That Weird Time
  • Jaco wrote:
    Eric wrote:
    Some great games there Andy. I'd add Motorhead and Loaded to that and I'd be done.
    Motorhead. Heck that's a blast from the past! First game I owned on PS1... Scary clown guy from Loaded was a fave for sketching at the time too.

Same here, I painted this in 5th year at school for my GCSE art display. Looking back its a bit shit but I loved it at the time
    e1O7VOK.jpg
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Eric wrote:
    AJ wrote:
    I have found memories of Motorhead, too. Though I played it on PC, so the cars were hella shiny.
    It still looks pretty good in a minimalist sort of way:

Man, that brings back memories. Ah, the little bounce at the start as the physics engine kicks in...
  • Fucking hell, the version of Motorhead on Steam is a port (maybe even emulated) of the PlayStation version. What kind of bollocks is that?
  • davyK wrote:
    Sega Saturn (it's all about the JP imports) Baku Baku Parodius series Athlete Kings Layer Section (aka Galactic Attack) Radiant Silvergun Marvel Super Heroes v Streetfighter Tempest 2000 Puzzle Fighter II Turbo Digital Pinball:Last Gladiators Bubble Symphony Saturn Bomberman Darius Gaiden DoDonPachi Christmas Nights Puyo Puyo 2 Fantasy Zone Outrun Twinkle Star Sprites Fighters Megamix Shanghai Triple Threat

Plus
    Battle Garegga
    Soukyogurentai
    Waku Waku 7
    Silhouette Mirage
    Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru
    X-Men: Children of the Atom
    Street Fighter Alpha 3
    King of Fighter '95 (most memorable for me but apparently '99 or '00 meant to be best)
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I wish Saturn emulation was reliable/not a ballache to get working.  There are quite a few games I'd replay with save states.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    SIlly question, would it not be possible to simply have all the games you want loaded into a different virtual drive, then tell the emulator which drive to load?? Just a thought, haven;t attempoted it on any platform since ten years ago when it really wasn't going to work anyay
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK wrote:
    Mario Kart 64 (import though)  Excitebike 64 (import though) Waverace 64 (import though)

Why Import, out of interest? Never had issues with PAL Waverace or mario. Don't think I ever played excite bike.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Could it be a 60Hz v 50Hz framerate thing?
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • That's usual reason. Only ever heard about that with ps1 games though, tbh. Tekken 3 being well famous for it, innit. Man that was noticeable.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Well it was pretty noticeable back in the 16 Bit days. In fact one of my Megadrives had dipswitch on the top for switching between 50 and 60 Hz. So given that these consoles were technically still for use with CRT screens then it's probably something that continued. Or was it rendered obsolete by scart??
  • Eric wrote:
    Jaco wrote:
    Eric wrote:
    Some great games there Andy. I'd add Motorhead and Loaded to that and I'd be done.
    Motorhead. Heck that's a blast from the past! First game I owned on PS1... Scary clown guy from Loaded was a fave for sketching at the time too.
    Same here, I painted this in 5th year at school for my GCSE art display. Looking back its a bit shit but I loved it at the time e1O7VOK.jpg

It's quite a bit better than anything I've ever drawn.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Surely if it's a question of Hz then all the games should say (import) after them.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    True, also an irrelevance as far as emu goes. But if there are specific differences to gameplay, levels, enemy placemenst, difficulty then it's justifiable
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Surely if it's a question of Hz then all the games should say (import) after them.

Not necessarily, some games had the option of switching, some games just ran fine on either. PAL Tekken 3 was noticeably slower.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    Mario Kart 64 (import though)  Excitebike 64 (import though) Waverace 64 (import though)
    Why Import, out of interest? Never had issues with PAL Waverace or mario. Don't think I ever played excite bike.

Speed pure and simple. The import versions of these games in particular running at the higher frame rate felt very different and far more enjoyable.

