Super Mario Run: Poke your man, Go!
  • It is a shit market, there is serious money to be made but it is from pay to win garbage quality gaming.
    That score goes to show that they don't want to pay a reasonable price for a quality title.
    The irony of it all being these low voters probably spent much more than 8 quid on pokeballs in Pokemon GO.
    It makes for an awkward situation for Nintendo who still value the quality of a game.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    How big's the gap?

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It is a shit market, there is serious money to be made but it is from pay to win garbage quality gaming.
    That score goes to show that they don't want to pay a reasonable price for a quality title.
    The irony of it all being these low voters probably spent much more than 8 quid on pokeballs in Pokemon GO.
    It makes for an awkward situation for Nintendo who still value the quality of a game.

Or it might mean that they do not consider £8 to be a reasonable price in this instance.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    That depends on the medium. If it was an £8 Mario game on DS for example, I doubt many would be complaining about the price.

I'll admit that it put me off at first but having played it, it's absolutely worth that money. There needs to be a point where people reset their expectations. Sure, you can probably still get 'more' game (whatever that means) for your money on iOS but there's no reason there should be an arbitrary ceiling (in price, quality or content) because of the platform.
  • I would meet you in the middle Yoss and suggest they are conditioned to devalue games.
    Of course there will be a handful of legit people who have bought it, played it and don't consider it to represent a quarter of a nsmb game.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Questions of value are about as subjective as they get. I still haven't bothered with this because £8 seems like too high a price for what it is, but fair play to those who do feel it's value for money.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    And, FTR, I'm quite happy to spend £8 on phone games, Papers Please was around that price, that was fine, but I cannot see that this style of game can possibly be worth that sort of money.
  • Of course individuals have their own perceptions of value but the conversation is about the average score so I think it is OK to talk about markets rather than individuals.
    Especially given the disparity between review and user scores.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Questions of value are about as subjective as they get. I still haven't bothered with this because £8 seems like too high a price for what it is, but fair play to those who do feel it's value for money.

Totally agree. There have been a number of great iOS and other mobile games that have provided a huge amount of content for very little which undoubtedly skews perspective on the issue further.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    The Daddy wrote:
    How big's the gap?

Not 50ft then?

:(
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Or maybe this shows the disparity between games journos' and actual purchasers' perceptions of value. Let's remember, the App Store has gobbled up the casual market. To many people, there may be no game worth £8, but they were convinced to take a punt on this and were disappointed. This doesn't mean that games have been devalued, it means that there is a segment of the market which simply won't pay what we are willing to pay, but is happy to dabble at a lower price.
  • It's not worth eight quid unless you're gonna try and 100% it. You can literally fly through all the levels in half an hour. I'm about done with it.
  • What if you are going for 100% and Toad Rally high scores though, worth it then?
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    The biggest disappointment was trying this on an iPad mini and seeing too many drops in framerate. Hadn't expected that from a Nintendo game. (iPad was a disappointment in more ways, so that got traded in again, waiting for the Android version now)
  • The game isn't get to the end of the levels because it does that bit for you.
  • Is it definitely known that this app store rating is stemming from 'casuals'? I mean, I know we're all assuming it is for the sake some decent bants and aspersions, but do we actually know for sure?

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, of course, but this thread is sure damn one massive echo chamber for the traditional games playing folk.

Mario Run will without doubt draw more of the core/traditional gamers than most of the other content released for phones. You only have to read the last page or so of this thread to see the negative attitudes still expressed towards traditional gaming's upstart little mobile brother. It's the same kind of attitude shown to regular old video-gaming back in the 90s.

It's just depressing to see the same old tutting and head shaking about a sector of the industry that should be embraced and worked with more.

Apologies for bants disruption :)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Is it definitely known that this app store rating is stemming from 'casuals'? I mean, I know we're all assuming it is for the sake some decent bants and aspersions, but do we actually know for sure?

