GOTY 2016 - the real one
  • Final list. Out goes Firewatch, in comes Overwatch

1) The Flame in the Flood - spent an awful lot of time floating downstream on my raft, with my dog, stopping off at various deserted islands to scavenge for supplies, avoiding bears and crafting shit on the way. All to the backdrop of an awesome soundtrack. Just one more island...
    2) The Division - interest totally reinvigorated by the updates and DLC - setting is king - love just wandering around and taking in the sites...shooting stuff. Obviously. Survival pushes it up..

We'll there's a good reason for me to start on flame and flood.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Can u get my vote in for GotY 2017? Skyrim Switch please.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Is FFXII remaster this year? That gets my vote.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    My 2nd place vote

2. DOOM
  • Just finished LG. The last half an hour was the most I've felt anything from a game, maybe even film or book, ever. Silent Hill 2 was the closest I can think of. That game was a constant descent, this a constant ascent, so they dovetail beautifully in the category of phenomenal games I'll probably only play once.

They share a unity of gameplay reinforcing narrative and narrative informing gameplay that's the best I've enjoyed. And that carries through to their obvious turn-offs, the unwieldy, unpredictable nature of the camera and controls in LG, like a reationship between a boy and a giant tame beast might be, and in SH2 the fixed perspective creating corners unseeable, disorientating you and forcing an accidental stumble into the darkness.

Games are really fucking good sometimes.

I'm not making a list though because didn't many enough games finish did I. I ran out of grammar
  • Just do a top 3 or whatever for what you did manage.
  • just started titanfall 2 today. it would be #3 if i could be bothered to find my old post and change it.
  • Just finished LG. The last half an hour was the most I've felt anything from a game, maybe even film or book, ever. Silent Hill 2 was the closest I can think of. That game was a constant descent, this a constant ascent, so they dovetail beautifully in the category of phenomenal games I'll probably only play once. They share a unity of gameplay reinforcing narrative and narrative informing gameplay that's the best I've enjoyed. And that carries through to their obvious turn-offs, the unwieldy, unpredictable nature of the camera and controls in LG, like a reationship between a boy and a giant tame beast might be, and in SH2 the fixed perspective creating corners unseeable, disorientating you and forcing an accidental stumble into the darkness. Games are really fucking good sometimes. I'm not making a list though because didn't many enough games finish did I. I ran out of grammar

Ah, another true believer.

Nice write up Nick.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Facewon wrote:
    Final list. Out goes Firewatch, in comes Overwatch

1) The Flame in the Flood - spent an awful lot of time floating downstream on my raft, with my dog, stopping off at various deserted islands to scavenge for supplies, avoiding bears and crafting shit on the way. All to the backdrop of an awesome soundtrack. Just one more island...
    2) The Division - interest totally reinvigorated by the updates and DLC - setting is king - love just wandering around and taking in the sites...shooting stuff. Obviously. Survival pushes it up..

We'll there's a good reason for me to start on flame and flood.

Won't change list as it's one attempt, but first trip down river showed a lot of promise.

Gonna say more folks should try flame and flood.

• Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    1) Doom. Scarily addictive, excellent map design, atmospheric, fast and frenetic. Perfection.

2) Titanfall 2. Solid single-player mode with solid mechanics and some excellent mechanic-changers to mix things up.

3) Forza Horizon 3. Not a huge driving game really but this series really changes that for me. Very open in both it's world and with choices given to the player about how to approach the game. Will be playing right up until FH4 comes out.

4) Firewatch. Beautiful looking and left me with a constant feeling of dread as the story unfolded. Thought the 'relationship' between the two main characters was executed brilliantly.

5) Inside. The opening three-quarters of the game is excellent. Interesting puzzles on another level to the also superb Limbo. Thought it lost a little after the twist and found I didn't care as much about the lead but all in all a great experience.

Notable mentions (but didn't get enough time to really explore). Overcooked, Overwatch, The Division, Oxenfree, Final Fantasy XV, Lego Star Wars: TFA, Furi, Dishonoured 2.
  • Pretty sure I could be talked into arguing division > destiny.
  • Yeah, Face, you're not even close to forming your own opinions. Sheesh.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Pretty sure I could be talked into arguing division > destiny.
    Totally agree, but mechanically they share many of the same problems.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Now, now, they're both shit.
  • haha
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Facewon wrote:

Hmm. I'd argue The Division is way better solo, but it then doesn't have anything like the pure brilliance of Vault of Glass for MP shenanigans.

Loved them both.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Last minute entry...

1. Inside - Loved every minute and every aspect of it. I'd go so far as to say it rekindled my gaming fire that had been smouldering somewhat of late. A triumph.

2. Forza Horizon 3 - The size and variation of this world, combined with the looks is often breathtaking. Throw in an obscene amount of cars, a dream handling model and a bunch of badgers and there's not much that can beat it.

