Worst Game Of The Year - A Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy
  • It's such a weird game. When you start you're just amazed that you can see a planet from the one youre on, get in a ship and just fly to it. I don't think thats ever been done before in such a way. But after that theres almost nothing to do and there are no interactions which allow you to make your own stories.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • Horses for courses. There was enough going on for me that I played it solidly for a month and didn't once think about playing anything else.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Scots is nms your vote?
  • Vela wrote:
    Which is surprising to see given the quality of capcom games like MH and even some recent phoenix wright games apparently. Haven't played them but they have a solid reputation.

When most of the fighting game regulars are putting a fighting game as their worst game of the year, you know someone done fucked up. 

Monster Hunter and Phoenix Wright is one thing, but SFV appears to have had to be bailed out by Sony to complete development, was then rushed onto the shelves way before it was ready and has enjoyed a long and tortuous string of bad press since release including but not limited to finding out the network development was done by a single dude, late DLC and let's not forget the time the anti-cheat patch installed a root kit on the PC version.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I realise Sf4 had multiple iterations but what I don't get is why, if they were so limited on budget, they didn't just do one more iteration for next get consoles.
    They could have added a few more characters, upscale graphics and the Story (lol) and had a release most fans would have bought into.
  • I need to check reg's goty before voting here
  • SF4's last iteration did come out for PS4 I think. 

The problem for Capcom is the pro tour competition, which runs from Feb-December. They had to commit to SFV for the competition for the sales and marketing, and also because the tournament takes a whole year to run so if they ran USF4 they really couldnt release SFV until 2017, maybe they wanted to do that, and Sony told them to go fuck themselves because they wanted their money paying back.

Either way, it was a colossal fuck up. Street Fighter is the biggest game in the fighting game tournament circuit and it fucking sucks that fans have to put up with this dog shit when all of the other developers (who are all smaller) that rep the other most popular games (SNK, Arc System Works, Neatherealms and Namco) are all managing to have their shit together for their first installments on the new consoles. 

In an ideal world this game would die SF3 style and would have to be resurrected by a thorough overhaul, sadly a lot of players aren't willing to dip their toes into the other games and so Capcom are largely going to get away with releasing an absolute coathanger abortion.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Can they not go back to SF4?
  • No Man's Sky - I've played it for about 40 minutes in total - as soon as I'd flown from one planet to another I knew I'd seen all I'd wanted to.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    TheDJR wrote:
    I need to check reg's goty before voting here

It's Hitman. Yr move.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    danclarke wrote:
    No Man's Sky - I've played it for about 40 minutes in total - as soon as I'd flown from one planet to another I knew I'd seen all I'd wanted to.

Updated
  • Yeah I went with No mans sky too. Even though I loved it it's still a terrible game.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Will update
  • I'm ready to commit.

Worst game:  Dino Dini's Kick Off Revival
    A horrible, broken, incomplete mess. People who level the tech-demo argument at No Man's Sky should have seen this at launch. It's barely even a proof of concept. An absolute rip-off.

Second Worst:  Virginia
    Narrowly escapes the top spot because it actually works, there's nothing actually broken, it clearly does what the makers intended. It's just that what they intended is such pure, distilled shite.

Third Worst:  TrackMania Turbo
    Pips Oxenfree purely on the grounds that I haven't given Oxenfree a fair crack of the whip, and I'm not likely to in the next few months. TMT is a good game for what it is, but what it is is a pile of shite compared to what it's supposed to be. It's rare for developers to get their own game so spectacularly wrong, but that's what Nadeo did here.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Good work, shall update
  • Damn the Virginia hate is real, idgi, I had a blast! I miss CCH Pounder and Fat Halpert already.

Not looking to start arguments, I can understand why it rubbed people the wrong way (but I would like more things like that, I enjoyed visual story time, reminded me a bit of Inside, but with less puzzles and amorphous kronenbourg blobs).
  • Can they not go back to SF4?

Capcom can't go back to SF4 for their own tournament, marketing sudoku. Plus the whole tournament side of things needs to move on anyway fron the organisers perspective as well to avoid stagnating and going back to the darkest timeline of the mid 2000s.

It's just a shame because Capcom once again, just like Resi, just like DMC appear to be hell bent on wiping their arse with as many of their big franchises as possible atm.
  • DMC was great tho, people just wrote it off because of the style shift. Combat was great.
  • Specially once you got all the weapons. I did a second playthrough straight after finishing it and it was a blast. That nightclub level was brilliant. Plus TV boss.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Good to hear, maybe they can do a DMC on SFV!
  • It didn't reach the heights of DMC/3 but it was a different game. The only thing that would have improved it would have been sorting the colour-coded enemies out somehow. Decent idea, kinda roughly implemented.
  • The combat system was good enough, but it never flowed as well as I wanted it to. Also, most of the level design was pretty dull and the bosses were poor. The nightclub level was the highlight.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Bump for djr and anyone else who wants in. I still have to do mine. Number 1 is a lock tho...
  • regmcfly wrote:
    TheDJR wrote:
    I need to check reg's goty before voting here

It's Hitman. Yr move.

Damn you

• Anyway, my vote goes to No Man's Sky.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Cheers, DJR. Added to the list. No change at the top, but NMS has a commanding 2nd place.
  • 1 No Man's Sky
    2 Uncharted 4

I don't have a 3.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Will add.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    No change at the top, but NMS going for it.
  • Unless I don't understand the scoring system, Uncharted 4 is in there twice. Does it therefore win?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!