regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Sparky - you're a guy who did everything in game, so are probably quite fair on pointe. Can you gimme a proper summation of online? I don't quite know what it is or what it does.
  • this game is a weird mix of super slow omg its like really walking horsey simulator with giant jarring video game bits. 

BORED
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm not the best person to ask, only a couple of sessions, but it seems like a place for kids to grind more than a place for old fuds to shoot the breeze while knocking over a few co-op missions. I'm sure you can do that just fine but it doesn't draw me in the way single player does, feels very much like the lite version and having all the chill shit like poker and fishing either missing or behind level caps doesn't help that.

It may be a case of me wanting more content of the same level as the single player and the mp just falling short of my unfair expectations. I dunno, I'd like to say now that I'd like to come back to it later once they add more stuff but I said I'd do that with GTAV once they added the heists etc and never went back.

Trippy just said something in the GotY thread about the ability to defuse or antagonise in the single player, and I love that, but they've taken it out of the mp and it just feels a bit soulless in comparison. Empty and pointless. I dunno, it's a small difference from single player but they add up to a whole I just don't have the same feels for.
  • Heists in gta v were top lots and there's a mission where.
    Click if never going back.
    Spoiler:
    top lots and moments in them.
    Some are truly epic, especially the end of the heist missions.

I had some great fun on RDR2 mp but it NEEDS to be played in a posse to be enjoyed.

It's nowhere near as deep and enjoyable as gta v is but that took years to get there.

I also reckon parachute cars is one of the best/fun modes in gaming in general, only the menus to actually find them are so annoying and the load times too.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm not the best person to ask, only a couple of sessions, but it seems like a place for kids to grind more than a place for old fuds to shoot the breeze while knocking over a few co-op missions. I'm sure you can do that just fine but it doesn't draw me in the way single player does, feels very much like the lite version and having all the chill shit like poker and fishing either missing or behind level caps doesn't help that.

It may be a case of me wanting more content of the same level as the single player and the mp just falling short of my unfair expectations. I dunno, I'd like to say now that I'd like to come back to it later once they add more stuff but I said I'd do that with GTAV once they added the heists etc and never went back.

Trippy just said something in the GotY thread about the ability to defuse or antagonise in the single player, and I love that, but they've taken it out of the mp and it just feels a bit soulless in comparison. Empty and pointless. I dunno, it's a small difference from single player but they add up to a whole I just don't have the same feels for.

This is actually a good and nuanced review. Thank you.
  • g.man wrote:
    Long video, but this guy makes a lot of points about Rockstar's mechanics that resonate with my own thoughts.

Nakey Jakey is good. And he makes all the points here that I would make if I were someone who made videos for the internet.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    What points does he make? I only got to the one about freedom vs structure in Rockstar games, realised it took him five minutes to tap that one in and the thought of another half hour of that "style" finished me off.
  • I found parts of that hilarious. V dank shit.

Still to play this though so whatever.
  • Got this cos couldn't resist anymore.
    Onto chapter 2. So far it does everything i feared, but is doing it so well that I'm still on board - for now. Would still love an option to skip the trek and chatter at the start of a mission like.

One quick question, do you automatically contribute to the camp when you return, or do you have to manually deposit every tinned good and dollar?
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • So i've got this now. First impression: It's fucking amazing. Riding through those snowy mountains in cinematic view, wow.
  • Got this cos couldn't resist anymore.
    Onto chapter 2. So far it does everything i feared, but is doing it so well that I'm still on board - for now. Would still love an option to skip the trek and chatter at the start of a mission like.

One quick question, do you automatically contribute to the camp when you return, or do you have to manually deposit every tinned good and dollar?

Manual deposits, sir

Gamertag, PSN, NNID: mikemsp            3DS code: 3668 - 8117 - 9395

Currently playing: Bone
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Got this cos couldn't resist anymore.

Pro Tip: sell your shit at stores and just donate cash each time you're in camp, up to a maximum amount of $25 as that nets you the most good honour you can get in one go. I read up on it after I completed the story and face palmed pretty hard when thinking of the lump sums I chucked into the pot.
  • cheers
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • The mechanic doesn’t seem to work for me, at least in the early stages I’m at. They make it so easy to accidentally leave you wanted that I have to save all my money to pay off bounties, meaning there’s no way I can risk contributing to the camp. But it doesn’t seem to matter because there’s no meaningful consequence of that. Repeat.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    A meaningful consequence to being accidentally wanted and unable to contribute to the pot? What would you want to happen?
  • Well no, so far at least I’ve not contributed to the pot because I need to save my money to pay for bounties I shouldn’t really have got. But there’s been no meaningful consequence to not contributing. So, the two counter out which is sort of ok but it’d be better if both systems worked better. I.e. you don’t get an accidental wanted status so easily, and contributing meant more. If they’re going to have it at all.