3. Superhot - A superb twist on a shooter and one I'll definitely be returning to. A faith restorer along with Inside.

4. The Division - I didn't stick with it as long as others but those initial few months were fantastic and hardly anything else got a look in during that time. Best played with a team but the mechanics and AI are solid enough that solo runs are still great.

5. Titanfall 2 - A surprisingly excellent and varied campaign sees this one break the top five. Thoroughly enjoyed the SP but the MP has yet to grab me in the same way as the first which might have seen it climb higher.

I'd hoped to play Firewatch and Doom before the deadline but just didn't get time. Will get them done in the next couple of weeks though so may revisit this if even for my own satisfaction.

Also, I'd be interested to get a ruling on Rocket League - is it only year of original release that counts or does it coming out on xbone last year qualify?
  • Rocket League is one of my most enjoyed games of 2016 so it would get my vote if i could but then again i played it on PS4 before 2016 i think so i can't personally
  • Facewon wrote:

Hmm. I'd argue The Division is way better solo, but it then doesn't have anything like the pure brilliance of Vault of Glass for MP shenanigans.

Loved them both.

Absolutely agree re solo.

Perhaps I'm unkind to destiny because I was there for the beginning when it was a skeleton. I came to division post last major patch and survival basically came out just as I was finishing up with other aspects of the game.

World tiers, one coherent map, ability to do stuff while matchmaking, it's really rather good on so many fronts. Working out gear and sets and crafting is a bit of a ball ache, but Ive had enough fun just waiting for random drops anyway.

Another epic survival run for me just now too.

Saw areas I haven't explored again.

I don't know if I could face roaming the cosmodrome again to shoot level 4 enemies.
  • Struggled a long time to make this list and intended to do it via keyboard for legibility but stuck doing it via phone.

1. Total War: Warhammer
    I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the TW series, since spending a summer holiday sat playing Shogun with my dad. Warhammer comes with the added delight of being Warhammer, a hobby I was very much into when I spent that summer holiday at my dad's place. This is essentially the perfect fusion of nostalgia, franchise and engine for me. It got me back into painting models (see Boardgame thread) as hobby, and that would be enough to secure it as Number 1.

I reckon that reasoning would be a bone of contention for a lot of people so luckily it's also the best Total War game. Each faction feels unique to play as and against, in both lore, appearance aims and tactics, and the overarching campaign that mirrors the End Times story has plenty of narrative drive. The DLC is rather pricey but the game has the advantage of evolving to accommodate it without you purchasing it, meaning the map is always mutating to introduce new factions. It is the ultimate synthesis of hobby and possibility space - Warhammer has always begged for a proper strategy port, and this is it, and it's wonderful.

2. Thumper
    This game is the result hellish clarity of purpose and execution. It's a twisting torture device. It's Rez but punishing rather than pleasurable. It's white hot pokers stabbed into your eyes for 30 minute stints. It's the agony of losing the rhythm and the disconnect from the trance state that comes with it. I can't fault it, because it's exactly what it promised it would be. Particularly, the way it takes components of songs and builds on and expands upon them over the various stages, filling in blank beats with fiddly flourishes ends up making it a unique and compelling rhythm game.

3. Darkest Dungeon
    A weird pick for me because I usually feel like picking a game you haven't finished is kind of doing the whole idea of picking a top 5 a bit of a disservice (especially as i've played enough to make picking a top 5 a matter of exclusion) but I've played enough of Darkest Dungeon in Early Access and release to feel secure in its inclusion.

Darkest Dungeon is another rougelike that takes the works of H. P. Lovecraft and tries to gameify then. Like Sunless Sea before it, sanity is a key element, but DD is more interested in the stress of proximity than the stress of the unknowable. It's a dunegeon crawler where failure is inevitable, and you need to do your best to mitigate. You don't make big plays that leave your party immaculate, you get undone by critical hits and devestating misses that tear your party apart in body and mind.

All of its mechanics act in confluence wth each other: excursions to the dungeons yield loot and rewards, but also debilitating diseases and quirks. Characters become obsessed with the undead, with sex, gambing, and self flagellation, they get the yips, become afraid of the dark, of death, of the light. Managing these affectations becomes a whole dimension of the game that sets it apart from X-Com. You don't name your heroes after your friends in Darkest Dungeon, because they're meat for the grinder, fuel for the engine. Their flesh and their sanity are resources to trade for success. The combat isn't too shabby either.

4. The Witness
    Jonathon Blow is a total fucking genius, and The Witness is testament to his brilliance, and his team's dedication to an idea. It is a video game by a man disillusioned with most games, and delights in its artifice in ways that are joyful to behold. Its ability to teach your without words, and the way it makes almost every facet of its world an elaborate puzzle to be solved is are both brilliant ideas that have rarely been realised as well as they have here. It might wear its philosophies rather heavily on its sleeve, but in doing so it at least adheres to them rather than capitulating in the face of entertainment. I'd go on, but it's best experienced blind.

