That Weird Time
  • cockbeard wrote:
    It didn't have more colours, and it had bigger uglier scanlines

Scanlines are specific to the TV, aren't they?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yep. They are generated by how a CRT works as far as I know.

When I got a modded MD with RGB SCART, region switch and 50/50 switch it felt like all new console. Comparing something like Sonic 1 is painful.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    GC had more games with widescreen support than I thought..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GameCube_games_with_alternate_display_modes
  • All these 'displaymodes' were practically non existant on consoles until dreamcast arrived.
    In that respect the dc really was a game changer and PS2, gamecube and xbox had to follow suit. Full screen 60Hz support became the norm in both PAL and NTSC territories.

I still remember PAL Halo1 on xbox rendering in 50Hz though. A fine game but not as smooth a conversion as could be. Of course, all this is irrelevant today due to everything being hdmi out but back in the day this was a big thing.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • cockbeard wrote:
    It didn't have more colours, and it had bigger uglier scanlines

RGB colour was more vivid compared to washed out composite/RF connection.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hunk wrote:
    All these 'displaymodes' were practically non existant on consoles until dreamcast arrived.
    In that respect the dc really was a game changer and PS2, gamecube and xbox had to follow suit. Full screen 60Hz support became the norm in both PAL and NTSC territories.

I still remember PAL Halo1 on xbox rendering in 50Hz though. A fine game but not as smooth a conversion as could be. Of course, all this is irrelevant today due to everything being hdmi out but back in the day this was a big thing.

Except GCN was the only one that took the batton. PS2 was especially bad, there was many a 50Hz release on it.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • PAL ROMs should only exist if the game was exclusive to EU, in which case it would be full speed anyway.

The point of this thread seems lost on some.

We're not listing our fav games per se but attempting to create a definite list of games to create an elite rom set.

For that reason NTSC over PAL or what pad was preferable is irrelevant. Of course we're gonna get the full speed ROM and you can use pretty much any pad you want.

Also arguing over SFII on SNES or MD (in the sister thread) is hilarious. They were good for their time but SFII Collection on PS or Saturn are the definitive versions.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Oh and can we rename this thread to 'That really awesome time'.

Few gens were as exciting as gen 5.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • hunk wrote:
    It was weird how in Europe in the 90's almost every telly supported Scart rgb but consoles never fully utilised the standard. Crappy pal ports were everywhere.

Not quite true. I recall Saturn units being recalled as they only shipped with RGB scarts, they were repackaged with RF units.

Most of us still gamed in bedrooms back then on either portables or hand me down TVs with a wooden finish.

50Hz was kind of a necessary evil, if not we'd have been gaming in b&w with rolling pictures and no sound.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Or built our own oscilloscopes and used vector gwaffix only
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Also arguing over SFII on SNES or MD (in the sister thread) is hilarious. They were good for their time but SFII Collection on PS or Saturn are the definitive versions.
    This started by talking the NES mini, and what games would be included if something similar was done for other consoles. So it's more about creating a list of the classic games on each machine.

Looking at it like that, I'd definitely want SF2 (Turbo) on a SNES collection, not on a PS or Saturn one.
  • That's not the impression I got. That's just a top 10 list which @Eric has already done.

I thought the whole point of this evolved into creating a list of definitive versions of games?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Initially I did wonder about 3D printing each console, but at the end of the day it would be remiss not to include the other consoles as well, so why wouldn't you play the definitive version. Also the best n games for each console has been done a million times. I'm actually kind of intrigued to see the outliers now like which console ends up with the shortest list because everything it did was actually done better elsewhere. Bear in mind it's not a predicto thread nor a petition to ninty to include certain games, I think I'd struggle to offer an emu box that only does one console, although if so then I'd happily put bits together
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • hunk wrote:
    All these 'displaymodes' were practically non existant on consoles until dreamcast arrived. In that respect the dc really was a game changer and PS2, gamecube and xbox had to follow suit.

Surely it's more that TVs with those features had started becoming common at that point, rather than everyone going "look what Sega are doing, we better do that too."
  • Definitive versions? In that case reworked SSF2THD on XBLA is besht
  • I have a retro pi so I'm very much up for us sharing our knowledge to narrow down the best of the best.