Nothing's definitely known, but it seems highly likely seeing as 1. the App Store is known for appealing to casual gamers and 2. this has been a huge hit on that App Store. It'd be weird if this wasn't being mostly driven by them.
  • It annoys me when people leave low reviews for things that aren't about the quality of the game. 1* because they don't agree with the price but otherwise absolutely love it. What? It's like when people leave one star reviews on amazon because their delivery was late.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Saw an amazing review yesterday where someone compared SMR to SMB saying that back when they played SMB progression from world 1 to world 2 was FREE and rewarded by EFFORT rather than MONEY, conveniently forgetting they had to pay for the game at some point, and if they'd paid £8 for SMR then the progression would indeed by via effort rather than money. Maybe they should have had no free trial for SMR at all.
  • Tend to agree tbh. Just charge outright and they'd have fairly avoided the backlash reviews.
  • Just downloaded the game for the 5th or 6th time and it's finally working again using 4G. Lost all my progress though. Yes, that's all the progress in 1-1 and 1-2.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • This is well worth 8 quid. They have done a great job of capturing that Mario feel, and the collecting of different coins offers great longevity before you even get into Toad Rally. Actually I cannot see how much better they could have done this on a mobile device, and its good enough to warrant being done at all on mobile devices.

I may offer later a more elequent explanation of why this is worth the entrance fee but the booze is kicking in. Bye. Happy New Year.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • I think myself and Yoss are drawing the same conclusion from different angles.

I won't put words in his mouth so will just say for myself.

Regardless of what the game is it isn't what the mobile game market are used to or what they buy into, whether that is price or gameplay.
    This makes a conundrum for Nintendo.

• Who the fuck are you talking about what the mobile market are used to? Seriously, all the negativity I hear is from butt hurt console gamer fucks.

This is so fucking clear to see it's laughable.
  • All the negativity I've heard against this game has been from this forum and from console, fucking entitled 'core' gamers. The Times they are a changing. Deal with it.
  • I'll get little gain on here with these rants, but the fact of the matter is mobile gaming is either bankrolling the industry you love, or making hand over fist more money than trad gaming is. Adapt, bitches.
  • Not by necessarily making good games but exploiting addictiveness and people to fund a "free game" for everyone else.

It's not really bankrolling that much that is particularly interesting which is what we do like.

• nick_md wrote:
    Who the fuck are you talking about what the mobile market are used to? Seriously, all the negativity I hear is from butt hurt console gamer fucks.

This is so fucking clear to see it's laughable.
    The most popular and financially successful games on mobile platforms are pay to win.
    Candy Crush.
    Mobile Strike.
    Clans of whatever.

They are all pay to win and have little to no actual gameplay in them. In terms of artistic merit it is a fucking garbage market. Play to win horse shit all round. Tuck in if you want but don't expect recognition for it.

I'm not butt hurt.
    Just don't expect fans of Band of Brothers fans to praise Emerdale.

• Not by necessarily making good games but exploiting addictiveness and people to fund a "free game" for everyone else. It's not really bankrolling that much that is particularly interesting which is what we do like.

Do you have the same opinion about Hearthstone, or subscription based games? Or even Live/PSN? Probably not.

The most popular and financially successful games on mobile platforms are pay to win. Candy Crush. Mobile Strike. Clans of whatever. They are all pay to win and have little to no actual gameplay in them. In terms of artistic merit it is a fucking garbage market. Play to win horse shit all round. Tuck in if you want but don't expect recognition for it. I'm not butt hurt. Just don't expect fans of Band of Brothers fans to praise Emerdale.

If an Emirati wants to sink a million dollars into an empire game (which has happened) then fine, let him buy the server, a new server opens. To use that as a cosh against the sector, and to say that there is no strategy involved in these games, is just laughable. I'm laughing at you right now. Hahahah. The strategy in empire builders is extremely similar to Neptune's Pride, if you've ever played that you should have a good idea of the offline strategy, chat rooms and careful coordination that takes place. There is huge strategising and backroom deals going on constantly. Have you ever played one, I wonder?

I mean, christ, even the sneery reluctance some show when admitting to liking this -spit- mobile Mario game. Get over yourself. We had the same problem 30 years ago, "oh a computer game, you're spending how much? Oh come come, it's hardly the same as real art is it?"

Fuck your shite BoB/Emmerdale analogy too, if anything traditional games are film, and mobile is TV series. Pretty soon for traditional games it's only going to be even safer bets and major studio outings left. I wonder why every major games company has been scrambling over the last 5 years to get a slice of the mobile market?

For the record, I say this as someone who owns and plays a PS4, enjoys retro titles regularly, and pays ~£25 pcm on mobile.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!