Anyway, a convoluted way of saying it’s a great world but I’m finding there’s too much bloat and frustration to be pulling me back in. Right at this point it’s probaly my most disappointing (not worst) game of 2018, mostly because I spent £60 on it.
  • I'm trying to contribute medical supplies to the camp, but the map icon is greyed out with what looks like an exclamation mark next to it - what does that mean?

Rare for a game to live up to forum hype; enjoying it immensely at the moment!
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I think you have to upgrade the camp first? Try the ledger thing near the donation box.
  • You have to do those early collection missions to unlock the ledger too. It took me a while to get that as I thought I was missing something.

What points does he make? I only got to the one about freedom vs structure in Rockstar games, realised it took him five minutes to tap that one in and the thought of another half hour of that "style" finished me off.

Sorry I didn't see this till now and I kinda forget all the points in the video...
    The main one is that one you mentioned though in that they have their awesome open world but then just want to have all the missions be linear like uncharted. It grates against me when I play it. Even just being able to approach an encounter from wherever I choose instead of where they want would help.
    If they can marry open world mission design with their open world map design then they'd be unstoppable! But instead, for me, they have one foot in the future and one in the past.

Also he does go on about how much stuff he likes in the game too. It's just that he had the same main issue that I have and that's the focus of the video.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I don't disagree with it either. I understand why they want to structure the missions and take you down this canyon to have these bad guys pop up from those rocks etc. but they can be a bit full on with it. Like literally stand here and use this weapon. There's still fun to be found within that structure, but it doesn't stop me dreaming of more.

But the video is still shan as fuck, it goes on for a further half hour and you can't remember another point he made? And in the same style? The point he does make is a tap in that could be made against Rockstar in any of their open world games. He mentioned GTA3 because you had a bit of freedom in the odd mission but the rest of them were structured in the same way as they are here. Even the original GTA had glimpses of an alternative, remember the mission from the demo when you had to buy drugs from a dealer? The mission ends but the dealer is still on screen and you can kill him to get your money back. Wow I thought, the possibilities! But you never get that kind of freedom/choice again.

As I said earlier in the thread (and way before RDR2 was even released) I'd love them to drop the structured stuff and the story entirely and go fully systemic, with your decisions and choices dictating the action and creating your own story as you go, but it'll probably never happen, and it certainly won't be Rockstar to make the leap. These games are too successful and frankly easier to develop. He says without the first clue of what developing a game entails.
  • Back to this for an hour this evening. I'm on chapter 3 now, just did a spot of fishing, rowing and singing. Enjoyed.
  • I don't remember because I have a bad memory, not because it didn't make good points. Can't even remember what I had for lunch yesterday!

I don't think it would be too hard for them to make the missions a bit more open. They seem to be easing that way somewhat by having missions where you choose which direction you go in. It's just a bit silly to make you actually make that choice instead of just letting you move and then registering which way you go.

I think the reason he focuses on this game more than the other GTA games or anything is more because this is such a step up I'm terms of open world design but they are still doing the old mission design. You could make the same arguments about all their previous games too.

But anyway, I think these points have been well tread by now. I still want to finish the game. It'll just take me a bit longer than normal
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Back to this for an hour this evening. I'm on chapter 3 now, just did a spot of fishing, rowing and singing. Enjoyed.

Quality mission, Hosea is great. There are some country songs in there too, the credits roll was a toe tapper.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message

I don't think it would be too hard for them to make the missions a bit more open. They seem to be easing that way somewhat by having missions where you choose which direction you go in. It's just a bit silly to make you actually make that choice instead of just letting you move and then registering which way you go.

Those are few and far between. Again I thought it was a good way to go and gave me hope of more depth/choice as you go on, with planning becoming a big part of the set piece missions. It wasn't to be. I want to be more specific but I don't think you're there yet, so get a shake on.
  • I'm back in the saddle I think, will be cowboying again tonight.
  • I assume this will be your mane game now

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Only if he can pick up plenty of pomade.
  • He’s on to a whiny if that’s the case

• This guy doing Trelawney's voice is channeling his best Bane impersonation. Just without the muffling mask
  • The voice acting has been one of the biggest barriers for me in this. I don't know who is talking, they all sound the same and none of them are interesting.
    Not helped by 90% of talking being done by characters riding a horse facing away from the camera.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!