5. DOOM
    It was a tie between this and Titanfall 2 for the FPS inclusion, but DOOM. pipped it for nailing the Platinum style combat loop at the core. It's a pure game, free of moral concern or narrative grandstanding: these are demons, they can be destroyed without reproach. The glory kill conceit looked dubious in reveals, but in the hand it is a joy, brutal punctuations in an endless flurry of gunshot.

There's probably a case to argue out the bosses which lose the impact of the puzzle style combat arenas that make up the game, and the perk system whilst brilliant was constantly distracting me from the violence at hand, but they're minor issues when the rest of the game is so proficient in its central aims. After years of FPS games losing their way, it's great to see the king come for his crown.

Notable Mentions
    Titanfall 2 - a campaign that was lightning in a bottle, furiously inventive and forward facing, and an exhilarating multiplayer to boot

Oxenfree - a delightful story of teens and ghosts on an abandoned island with a sumptuous aesthetic.

Duskers - the closest you can get to experiencing the horror of Alien, it transforms your PC into a spaceship floating through empty space, using a series of drones and crude menus as your only method of interacting with a sparse and hostile universe.

Furi - a rhythm game masking a a combat game, with some arena shooter elements chucked in for free. Too cool for school aesthetics, and a delightful roster of devilish delinquents to dethrone.

Monster Hunter Generations - It's monster hunter.

Hitman - The social side of James Bond mixed with Peter Sellers and absurd theatre. It's murder as performance, a grand dance of pastiche and comedy, the funniest game in years and perhaps the only AAA comedy game ever.

Firewatch - a beautiful game of loss, longing, and the propensity of life to fail to resolve itself neatly.

Superhot - a sublime twist on an old classic, prevented from greatness by a ridiculous and overbearing plot that refuses to shut up and let you play. When it is quiet, it's excellent, it just needs to be quieter more often.

XCOM 2 - 20 hours of impressions suggest it is absolute greatness, but thanks to some DLC mishaps I didn't get to explore it deeply enough to really get to grips with its intricacies.

Overwatch - this is absolutely great but I don't have a crew to play with so I can't really say i've loved it. It's everything that's good about MOBAs condensed into an arena shooter with that typical level of Blizzard competence.

Inside - a delirious experience when it feels seamless and and cinematic, but too often robs itself of steam for unnecessary puzzling. A great climax with some great themes, but again hampered by its puzzling.

Two Things I Wanted to Play But Missed
    Final Fantasy XV - just slipped through the gaps sadly, I really wanted to play more of it but after an initial burst I just stopped and didn't go back.

The Last Guardian - Didn't buy it,had no chance to play it, looks like my kind of thing though.

That's about it. I probably missed a bunch of stuff but my head tells me I am being fairly comprehensive at least.
  • Will update later. Good to finally see another voter for Superhot.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • You like the finishing move thing in Doom, huh Tempy? I played the demo and that was the only thing that stopped me instantly buying it. I really want to play it now.
  • It's integral to the flow of combat. It takes a while for the game to become tough enough for it to click, but it's basically the from the same school of design philosophy as Bloodborne - to get back health you needs to be on the offensive. The trick in DOOM is that the less health you have, the more health a glory kill gives you back. It invited you to toe the line for optimal play. Also there is a power up that lets you spam them for a duration and it's amazing.
  • I've had a nightmare with games for this
  • Doom is only just missing out on this for me.
  • Hmm. Despite playing about 20 on that list I've not finished any of them. Plus Rocket League is far and away the best game of last year and this year so I'm NOT VOTING.
  • Glad TLG won though. More of that stuff, less of the other stuff.
  • Tempy wrote:
    It's integral to the flow of combat. It takes a while for the game to become tough enough for it to click, but it's basically the from the same school of design philosophy as Bloodborne - to get back health you needs to be on the offensive. The trick in DOOM is that the less health you have, the more health a glory kill gives you back. It invited you to toe the line for optimal play. Also there is a power up that lets you spam them for a duration and it's amazing.

I do wonder what is an acceptable amount of time to allow it to hook in. I was playing some yakuza and a lot of that first chapter is so fucking nothing that I could easily have given up. Luckily I stuck until some stupid side quest and I'm totally into the game now.

On the other hand with doom I sort of played a couple of chapters. Found the combat a bit easy (normal mode) and everything sort of parallel scaled (weapons v monsters) so the rhythms felt largely samey. Maybe I quit too early but by the time I'd got lost a couple of times around as rat maze and fell into lava while on a thin plank the game lost any patience I had stored for it.

(the smashing monitors jokes were good - but conflictingly doom man was still following despite shows of belligerence)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!