GOTY 2016 - the real one
  • I think he wants me to post it.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • I just need to play this game soon so I know who is right and who is wrong. Sorry for the delay in settling the matter. You'll have to make do with your 'opinions' till then.
  • The Division and Hitman might actually stay 1 and 2 for me. Division just so solid. Hitman great, but not tipping itself over the edge just yet.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The relationship and bond with Trico relies heavily on what games are - interactive- as, without that interactivity, it'd be just another cute Ghibli animal.

See, I'd rather it was a Ghibli film, as the interactivity you're talking about there actually fell on its arse for me. Smacking the dumb catbird in the face with barrel after barrel and having it ruin a moment where the two characters bonded with an embrace by repeatedly nutting the boy away are clumsy and immersion breaking. You wouldn't have had any of that with a film, any clumsy signs of affection would have been deliberate and not the outcome of a wonky physics engine and collision detection.

Crayon made a good point on the other page, if it clicks then it's great, but if you glimpse behind the curtain the illusion shatters.
  • The relationship and bond with Trico relies heavily on what games are - interactive- as, without that interactivity, it'd be just another cute Ghibli animal.

See, I'd rather it was a Ghibli film, as the interactivity you're talking about there actually fell on its arse for me. Smacking the dumb catbird in the face with barrel after barrel and having it ruin a moment where the two characters bonded with an embrace by repeatedly nutting the boy away are clumsy and immersion breaking. You wouldn't have had any of that with a film, any clumsy signs of affection would have been deliberate and not the outcome of a wonky physics engine and collision detection.

Crayon made a good point on the other page, if it clicks then it's great, but if you glimpse behind the curtain the illusion shatters.

Well yes, you can just imagine I've added "if it works for that player" in brackets after each point I make.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Inside at 7th is a fucking disgrace.

All of you fannies talking about manbeardog and his little twat mate need to buy that and play it and see a real game. 7th ffs.

Disgusting, all of you.
  • you've gone soft
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Cease this madness tempu I have to set examples now
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    PS thumper would be number one but I never got into it cos scrub

1k baby, 1k in this. Touch me.
  • What are the chances I would like Inside when I didn't like Limbo? I never finished that because I found the puzzles uninspiring and the visuals too monotonous (literallly, I guess). Inside looks more interesting, but if the gameplay's very similar it wouldn't be worth it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Very high I'd say. I didn't get on with limbo much. Inside grabbed me instantly.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    There are little moments that put a smile on your face as you discover another gameplay element. Really is good.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's very similar imo. I reckon you'll find it "ok".
  • Maybe when it's on sale sometime then. It is high on a lot of GOTY lists.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    It's good for sure but not amazing.
  • Good in that it's better than most other things, yes.
  • One thing it blows TLG out of the water with is empathy with a creature on the screen. MASSIVE end of game spoiler:

Spoiler:

It also beats TLG by having puzzles that are actually puzzles, a more interesting environment despite fewer colours, reliably sharp controls that still convey a sense of clumsiness, and no unnecessary padding.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    INSIDE is fucking amazeballs.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I've rarely agreed with our GOTY selections. It's just the way it goes. I've read far too much on both sides of the TLG debate here already, and I don't even go in its thread.

Would rather discuss games further down the list at this stage.

For me, The Witness is getting underrated, but top ten fot an indie is always decent. More surprising is how low XCom 2 is. I thought that would be popular
  • I thought Inside was good. But it's a mish mash of different bits that don't really go anywhere before it's on to the next thing and the next thing and then it ends. It shifts gears between a few shallow gameplay types without ever really developing any of them.

Still, it's short, packed with ideas and some bits work really well, including THAT bit.
  • The witness is top tier game. It guides you wordlessly to become an ingame genius. It does that thing where minibosses are initially hard but are truly noddy once you've levelled up - with the main difference being your actual knowledge and skills being the things that level up rather than some behind the scenes numbers.

Excellent stuff.
  • It's not even 'show don't tell' - you learn from actually doing. It's very empowering and feels like the game trusts you and your abilities, which is rare.
  • Inside is Limbo's final form, so if you didn't like that I doubt it'd make the cut for your list.
  • It's worth a gamble though, I think it made 2nd place on mine.
  • JonB wrote:
    I've rarely agreed with our GOTY selections. It's just the way it goes. I've read far too much on both sides of the TLG debate here already, and I don't even go in its thread.

Would rather discuss games further down the list at this stage.

For me, The Witness is getting underrated, but top ten fot an indie is always decent. More surprising is how low XCom 2 is. I thought that would be popular
    I love xcom2 but always think how it would fit better on a handheld. Would love to see it on the switch but fairly unlikely
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    The witness is top tier game. It guides you wordlessly to become an ingame genius. It does that thing where minibosses are initially hard but are truly noddy once you've levelled up - with the main difference being your actual knowledge and skills being the things that level up rather than some behind the scenes numbers. Excellent stuff.

It's 9/10 - 10/10 amazing, but it can be infuriating at times.
    Wish I could play TLG to compare it to...

They both had a very protracted development process, but where questions can be levelled against TLG for the use of development time, it's very hard to do the same with The Witness, because it has to be one of the most polished computer games ever made.

It's understanding of user/player psychology is above and beyond anything I've seen, barring perhaps, a select few Nintendo games, and a similarly small number of software products in other fields.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Dishonored is a funny one to me. It has all of the technical aspects of a greatest ever game. Superb variety, rpg elements, a kind of interesting story, first person. but there's something too mechanical about it that means I can't actually love the game properly.

If you mean Dishonored 2 (i.e. this years contender for GotY) then it's lacking some of the magic of the first one.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Updated list

1)  Forza Horizon 3
    2)  Deathtrap:  World of Van Helsing
    3)  Spelunky
    4)  Costume Quest 2

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!