Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    A weird thing with ditching them for a while is that they know you've been away for a week or so as they'll come looking for you and Dutch will give you shit about it when you return. But they don't seem to care how much money you actually bring in.

So you fill up the camp coffers with a grand before you leave for a few days on a hunting/fishing trip for some peace and quiet, only to come back to some whining from the gang even though they still have hundreds of your donation left in the stash, supplies for days etc.

Then you check the ledger and they've all been perfectly happy chipping in with the odd packet of smokes or something. So they'd be happier with you popping by every couple of days with a can of peaches or something. Odd bunch.
  • In these days of toxic masculinity* this game is a fascinating example of what thousands of (mostly) young, white males with nearly unlimited time and money can create. At worst it's as bad as that sounds and at best it's pretty incredible. 

The dialogue can be ham-fisted and laughably tough and the missions mostly involve beating up or slaughtering lots of men. The best you can say of the female characters is that some of them are okay. They're mostly afterthoughts though, out-numbered a hundred to one, this is a game created by and obsessed with men.

But when it gels it weaves an incredible spell. I'd write down the adventure I had last night, but I'm sure you've dozens of your own. Suffice to say it involved some hillbillies, a cougar, a bear and a very steep cliff. And it was beautiful.

*I know.
  • Is there a western that isn't obsessed with men?
  • Is there a western that isn't obsessed with men?

Fair point and I guess merely by having women in it this is ahead of the curve. Maybe.

It's something more than that and it's not limited to this game but to be honest I'm not sure what I'm trying to articulate anymore, other than an impending existential crisis which causes me to mosey into work on a horse.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    It’s a man’s world.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    But it wouldn't be nuthin...
  • ...without a pair of shrinking horse testicles.
  • Online beta starts this week then.

Red Dead Redemption 2: Ultimate Edition players get access on Tuesday (November 27).

Everyone who played the game on the October 26 launch day gets to join in on Wednesday (November 28).

People who played the game between October 26 and 29 get Beta access on Thursday (November 29).

Finally, everyone who owns RDR2 can get in on the fun on Friday (November 30).

gAuDAjl.gif
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    What about people that don't own the game?
  • I think they got beta access yesterday.
  • To be fair, at least they are beta testing it and staggering the amount of people who can connect.

Remember launch day of GTAO!?!
  • Now that was hilarious.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I've still not been given access to that one.
  • Strange there’s no trailer for the beta
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Scenes when it's just saloon games at 10fps and hour long server queues.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    How many FPS do you need for a game of poker?
  • Wait, is that poker?  I don't know.
  • Goddammit, poker.
  • Still love this but played to the end of Chapter 3 last night and it contained a lot of what I feel is wrong with it
    Spoiler:
    (and a wee bit of what it does right)
    Spoiler:
    I appreciate it's tricky to balance the story with shooting pretend men but more protracted fights with 5 or 10 smarter enemies would be far more effective than the 50-100 dummies it regularly throws at you.

Anyways, rather than ramble on about it again, I'll get to the end and see how I feel about the story overall. It's hard to gauge the intention behind some things at the moment. Plus I hate the phrase ludonarrative dissonance and am currently tempted to use it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That's definitely a thing though, and you can't ignore it.
    Spoiler:
  • Aye, totally. A small thing on a similar note but it seemed weird that I had to kill the (Chapter 3 spoiler)
    Spoiler:
    It's funny because the game basically does what it wants and ignores a lot of conventional wisdom, but the flagship missions feel like they're playing to a specific audience, and playing it very safe. They're basically the same as GTAV, there was a robbery in that where
    Spoiler:
    Some missions are far smaller in scope and all the better for it. 

Just feels weird when they're clearly trying to add some gravitas to the story. 

And Dutch is basically a
    Spoiler:
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I had exactly the same reaction to that
    Spoiler:
  • I play the game like I play life. If people show the appropriate respect, they live, if they're sarcastic or have an ugly hat, they die. So it feels like a failing when Arthur behaves differently in the missions and cut-scenes. He's clearly meant to be a basically likeable blank slate but he's actually a blank dick. With a beautiful beard.

Actually, he's okay, just inconsistent. Not to LA Noire levels, but enough for it to be jarring.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    On the other hand I suppose there are absolute arseholes out there going on regular rampages who wonder what the fuck is up with Arthur when he's chilling out on a fishing mission or whatever. Equally jarring but coming from the other side of it.

The only way you can stop that is to drop the scripted stuff entirely and go for fully systemic, player controlled interactions, I don't think we're there yet but I look forward to it when it comes.
  • That's true. I like that I can put an arrow through the racist in Saint Denis's head despite him standing beside a policeman. Or lasso him and drag him through the streets with nobody batting an eyelid. Other people might think that's off. And there'll be folk wondering why Arthur's so sympathetic to those pesky feminists, too. 

I appreciate Rockstar won't want to put in too much effort for things a lot of players wont see but with this game they're doing a fair bit of that. Therefore it seems logical that since they're already tracking your morality they could reflect that more in the dialogue and options within missions. Twenty more nuanced missions might be preferable to the sixty or whatever we currently have.
  • Update is live. 'Bout 5.6gig on the BoneX. Could be worse.
  • On the other hand I suppose there are absolute arseholes out there going on regular rampages who wonder what the fuck is up with Arthur when he's chilling out on a fishing mission or whatever. Equally jarring but coming from the other side of it.

The only way you can stop that is to drop the scripted stuff entirely and go for fully systemic, player controlled interactions, I don't think we're there yet but I look forward to it when it comes.

Isn’t your solution basically BotW?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!