Sport Club Greek Mega Thread
  • @Matt_82 Henry only left a couple of months ago. Give 'em time, ffs. :)
    GT: RasDam Twitter: @RasDam
  • They haven't won anything since Viera was in the team. They've never replaced him.
  • We haven't won anything since Pires was in the team. We haven't won anything since Campbell was in the team. We haven't won anything since David Dein was at the club. We haven't won anything since Ashley Cole was in the team. We haven't won anything since Ljungberg was in the team. We haven't won anything since we moved to the Grove.

We haven't won for a number of reasons. The loss of one individual isn't the reason.
  • Its kinda a big reason though. I mean losing Sol Campbell would ruin any club ;)
  • RasDam wrote:
    The loss of one individual isn't the reason.
    Yeah but you've managed to replace other individuals. Even Henry (his goals anyway).
    Apart from Gilberto for a brief stint, no one's filled Viera's boots.
    edit: But yeah I agree that's not the only reason. Since teams that have won stuff haven't had Viera either. You have missed him though. More than the others you've lost I reckon.
  • I think we've had a team capable of winning the league at least once in the last 7 years, but Wenger is tactically inept and is regularly outfought and/or out-thought by other managers.

Of all the invincibles I think we've missed Pires the most. Followed by Campbell and then Vieira. Vieira's ability was waning but the leadership qualities he possessed are what we've lacked.
  • Am I the only one rooting for a Chelsea win at the Allianz?

I'm finally beginning to see Di Matteo as a serious candidate for us, he's handling the pressure really well, behaves with dignity at all times, and most importantly seems to be able to get the best out of his players, ageing or not.

Liverpool selection backfired, but it was always unlikely we'd score 4th place and as a betting man I'd prefer him not to risk the big players in relatively meaningless games. The big question is whether he is capable of over-seeing the whole-sale changes our squad needs, and early signs are encouraging in terms of man-management. We shouldn't have too much trouble attracting big-name players if we win in Germany, but it'll be much tougher without the Champs League carrot.
  • John Terry should be the next Chelsea manager, he basically is already.

Edit: That's not me joshing by the way. I genuinely believe he'd do rather well as Chelsea manager as long as he has a decent team working under him. He knows how to inspire the team, he's not a complete idiot when it comes to defending and as long as he's able to buy top quality players then he'd do fine.
  • First move, sign Anton Ferdinand...

In all seriousness, I agree Ras. Maybe not now but in the next 5 years I could see him taking the reigns, like you say though with a good team behind him.
  • I want Chelsea to win.

Heaven knows why the stance has swung to be pro-Bayern.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Has Pardew won manager of the year? I heard it on the local news but there's nowt on Sky.
  • Yep.

Kompany player of the season.
  • Difficult to argue against both. There are certainly other players/managers who would be in the bracket, but it's not a horrible decision.
  • google wrote:
    I want Chelsea to win. Heaven knows why the stance has swung to be pro-Bayern.
    Its a bit harsh that they take the Champions League place from 4th spot. Its generally a team on the periphery that has had an outstanding season that gets kicked in to the Uefa Cup.
  • monkey wrote:
    google wrote:
    I want Chelsea to win. Heaven knows why the stance has swung to be pro-Bayern.
    Its a bit harsh that they take the Champions League place from 4th spot. Its generally a team on the periphery that has had an outstanding season that gets kicked in to the Uefa Cup.

Agreed.

But the alternative would be that the winner of the Champions League would be unable to defend their league title in the next season.

So it's a lose/lose situation.
  • Or 5 teams from (say) England get in.
  • Yeah, I had no issue with the Liverpool joined in the qualifying rounds situation to be honest. But they changed the rules so I guess we'll have to live with it, as UEFA won't care about the 4th placed English team not being in it.
  • I bet they would if it was Manchester United.
  • I want Bayern to win, it'd be nice for them to win it at their own stadium, plus I couldn't take the sight of Terry and Lampard lifting the trophy together. I'd also enjoy them not qualifying for next season.
  • Isn't it up to the FA/Premier league to decide which four teams represent England in the Champions League.

That was the issue in '05 with Liverpool and Everton, they wouldn't make a decision.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • They changed the rules afterwards to avoid that happening again, now 4th misses out at the expense of the champions.
  • Okay. I think it's right that the winners defend the trophy.

That's not the case for the World Cup though.
  • Works both ways though, Chelsea don't deserve to be in next year because they spent months trying to get their manager sacked.
  • Haha... that's one way of putting it :-)
  • TheDJR wrote:
    Works both ways though, Chelsea don't deserve to be in next year because they spent months trying to get their manager sacked.

Agreed. That was pretty scummy. 

But they beat a number of decent teams to get where they are, so more power to them in Germany.
  • Actually they did make a decision, they went with Everton, on the basis that at the start of the season 4th would qualify. UEFA and Liverpool didn't like that decision.

The rules now are CL winners always qualify, even if they are relegated.
  • Sorry to interrupt all the football talk, however today is the Semi-Finals of the Aviva Premiership.
    Saracens vs Leicester / Harlequins vs Northampton.
    I'm a massive quins fan and I am so nervous! We had better win as we were top of the table the whole season!
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Liverpool selection backfired, but it was always unlikely we'd score 4th place and as a betting man I'd prefer him not to risk the big players in relatively meaningless games. The big question is whether he is capable of over-seeing the whole-sale changes our squad needs, and early signs are encouraging in terms of man-management. We shouldn't have too much trouble attracting big-name players if we win in Germany, but it'll be much tougher without the Champs League carrot.

Should have gone for the win against Liverpool and then rested a few against Blackburn instead.
  • Gonzo wrote:
    I hope arsenal draw and we win, then I will support Chelsea in Germany. But I doubt it.
    This. I think every (decent) Spurs fan is thinking the same.

So forget that nonsense for now. Today is the day we either get Karren Brady's moany ass tits or Ian Holloway back in the Prem.

Who wants what, I'm all for Blackpool even though they will likely be re-relegated.
  • I like Holloway, he did an excellent job at Plymouth.

So, I'm hoping Blackpool win.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!