In the 8-Bit thread R-Type was mentioned for MS but there was an arcade perfect port of 1 and 2 on PSone called R-Types.

I'd rather have one version of Mortal Kombat II than the 7 I have. Ok that's an easy one to figure out, but I thought that was the whole point of these threads.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Definitive versions? In that case reworked SSF2THD on XBLA is besht

Na that's a remake ;-)
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • AJ wrote:
    hunk wrote:
    All these 'displaymodes' were practically non existant on consoles until dreamcast arrived. In that respect the dc really was a game changer and PS2, gamecube and xbox had to follow suit.

Surely it's more that TVs with those features had started becoming common at that point, rather than everyone going "look what Sega are doing, we better do that too."

AJ knows.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Na that's a remake.

In that case doesn't matter between SNES version of a game or PS1 or 2.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    To the remake vs remaster thread

But this is why this is gonna be such a bugger
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Na that's a remake.

It does. The SNES version was a port of the arcade game, whereas the 32Bit game was arcade perfect.

Thats not to say we can't have both the HD Remake and the Arcade perfect versions. The point is we haven't go the shitty 16Bit ones.

In the 16Bit thread we settled on both NHL 93 and 94, as both have a strong case for being the best one.

Lets discuss and educate.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Depends on your mood, you can smash glass or smash heads
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Na that's a remake.
    It does. The SNES version was a port of the arcade game, whereas the 32Bit game was arcade perfect.

True. Fair point and I agree. 
    Thats not to say we can't have both the HD Remake and the Arcade perfect versions. The point is we haven't go the shitty 16Bit ones.

Had remake, yay!
    In the 16Bit thread we settled on both NHL 93 and 94, as both have a strong case for being the best one. Lets discuss and educate.

Nah, Let's not discuss, you win.
  • PAL ROMs should only exist if the game was exclusive to EU, in which case it would be full speed anyway. The point of this thread seems lost on some. We're not listing our fav games per se but attempting to create a definite list of games to create an elite rom set. For that reason NTSC over PAL or what pad was preferable is irrelevant. Of course we're gonna get the full speed ROM and you can use pretty much any pad you want. Also arguing over SFII on SNES or MD (in the sister thread) is hilarious. They were good for their time but SFII Collection on PS or Saturn are the definitive versions.
    I thought we were talking about that weird time? I also like the 16 bit versions of SF2 for some reason but I'm just weird.
    AJ wrote:

PS2 was slow to pick up on what the dc was doing as was already mentioned by someone in this thread.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    PS2 was especially bad, there was many a 50Hz release on it.

Which was inexcusable. When you select the 60Hz option on a PS2 game that does offer it is actually the NTSC version that runs. They didn't even have to do a PAL60 version (which is just an NTSC version with a different colour pallette anyhow)
  • Why are the colour pallettes different? Never heard of that before?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The point of this thread seems lost on some.
    There may be a very good reason for that.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Why are the colour pallettes different? Never heard of that before?

I think it just came down to the fact that there were more pins, so more channels for the signal to go down, so less cross-contamination. This meant the colours were sharper and brighter.

Having said all that, I don't know why the Saturn is credited with this. I bought an RGB SCART for my regular MD back in the day and got the benefit. The standard was supported, you just had to buy a separate cable.
  • hunk wrote:
    It was weird how in Europe in the 90's almost every telly supported Scart rgb but consoles never fully utilised the standard. Crappy pal ports were everywhere.

Not quite true. I recall Saturn units being recalled as they only shipped with RGB scarts, they were repackaged with RF units.

Most of us still gamed in bedrooms back then on either portables or hand me down TVs with a wooden finish.

50Hz was kind of a necessary evil, if not we'd have been gaming in b&w with rolling pictures and no sound.

Oh gawd, so this is why the Saturn failed.

• hylian_elf wrote:
    Na that's a remake.

In the 16Bit thread we settled on both NHL 93 and 94, as both have a strong case for being the best one.

Lets discuss and educate.

So then you disqualify any game that is an arcade port, and we start an arcade thread too.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!