Excitebike 64 is a brilliant game - silky smooth controls.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Sega Saturn (it's all about the JP imports)
    Baku Baku
    Parodius series
    Athlete Kings
    Layer Section (aka Galactic Attack)
    Radiant Silvergun
    Marvel Super Heroes v Streetfighter
    Tempest 2000
    Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
    Digital Pinball:Last Gladiators
    Bubble Symphony
    Saturn Bomberman
    Darius Gaiden
    DoDonPachi
    Christmas Nights
    Puyo Puyo 2
    Fantasy Zone
    Outrun
    Twinkle Star Sprites
    Fighters Megamix
    Shanghai Triple Threat
    Plus Battle Garegga
    Soukyogurentai
    Waku Waku 7
    Silhouette Mirage
    Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru
    X-Men: Children of the Atom
    Street Fighter Alpha 3
    King of Fighter '95 (most memorable for me but apparently '99 or '00 meant to be best)

Have Souky but haven't spent a lot of time with it. Garegga? I wish - 200 plus game that now. SFA3 isn't cheap now either but I suspect I'd balk at the prices most of my Saturn import games cost nowadays.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Fair play.

If I'm putting together some of these sets, and I expect I will, I'll be going for import on everything unless told not to.
  • Cool. Don't recall hearing that at the time, but it makes sense.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Fair play. If I'm putting together some of these sets, and I expect I will, I'll be going for import on everything unless told not to.

Aye. PAL on the whole is a bollocks. Rare on N64 did us proud, and Nintendo often made an effort but it simply isn't worth messing about with PAL if starting out with pre-Dreamcast consoles or looking at ROMs. (Even then some PS2/GC/Oldbox and DC games didn't have a 60Hz mode).

F-Zero X is an excellent PAL port and feels quite speedy - but even that is slower than the NTSC versions. With something like Mario 64 which doesn't rely on speed it isn't really as much of an issue (but it still annoys me we did get shafted even on that game).
  • IIRC, some of the GameCube titles gave the option of either wide-screen or 60Hz, which was always a tough call.
  • I never imported with n64.

Hammered Ps1 as I chipped and yarred the fuck out of it.

MGS release delay, Tekken 3 slowness, and then a bunch of games that never got released local. 

Thrill Kill (not that I would have paid full wack). And I think Parasite Eve were the notables.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    IIRC, some of the GameCube titles gave the option of either wide-screen or 60Hz, which was always a tough call.

Not sure it was really widescreen, just the bars to remove the extra lines at the top and bottom, but I think they were in the 60Hz versions, though memory might be failing me
  • I seem to remember it acting like a standard wide-screen signal, but my memory might be failing, too.
  • Tomb Raider and Resident Evil made quite an impression. Also Castlevania SotN.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    IIRC, some of the GameCube titles gave the option of either wide-screen or 60Hz, which was always a tough call.

The only GC game I recall having widescreen as an option is F-Zero GX. You could have that with 50 or 60Hz though.

Some N64 games that used the expansion pak offered higher res but with letterboxing to keep the framerate up.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Excitebike64 came out very late in the N64's life so hardly anyone played it. The PAL version suffers a bit becuase of the lower framerate so importing is recommended. A shame this didn't get a Gamecube remake.

• Nah, I'm sure there were plenty with wide-screen support. Spider-Man 2 was one, it's why I still have a GC copy alongside the Xbox one. Quite possible I'm imagining the choice between wide-screen and 60Hz, though.
  • DC was the first console to break the pal 50hz curse. Loved how everything was just full screen full speed.
    It was weird how in Europe in the 90's almost every telly supported Scart rgb but consoles never fully utilised the standard. Crappy pal ports were everywhere.
    If you've ever seen sf2 (snes/md) running in 60hz over scart rgb vs video component cable; you know what I mean. Difference is day and night.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yeah I played on my SNES then played on (and inherited) my brother's SFC. I was like WOW! The speed and the colours, my oh my!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    It didn't have more colours, and it had bigger uglier scanlines

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!