Gaming Goes Mainstream
  • What is going on?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • On a train, going into work. How about you?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    We're making lists of the best games by system with a view to putting together curated B&B ROM sets.

There are many threads for this.
  • I really liked Headhunter on the DC. It felt like a final goodbye as I played it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yeah, I had a similar feeling. Although I do kind of suspect that it won't have aged well.
  • Cheers Yoss, I've found the source thread.

10 from each

Dreamcast:
    Crazy Taxi
    Soul Calibur
    Marvel vs Capcom 2
    Dynamite Cop 2
    Toy Commander
    Shenmue
    MSR
    Dont Panic: Seaman
    Chu Chu Rocket
    Rez

PS2
    Virtua Fighter 4 Evo
    MGS3 Subsistence
    Gradius V
    R Type Final
    Vice City
    Ace Combat 5
    We <3 Katamari
    Mark of Kri
    A Train 6
    Pacific Theatre of Operations IV

XBox
    Outrun 2
    Halo CE
    PGR2
    Beyond Good and Evil
    Oddworld Strangers Wrath
    Pandora Tomorrow
    Full Spectrum Warrior
    Panzer Dragoon Orta
    Rallisport Challenge 2
    Rainbow Six 3

Gamecube
    Super Monkey Ball
    Fire Emblem PoR
    Metroid Prime
    Resident Evil 4
    Chibi Robo
    Odama
    Pikmin
    Paper Mario TTYD
    Mario Smash Football
    Pac Man Vs
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I believe the generation cocko described can be emulated on a decent gaming rig nowadays.
    Recent core i5/i7 coupled to a nVidia gtx1050/60 or AMD RX480 and 8-16 gb RAM should do the trick.
    xbox is the only one which hasn't been succesfully cracked for emulation but then again the current xbone might be able to play your older discs.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • hunk wrote:
    I believe the generation cocko described can be emulated on a decent gaming rig nowadays. Recent core i5/i7 coupled to a nVidia gtx1050/60 or AMD RX480 and 8-16 gb RAM should do the trick. xbox is the only one which hasn't been succesfully cracked for emulation but then again the current xbone might be able to play your older discs.

Wut! I didn't know this was a thing. Or is it a trick?

Edit: forget it, it just loads the flash screen oh well!

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Meh, thought ms would have xbox emulation down by now. They probably want you to rebuy al your old faves again in the live store.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There are hardly any old faves which have been rereleased.
  • DC
    Garou: Mark of the Wolves
    Giga Wing
    Gunbird 2
  • Garou is a great shout Elf. Top game
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I'm sure SF3 Third Strike would've already been mentioned and is too obvious.
  • I'd like to think Marvel vs Capcom 2 and Capcom vs SNK, with the aforementioned pair, would make a wonderful 2D collection. Throw in SF Alpha 3 for good measure.

Goddamn Dreamcast was amazing.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Justify a Dreamcast in 2016?

Bangai-O. This has been released on other platforms of course. The N64 original is a different game though. It was changed for DC. There are DS and XBL versions but I've heard mixed reports as to their quality. So at the very least this version is worth playing.

Cannon Spike. Lovely arena shooter with Capcom fan service up to the rafters.

Chu Chu Rocket. The online mode has gone (actaully it hasn't) but it's a blast locally and arguably better that way. 4 players.

Cosmic Smash. Virtua Tennis control with Arkanoid style gameplay and Rez visuals. Gorgeous, chilled laid-back atmosphere.

Daytona USA 2001. Quality update with some exclusive tracks. Really needs the wheel controller but a beautiful game that stands shoulder to shoulder with the superb XBL version.

F355 Challenge. Beautiful looking game still. Not sure if it got ported elsewhere though. Supports linkup mode which admittedly would be hard to get setup.

Gigawing. Excellent 2D "verizontal" shooter with unique rechargable shield based gameplay. The original wasn't bettered by its sequels. Only on DC.

