#Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Once Upon a Time in the West, though.  Fuck.  Probably one of the greatest films ever made.  Ever.
    Get schwifty.
  • Agreed, and it got bad reviews on release. It has grown into maybe the best Western ever made. Henry Fonda... Jesus! Can you imagine the sound in the theatre when he got what was coming to him?
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Huge list of westerns and no sign of Unforgiven. What's the score gents?
  • Unforgiven is very good. Tombstone is decent too.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    XOMuggins wrote:
    Tombstone is decent too.

The fuck is this!?

Unforgiven is brilliant.

Tombstone is shit.
    Get schwifty.
  • Not a fan of Val Kilmer? I watch it for him really.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’m a fan of a good western.
    Get schwifty.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    XOMuggins wrote:
    Tombstone is decent too.

The fuck is this!?

Unforgiven is brilliant.

Tombstone is shit.

"I'll be your huckleberry!"

Loved it as a teenager, it gets worse on each rewatch, except for Val.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    XOMuggins wrote:
    Tombstone is decent too.
    The fuck is this!? Unforgiven is brilliant. Tombstone is shit.
    "I'll be your huckleberry!" Loved it as a teenager, it gets worse on each rewatch, except for Val.
    Yep, I agree with this. Some very silly stuff in it, but I love Val's performance.
  • The Hateful Eight - love that film.  Re-watching Slow West tonight, as RDR2 has given me Western fever. Yeehaw!
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Another shout for Hateful Eight, and Django of course. Two brilliant and brutal Westerns!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Tombstone gets the thumb right up, cracking cast. A fat Billy Bob Thornton being slapped at the bar isn't something to be sniffed at.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The Hateful Eight can go jump in a canyon.
  • Tombstone gets the thumb right up, cracking cast. A fat Billy Bob Thornton being slapped at the bar isn't something to be sniffed at.
    Haha
  • Kow wrote:
    The Hateful Eight can go jump in a canyon.
    Yup. An utterly dreadful film.
  • Some big visual nods to the Assassination of Jesse James in these trailers so far.
  • Talk about westerns and no one mentions Blazing Saddles. Crikey. What about Shane and High Noon?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I liked Dead Man at the time, mostly for the soundtrack and Iggy Pop's appearance. Haven't seen it since, though.
  • Skondo wrote:
    Talk about westerns and no one mentions Blazing Saddles. Crikey. What about Shane and High Noon?
    All classics. High Noon is particularly interesting for how John Wayne, utter bastard that he was, attacked the film as communist and un-American. It has more going on in it than most of Wayne's Westerns - excluding The Searchers and True Grit - and is just wonderfully constructed. Doom is coming, and it cannot be avoided. I only saw Shane fairly recently, when I bought it on iTunes, but it definitely deserves its reputation.
  • Kow wrote:
    I liked Dead Man at the time, mostly for the soundtrack and Iggy Pop's appearance. Haven't seen it since, though.
    It's probably more interesting than it is good, I suppose, but I enjoyed quite a bit when I saw it. Have watched it a couple of times since, and it still entertains. A mystical Western.

I thought of another good one: Bone Tomahawk, a Horror Western that while being slightly racist, is pretty damn good. Kurt Russell stars.
  • "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • So what is everyone hoping to see in Red Dead 2? I think the prospect of an open world as large and detailed as GTA V is very exciting. I am hoping that we get lots more ways to interact with the population, and going on the video above it seems we are going to get some new features. From the trailer there seems to be a chance that we'll get at least one compelling female character, which is a positive after GTA V didn't really have any of note. I spent hours and hours on Red Dead Redemption just pottering around the map and collecting animal skins and herbs. It is very exciting to think that as this is Rockstar's first game developed for the new generation, we could see something truly special.
  • Missed the westerns chat, so I'll high five Open Range, along with Assassination of Jesse James it's the best effort since Unforgiven imo.  

McCabe & Mrs. Miller would sneak into my top ten, which hasn't been mentioned.  I'd need to watch Three Burials again to confirm how much I like it (either a lot or A LOT).
  • If anyone really wants to get in the mood Lonesome Dove is an exceptional novel with a quality TV adaptation.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    If anyone really wants to get in the mood Lonesome Dove is an exceptional novel with a quality TV adaptation.
    Bret Hart's in that isn't he? I remember watching it years ago and it was tops.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Missed the westerns chat, so I'll high five Open Range, along with Assassination of Jesse James it's the best effort since Unforgiven imo.   McCabe & Mrs. Miller would sneak into my top ten, which hasn't been mentioned.  I'd need to watch Three Burials again to confirm how much I like it (either a lot or A LOT).
    Agree with Open Range. McCabe & Mrs. Miller, I haven't seen. Will check it out.
  • XOMuggins wrote:
    If anyone really wants to get in the mood Lonesome Dove is an exceptional novel with a quality TV adaptation.
    Bret Hart's in that isn't he? I remember watching it years ago and it was tops.

He's in something called Lonesome Dove: The Series, which does feature a character from the original novel/series (looking at imdb now), but I think it's an 'inspired by' thing as it doesn't seem to follow any of the McMurtry books.  The 1989 OG Tommy Lee Jones/Robert Duvall/Danny Glover LD is the one.
  • Ah okay. Will have a look for it.
  • XOMuggins wrote:
    So what is everyone hoping to see in Red Dead 2?.

I know what I'm not hoping to see. A return of the GTA mini-map, littered with alphabetty- spaghetti letters that I have to slavishly take missions from in order to unlock the second-half of the map. And yawnsome cutscenes every time I take said mission which I have to repeat over and over again because of the classic GTA , 'no save mid assignment!' structure. It's what kills every GTA for me; same for the last RDR.

I would have liked to have seen some Indians too. But it seems, just like it's predecessor, RDR2 has dodged that bullet by setting it at the end of the Western age. Would have loved R* to have tackled some of the themes highlighted by Dances with Wolves, but I guess they ain't got the cajones for that either.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Is there golf in it

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!