GOTY 2016 - the real one
  • There's kinda 2 ways to look at the destiny vote.

Thread is still going, so I assume folks are still playing, so it's doing something right and folks could kinda see that.

Or, yeah, hype train and it's bad issues didn't stop the crack addiction. Forced it's way to the top because of hours played.

I still have love. I'd be tempted to jump back in at some point.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • There's a class of game where it's as much about fooling around with chums and a community as it is about a top tier game.

There's no way that any other game company could have released destiny 1 as it was and it wouldn't be free to play within a month and shuttered in 6.
  • There's no way that any other game company could have released destiny 1 as it was and it wouldn't be free to play within a month and shuttered in 6.

Fair call.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Forza may barge it's way to the top of my list. Too much fun on FNF.

Ah, so you do understand why Destiny won.
  • No cos Destiny was no fun.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Dammit, why don't you bite?

Wait... I just got trolled by you, didn't I?!

D'OH!
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    We need Elf to tabulate a summary of all previous "best of" threads, across all forum iterations, with links and graphs and trend analysis

The thought crossed my mind.  Several times.  But no graphs and shit.  Just some way of averaging position etc.  Won't work, but could be 'fun'.
  • JonB wrote:
    Mario Galaxy was game of the generation or something.

Yes.  Who was it that said a Ninty game will never win GotY?!  In fact, the B&B GOTG for the previous gen was Metroid Prime.

NINTARDS REJOICE
  • UPDATED.  Hopefully I've captured the missing and new lists now.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Dammit, why don't you bite? Wait... I just got trolled by you, didn't I?! D'OH!

He shoots, he scores.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Football Manager should win every year but you're all too busy shooting enemies in the head or driving a fucking car or building fucking treasure chests you lunatics.
  • Badball Badager
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    In what other game that isn't Japanese could you fall in love with 15yo lads who become world beaters.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Might do a Bear and badger team cos I'm a sad cunt.

Reg in net.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    20 goals let in per game
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    Mario Galaxy was game of the generation or something.
    Yes.  Who was it that said a Ninty game will never win GotY?!  In fact, the B&B GOTG for the previous gen was Metroid Prime. NINTARDS REJOICE

There's long enough between iterations and such that who knows.

The Ninty last win would have coincided with a time where a lot of us where more likely to play more games, and own more consoles. That's certainly my experience. Given my Bone is 80% media centre now, I guess I won't ninty again unless they go software only or go into arms race with the other two. (I've not checked specs on switch....)

Prime though, what a cracker.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So I'm feeling like I'm tentatively ready to put a list together. This may be subject a bump or so one way or the other, but 5 games over a very strong year have stood out.

Shout out to both Virginia and Overwatch - two games that really grabbed me for a bit and entertained in very different ways. Virginia hit the very best of Blendo (shout out) stuff and Overwatch is kind of beautiful in so many ways. Nonetheless here we go. Minor shout to azure Striker gunvolt 2 - what fun. One more shout out to the insanity o Pocket Card Jockey - a game that shouldn't make sense but that does. Hard.

5. Forza Horizon 3
    Less a game, more a cult by now. It's dat smasho but now it has legit things going on in the sky and it's more colourful than ever and it has Vagrant radio (+10000000stylopoints). I haven't yet joined 'the cru' online and that means it may still have places to rise on the list. Let's not get into the 'only number 5' chat- I've played 50+ games this year, it's done right well. It's gorgeous, sunny, and fun. This is a bit of an overriding mentality for my list this year.

4.Bravely Second
    If anyone (anyone?) managed to land through the first Bravely game, they'd know that the first game ended on a meta slant that changes a lot about the game (not least the title). Second takes that concept, removes the roundaroundaround same boss fights from the first, makes the new protagonist a character called 'Yu' and makes that a massive plot point as it goes through the meta construct to the other end where you are essentially the game. I've never seen an RPG go this far narratively, and what I love about it is that something so overtly tropey does some wild stuff by the end. End Layer - just a title. It helps that another insanely great OST and gorgeous art design are present. Basically an RPG I am so fully invested in.

3. Mohan Generations
    It's mohan. Always going to end up high on the list, I sat in Tokyo downloading it as soon as it released in the eshop. Violent, frustrating, silly, methodical, beautiful, it's classic mohan but this time the barrier to entry is more accessible, there's multiple ways to play, it's a greatest hits of enemies. It's kind of exactly what I needed to see me through to Stories or whatever comes next on Switch. For me, Mohan is a special thing- for other people, it's nothing. I like that dichotomy.

2. Doom

Dat doom. Dat doot. Doom. The game you shoot fuds. It's fast. It's ridiculous. It's self aware - your character is called DOOM MARINE. It's legitimate. It's what doom should be in 2016. A stunner. A powerhouse- loud, nasty, raucous, ROCKOUS, it's John Romero making you his bitch, it's the new gen. it's stunning. Woulda been my GOTY were it not for....

1. Hitman

It ya boi 47. I've always enjoyed the hitman, excepting Absolution, which is REAALLLL garbage. But this reboot, with the monthly drops, it's a real special thing. I've gone back and done missions so many times with different goals, throwing cans of spaghetti at people, rocking out on guitars. It's the fucking dumbest game I've ever played and at the same time it's so damn intelligent. It's incredible. I still think Sapienza is a secret highlight, but the challenge of Colorado recently was amazing. Tokyo hasn't even dropped yet, but that's only gonna add to the value of the concept. It's nonsense, fun, an incredible sandbox, and I dropped a toilet on a military man.automatic goty
  • Reg playing enough games to keep the forum average respectable.

What's a Mohan?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's monster hunter!
  • He means monster hunter but is being a dweeb.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    He means monster hunter but is being a dweeboo

• Hitman is really good stuff. I hope it's a model that works because it'll get more people into it. it's almost the aluded to model of mgsv but was shut down because of Internet idiots.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Plus hitman levels have got better and better thanks to feedback
  • I dropped out as I conciously moved away from PS4 but I'm about half way through and ain't redo-ing. If I get into it again hopefully the grunt of a pc will mean the loading times won't be a hinderance to mess around play (or trying to achieve perfect play)
  • Remember you don't need to redo old missions, you can play it any order
  • Oh that's actually good to hear. I'd be happy to double dip I guess then!
  • The only new game I played this year was Uncharted 4. I enjoyed it but was disappointed that they
    Spoiler:
    While I enjoyed it, I probably wouldn't put it on a list of best of the year.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • To me, the bit in your spoiler was one of the best things about it. I'd rather both the unexplored crypt looting franchises put that behind them. It's easily the worst aspect of both.
  • I'd agree with Andy on that.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • I agree too.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!