Gunbird 2 Another top notch STG. The DC version is far better than the abysmal PS2 port and it also has exclusive features such as a 1 player 2 character mode and a hidden character. Supports TATE mode.

Mars Matrix. Yet another top grade shooting game.[/font][/size][/color]

Metropolis Street Racer. The XBOX got a sequel but this is the original and a lot prefer it.

Outtrigger. Lovely arcade take on the FPS. Plays great with the keyboard and mouse.

Pen Pen Triicelon. Early release so not technically great. It's a cute running, jumping, sliding and swimming race game. It's light on content but heavy on charm and the fun factor.

Powerstone 1 & 2 - highly rated arena fighting games. #2 has 4 player support.

Pro Pinball Trilogy. Gorgeous compilation of the Pro Pinball series (stunning with the VGA box). Three tables on 1 disc. Oldbox got this but loadtimes are worse , misses a few features, and won't look as good as the DC VGA version.

Ready 2 Rumble Boxing 1 & 2 - highly entertaining arcade boxing that was a crowd pleaser in demo pods. Best version is the DC.

Sega Tetris. Arcade port of a unique take on this game. Has an online mode (which might come back some day) With the linkup cable this even boasts a 2 vs 2 team battle mode.

Sports Jam. Good port of the sports mini-game comp arcade game.

Sturmwind. Late (2013) homebrew effort. A hori-shooter with stunning visuals that would look at home as an XBL 360 release.

Super Magnetic Neo. Cute fake 3D platformer, the charm of which is matched by the hair-pulling level of difficulty.

Tech Romancer. Big daft robot fighting game

Typing of the Dead. Unless you want to try and play this old game on a PC (with 2 keyboards working) this is the only way to play. Has some extra modes too. The 2 player versus mode is very well thought out. Hilarious.

Under Defeat. Many still consider this more accurate than even the mighty HD 360/PS3 remake.

Virtua Tennis 1 & 2. The sequels have sullied the purity of the genius of this game. Never bettered.

Wetrix+ The N64 original is still a lovely game, but the DC version ups the visuals (though the music isn't quite as good). There's an update on the PS2 called Aqua Aqua but its purity has gone with too many unneccessary additions.

I'm not a fighting afficionado but of course there's the Streetfighter games (3 alpha, 3rd strike and double impact) , SNK v Capcom games, and the Marvel v Capcom (1 & 2) games that all got a lovely treatment on Dreamcast.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Cosmic Smash! Yes, that was brilliant (if expensive).
  • DreamCast:
    MSR
    SoulCalibur
    CvS 1+2
    Shenmue 1+2
    JetSetRadio
    Rez
    Skies of Arcadia
    SF3 2ndimpact/3rd Strike
    Virtua Tennis 1+2

Xbox
    Halo 1+2
    Ninja Gaiden Black
    PGR 1+2
  • Xbox needs PanzerDragoon Orta too...
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Gawd, I forgot Orta.
    Rez with laser spewing Dragons....
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    How can you have JSR on your DC list but no JSRF on your Xbox one?
  • Because...it's not on the xbox one.
  • Xbox for me is basically Ninja Gaiden, Halo, Stranger's Wrath and PD Orta.

Plus a few multi-platform games I played on it - PES, Prince of Persia.
  • KotOR
  • Jon's listed the big hitters for me.  Was my go-to console for multiplat titles too - Splinter Cell III, Outrun 2, Burnout 3 etc. I'd add Amped to the exclusives.  Custom soundtracks, when they were still a novelty, turned a very good game into something special.  I wish I hadn't ignored Crimson Skies.
  • What's the mech game with a similar title to Phantom Dust?  I probably should have played that too, but I was ruled by Edge at the time.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Phantom Crash, it was nifty.
  • Outrun2 was strangely addicting yeah.
    Luved the music.
  • Nothing strange about that. It's one of the best racing games ever and the last one I really enjoyed outside of MKs.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I had it on Oldbox but got rid once I hot Coast 2 Coast on PSP. I don't even know if they're the same as I haven't touched my PSP copy!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!