GOTY 2016 - the real one
  • Sorry, may have missed it. I'll check other thread again. Or could you post here please?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I did post here, on the first page.  Here it is again.
    Raiziel wrote:
    1. No Man's Sky Flawed? Yes. But an unforgettable experience. Taking off from my starter planet for the first time and flying directly to a local moon and getting out to a explore a new world will stay with me as a favourite gaming experience forever. 2 Ratchet and Clank It's Rachet and Clank! I love those guys and they always come packing an awesome game. This one, their first outing on the current generation, is polished to the highest of sheens. Oodles of fun, and that's all it takes to keep me happy. No more list padding from me.
    Get schwifty.
  • Errrrr... Oops?

:D

I'll add next update.
  • I should probably play Dark Souls 3.
  • Going to have to wait for Dishonored 2 and the Last Guardian to arrive before I cast my votes. I have a feeling these will feature high on the list. It's been a strong year for me, so I'll probably struggle to pick 5 and order them.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Turns out Rhythm Paradise Megamix is GOTY.

Gg everyone
  • This is my bah humbug moment, as it seems to be every year:

This type of thread, by its very nature, will not reward the best game. It will reward the game of the highest quality that the most people have played.

Forza, Dark Souls, uncharted, overwatch...good games, sure, but are they they best? Who knows, but one of them will win by virtue of broad popularity. And for that reason I am, as always, out.
  • Winning isn't everything.

I like this thread to see what games people still rate after they're done with them. The indie games that only 3 people played aren't going to get all the points, but sometimes it's enough if a couple of people mention them to realise they're worth a shot.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Nothing will convince me to play Wank Souls 3
  • This is my bah humbug moment, as it seems to be every year:

This type of thread, by its very nature, will not reward the best game. It will reward the game of the highest quality that the most people have played.

Forza, Dark Souls, uncharted, overwatch...good games, sure, but are they they best? Who knows, but one of them will win by virtue of broad popularity. And for that reason I am, as always, out.

I only vote so I can get my spiel in about stuff I like, and read other people's justifications, I don't really care what wins because it's rarely any more of an interesting outcome than the Gamespot or IGN lists, but people's writing on stuff is always fun.

What I am saying is please vote cinty
  • JonB wrote:
    Winning isn't everything. I like this thread to see what games people still rate after they're done with them. The indie games that only 3 people played aren't going to get all the points, but sometimes it's enough if a couple of people mention them to realise they're worth a shot.

This is one of the reasons I like GotY and what I use it for, as I'm sure I've mentioned before. Sure the likes of Dark Souls will come the top and I'll play them anyway. But if a few people vote, I dunno, Virginia then I know I should probably play it.
  • @hylian_elf Sorry mate but I think you've missed out Dinostar77's vote (towards the bottom of page 1).

Can't see as I'll play any other new games this year so I'll post my favourites later on.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Turns out Rhythm Paradise Megamix is GOTY.

Gg everyone

I'm annoyed by a few things. The story is annoying and slows game. But more annoyingly some of the music for the games is changed and worse. Hopefully the good music is in later in the game.

• This is my bah humbug moment, as it seems to be every year: This type of thread, by its very nature, will not reward the best game. It will reward the game of the highest quality that the most people have played. Forza, Dark Souls, uncharted, overwatch...good games, sure, but are they they best? Who knows, but one of them will win by virtue of broad popularity. And for that reason I am, as always, out.

Well no, they aren't, that's currently Ratchet and Clank, and will be Last Guardian. in December.

Also, not participating because you don't think your game will win, if everyone thinks that way ensures it won't. What if there are 20 people that love some tat that came on Plus or GWG, but don't bother joining in because they don't think anyone else will pick it? Gone from GotY to not even on the list.

Every year, nearly all my picks I'm the only one. WHAT IF YOU WOULD HAVE PICKED THEM TOO CINTY?
  • @hylian_elf Sorry mate but I think you've missed out Dinostar77's vote (towards the bottom of page 1).

Can't see as I'll play any other new games this year so I'll post my favourites later on.

Elitism, the common man can't even get his vote counted ;)

• I have a secret list of users whose favourites I'm particularly interested in each year.
  • Dammit. I blame being busy quoting from other thread at the time, hence missed Raiziel's and Dino's too.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I have a secret list of users whose favourites I'm particularly interested in each year.
    I hope it's ordered with the top 5 each getting a paragraph of text explaining why.
  • This is my bah humbug moment, as it seems to be every year: This type of thread, by its very nature, will not reward the best game. It will reward the game of the highest quality that the most people have played. Forza, Dark Souls, uncharted, overwatch...good games, sure, but are they they best? Who knows, but one of them will win by virtue of broad popularity. And for that reason I am, as always, out.

Well no, they aren't, that's currently Ratchet and Clank, and will be Last Guardian. in December.

Also, not participating because you don't think your game will win, if everyone thinks that way ensures it won't. What if there are 20 people that love some tat that came on Plus or GWG, but don't bother joining in because they don't think anyone else will pick it? Gone from GotY to not even on the list.

Every year, nearly all my picks I'm the only one. WHAT IF YOU WOULD HAVE PICKED THEM TOO CINTY?

It's not about whether "my" game would win or not - it's about this type of vote being as pointless in determining the best game as it is for the public Song of the Year competition.

But yeah, I know people have fun with it and find games they might not have played otherwise - that's cool, I just dislike list threads other than Stu's classic Top 100.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    But if a few people vote, I dunno, Virginia then I know I should probably play it.

You definitely shouldn't, btw.
  • Andy wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    But if a few people vote, I dunno, Virginia then I know I should probably play it.

You definitely shouldn't, btw.

But this is where the other thread did the same thing. You'll recall I mentioned Virginia in the Xbox thread, and then it appeared in the worst of the year list. Helped short-list some things for me.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I have a secret list of users whose favourites I'm particularly interested in each year.
    I hope it's ordered with the top 5 each getting a paragraph of text explaining why.

1) Acemuzzy. A one-man paradigm. A thought gamer. A gamer's gamer. A leader among men.

Notable absences
    - Elf. Cos he's a moron.

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    For me I don't care if the "best" game doesn't win, it's interesting to see the ones that have been enjoyed most. You just need to read it in the light, and not assume you'll like games equally to everyone else.
  • Nintendo games will never win badger goty. I can imagine them crying in their cornflakes.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Presumably that means Amiboo collecting Nintendards are already weeping into theirs? Jolly good.

What wins doesn't really matter, put a good word in for the games you've enjoyed this year and find out what others have enjoyed. No good getting bitter about your favourite game not being everyone's cup of tea.
  • Nahhh if FH3 doesn't win I'm gonna cut the lot of yous
  • Nintendo games will never win badger goty. I can imagine them crying in their cornflakes.

Didnt Galaxy win GOTG though?

Xbots crying into their defective amsung disc trays and hd-dvd collections
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I dunno, I'd imagine it's the type of thing an Amiibo botherer would cling on to though.

Come to think of it I can't remember any of the previous winners of these things.
  • I dunno, I'd imagine it's the type of thing an Amiibo botherer would cling on to though. Come to think of it I can't remember any of the previous winners of these things.

Exactly. Leigh Alexander in one of her Edge columns a couple years back wrote pretty much the same point you made earlier this page.

No-one (should) really give a fuck about making an 'objective' best games of the year list. It should always be about favourites, not best. 

And fuck you, the woolly yoshi amiibos are amazeballs.
    Spoiler:
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I remember Destiny winning and actually being quite upset

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!