• Blackpool can fuck off.

just sayin

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • C'mon Blackpool!
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • *shakes fist*
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • The Championship playoff final is next week.

As for the CL situation, 4th place doesn't really 'deserve' CL football. You finished 4th. The fact that 4th is now an achievement is one of the bad things about the CL. And I say this as someone who supports Liverpool, who desperately need 4 places to have any hope of getting into the competition next year. Having said that, I really, really hope Newcastle nick 4th and Chelsea lose next weekend. Would be good to see the Geordies back in the CL.
    GT: Knight640
  • Right you are Knight, coulda sworn ot was this week but nay.

I think 4th warrants CL. Its been slightly different the last few years but historically even the 4th best prem team has been good enough to compete.
    The alternative is bringing in an extra team from another league who will more than likely be shit.
  • Even if we had managed to do a cup double this season, I'd have still said that Newcastle had had a more successful season than us.  Finishing 4th isn't just about scraping into the CL, it's a statement of intent isn't it?  Saying you can mount a serious challenge for the league in future seasons. Although, perhaps the gulf opened up by the Manc clubs this season in terms of pts might put paid to that idea....  Regardless,  I really hope the Geordies pull it off and nab that place.  They fookin' deserve it.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Normally I'd agree with Knight, as I think that only teams who win the League should qualify (and yes I'm aware we'd have less cups were that the case).

Personally, I think that a team that wins their league has more right to go straight to the group stages than a team that finishes second in the Premier League, regardless of wether that are the 'better' team or not, and regardless of how attractive that makes the competition.

In this case though, it seems like a kick in the nuts that one of Spurs or Newcastle could potentially miss out.
  • Harlequins into the final with an epic final ten minutes! Three mintues to go, try for quins, I went ballistic!!! What a game!

Back to the football...
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Congratulations to your egg ball team.
  • If Chelsea do win will they have to play the play-off game before the group stages as a 4th place team would?

Personally I think a better system would be to reserve a place for the winners and keep the standard qualifying positions. The winners of the Europa League should also automatically qualify for the next Champions League therefore making it a worth while competition to be in.
    This of course means at least one qualifying position has to be taken away from somewhere. This will be controversial, but I nominate the SPL, there is only one team really in it now and Celtic are not a Champions League level club.
  • I believe so.

Agree with reserving a place.
  • If Chelsea do win will they have to play the play-off game before the group stages as a 4th place team would?

Erm...I think we did after we won it last.  But it's possible they've changed the rules again since then.

As for your Europa League idea, I quite like it.  The most aesthetically pleasing of Cups, the shittest competition.  Something needs to be done to re-vamp it.  I'd settle for it just returning to its Cup Winners Cup roots tbh.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • We had to play three qualifying rounds!

That was the agreement reached so England had five representatives in '05-'06, so Liverpool could (rightfully) defend the trophy.
  • Oh yeah, that's when we had to play TNS.  I've got a memory like a sieve.
  • Cup Winners Cup should return. It was a lovely competition.
  • @Blocks100

To be fair, after what we've become... it seems an awfully long time ago, now! :-(
  • I believe so. Agree with reserving a place.

Its the only fair way really. At the start of the season 4th was a champ qualifying position but now the posts have been moved.

It all just seems a bit unfair on Spurs,Arsenal or Newcastle depending on who finishes 4th. Especially when Newcastle and to a slightly lesser extent Spurs have had excellent seasons. I guess even Europa league is forward movement for Newcastle at this stage.

Though I am likely getting all worked up because it's Spurs it's happening to.
  • Spurs had an excellent three months.
  • That amounts to an excellent season for Spurs. 3 months of consistency is unheard of.
  • If Chelsea do win will they have to play the play-off game before the group stages as a 4th place team would? Personally I think a better system would be to reserve a place for the winners and keep the standard qualifying positions. The winners of the Europa League should also automatically qualify for the next Champions League therefore making it a worth while competition to be in. This of course means at least one qualifying position has to be taken away from somewhere. This will be controversial, but I nominate the SPL, there is only one team really in it now and Celtic are not a Champions League level club.

They could take it the qualifying place from the country of the team that won it, rather than screwing someone else out of a place for little reason.
  • Nah, take Scotland's. Interesting to see what Spurs could have done had they not utterly fucked up the Jan transfer window.
  • It sounds like I was being harsh on the SPL, but put Celtic in the premiership and I really doubt that they would finish in a qualifying position.
  • Not immediately, no.
  • I was gonna say fuck over someone like Belarus but aren't BATE from there? They've got further than any Scottish team recently.

Any Utd fans think we have a chance tomorrow? I don't. Dante? Plan M?
  • Fourth place team not getting in the CL would only be unfair if they'd actually been contenders to win the league at some point. The premier league prize money should be enough of a reward for such a non-achievement.
  • 4th is a fantastic achievement in a league that is so tight at the moment.
    Basing everything around who finishes 1st would make for a very boring league. 3rd and 4th place qualification gives teams like Spurs and Newcastle a point to aim for where it is clear that they are not good enough to win the league. Qualification also allows teams to attract bigger players who want to play in the Champions League.

It will be a sad day for football fans when the only reason to finish higher in the table is money.
  • Also if Celtic want in the English Leagues, they can start in the Northern League
  • DJR, we have a chance. It's not a very good one mind.
  • A chance of beating Sunderland? Would have thought so. O'Neill will make it harder than Bruce ever did, but should still win, Sunderland are cack at the moment.
  • It is a tough one. Really Sunderland have little to gain, but O'Neil is the type to demand the best from everyone every time.

QPR have relegation to worry about so they will come out fighting.

I really think this could either way. To be honest Man utd have done very well considering their squad and injury problems (no Cleverly or Vidic nearly all season) I think they would have been buggered had Scholes not come back. Given Citehs squad and position for most of the season they really should have wrapped this up by now, they are chokers and could well choke tommorow.

If Citeh don't win the league I could see Mancini going and Pep replacing him.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!