Days Gone.
  • Oh like, 'is that a torchlight you've got in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me' type of thing?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Yes.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Lots of video game characters have the hanging torch on a gillet that keeps their hands free
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yes, but not to labour the point Bob, but the Devs can't even be arsed to paint a light source on the character....

https://www.reddit.com/r/DaysGone/comments/bg3mz8/no_visible_flashlightlight_source/
  • Bend made the Vita Uncharted, so they’d be familiar with Drake’s torch that hangs from his chest, but I don’t recall Golden Abyss having an issue where, “if you rotate the camera while deacon is station[ary] with the light on, the light still rotates...”
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Yes, but not to labour the point Bob, but the Devs can't even be arsed to paint a light source on the character....

https://www.reddit.com/r/DaysGone/comments/bg3mz8/no_visible_flashlightlight_source/

Yeah man, I hadn’t checked. It didn’t bother me but that’s lazy. Weird too
    Cos everything else is modelled and correct with plenty of detail like he wears l e Jean rolled up
    To get to
    His boot knife

The Forum Herald™
  • Yeah the light source not showing could be an issue for some as it would surely have been easy to have one hanging on him at all times, but being able to rotate the camera and move the light to me is more beneficial than having it super realistic and having to point him at the direct angle I want to look in. It can be a farce when trying to do that in some games. I’m happy to have increased realism in most ways, but at the same time I’m very happy to have such small discrepancies to improve it as a game as that’s exactly what it is, a game.

Having just completed a few adventures within a cave filled with newts and screamers being able to move the light in such a way made it enjoyable and potentially more petrifying as slowly moving the camera looking for items or the eyes of the undead instead of swinging the character around with less control was a lot more satisfying and tense.

It’s like anything, including last nights GoT, if you decide you’re not a fan of something it’s easy to dispense with any suspension of disbelief and pick apart things you’d usually look straight past at the offer picture. I’m prepared to look past some things if it improves my enjoyment. And man I’m enjoying this game, even the bits like fuel management I thought I’d hate I’ve got a good grip on. Slowly trying to look around a fuel station before going up to the pump just in case marauders are awaiting those in need of fuel. Or having to push your bike to the nearest fuel icon before being set upon by a horde and having to abandon it and running off to hide as they swarm past before returning to it and starting again. It’s aces.
  • So the light is in fact coming out of Deacon' St John's ass? I knew it!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Deacon the Beacon, amirite?
  • Deak to his mates
    The Forum Herald™
  • Verecocha wrote:
    It can be a farce when trying to do that in some games.

Fair enough, although I’ve seen games that fairly easily have the player rotate to face the same direction as the camera when standing still.
  • But possibly immersion breaking ?
    The Forum Herald™
  • I’m not sure why it would be.
  • HIS GOD DAMN ASS!
  • Well if the torch is on his body wouldn’t that require his feet to sort of swivel ?
    The Forum Herald™
  • They can do turning on the spot animations without his feet sliding about. It’s been done before. Or, if they didn’t want to do that, they could animate his hand coming up to his chest to coordinate the torch with where he’s looking. It just seems lazy implementation to do neither. I find it hard to believe that nobody at bend brought this up as a problem, yet they’ve carried on regardless.

One of the things that bothered me about this game from the first videos I saw was the discord between the detail of the graphics and what was actually happening in the game, and this just looks to be another example of it. Perhaps an alternative art style would solve it, something more abstract, but it does seem to highlight the fundamental problem with the continued pursuit of more pixels over general performance.

None of which is intended to detract from the enjoyment people are getting from it. It just doesn’t seem to live up to the headliner treatment Sony have been giving it.
  • It’s horses for courses I guess. It seems to have found an audience and who wants to pick apart things like that? Especially if your not actually playing it.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    ...and who wants to pick apart things like that?

People who are interested in videogames, their current state, and the future.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Tbf if torchlight is the big discussion point then I’d say the game has exceeded many expectations.
  • I’ve seen more about other lighting bugs and various elements failing to load than I have about the torchlight. Just because we happen to be talking about it right now, it doesn’t mean it’s the only thing worth discussing.

Whatever, I’m going to try to avoid posting in this thread as I really don’t want it to detract from people enjoying the game.
  • I like you can skip a section if you can’t do it ... one stealth section last night was beyond my admittedly slightly drunken ability .. next thing cut scene and on with the game. More of this developers please
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    I like you can skip a section if you can’t do it ... one stealth section last night was beyond my admittedly slightly drunken ability .. next thing cut scene and on with the game. More of this developers please

Still addicted. Bike is nearly top spec now and it’s a beast. But man however many guns and skills you get you see a horde you runnnnnnn.
  • One thing a bit immersion breaking taking down some goons in a camp when we disturb a horde who come running round the corner.

That’ll distract the baddy as he’s over come by zombies

No he’ll still chase just me firing away at my health ignoring all the zombies ....

Hmm
    The Forum Herald™
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It’s probably the unknown light source catching his attention.
  • Couple of questions for people further ahead how do I get more guns in my locker?

Is it possible to throw grenades without having to selecr them in the menu?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    Couple of questions for people further ahead how do I get more guns in my locker?

Is it possible to throw grenades without having to selecr them in the menu?

The guns you’ll unlock by completing chapters and then a specific gun like Boozers Shotty will be available. Otherwise as soon as you buy one from a merchant it’ll be stored in your pocket so you can switch between weapons at any locker depending on what load out you want.

Unfortunately don’t think there’s a quick use option for throwable items which would of been a good idea dude.
  • So I can't store guns I find?

The Torch thing is now bothering me when it's pointed out. With Deak facing you the light does actually shine out of his ass.

Anyway the Driving South with Boozer mission had a nice touch
    Spoiler:
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    So I can't store guns I find?

The Torch thing is now bothering me when it's pointed out. With Deak facing you the light does actually shine out of his ass.

Anyway the Driving South with Boozer mission had a nice touch
    Spoiler:

Yeah that’s an ace touch, there’s a few moments like that during particular story missions. Reminiscent of Red Dead.

If I’m honest I’ve not tried going to a locker with a gun I’ve found, but I’ve had a big machine gun for hours now that I cant buy anywhere, just keep picking up/buying ammo for it, has saved me with some tricky horde moments too.
  • There’s one ambush camp I’m struggling with

it’s
    Spoiler:
    The Forum Herald™
  • Pick 'em off with a sniper rifle?

I must say I am finding it difficult to pull off one-shot kills with the crossbow. So I've switched my special weapon to a sniper rifle.

Although I do like those unique crossbow bolts you can craft using
    Spoiler:

I was facing a similar impregnable camp whilst on a bounty hunting mission; make sure you scout the entire perimeter. I found a hidden way in under an over-turned car.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!