Sport Club Greek Mega Thread
  • This referee is a jobs worth ain't he. Spraying a white line on Snow.
  • A pink ball would be helpful.
  • Thought they would have switched by now.
    Wouldn't help me mind.
  • Good lad.
    He has a bright future, bags of potential.
  • Great result in the end.
    Spurs were clinical coming out of that frustrating first half. Regardless of if decisions were right or wrong the stoppage time was silly and bizarre.

Foyth I don't really rate, he is young and may well get there but his uncertainty gifted Rochdale attempts across both games.
    Lamela needs to calm down and tidy his game up a bit.

Full respect to Rochdale they were excellent value for 135 minutes. The quick goals after the half followed by the snow getting heavy seemed to knock the life out of them. I hope they turn their league run around, they are dangerous going forward.
  • So the Son feint is one of those rules that need tightening.
    A player can feint but not stop, when is a feint a stop or not? You just cannot define that as black and white.
    Foy also got off the fence and agreed the first goal should have stood.
  • I think it's a stop if you cease moving forward.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Aye literally stopping for a couple seconds is a bit daft
  • I think his was a stop and to be honest, I don't like feinting anyway but I have seen many similar that should go the same way as Son's.

I think they should tighten up that rule to get rid of all forms of it. Poch should have a word as well as I'm sure a direct, confident penalty has a better chance.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    Imagine the scenes.

It happens in other sports with video refs. It’s not much different from when a player and all of his supporters think he’s scored, because nobody (including the ref) saw the linesman raise his flag ten seconds ago.

The dummy-spitting over VAR is silly. If it isn’t working smoothly in a year’s time, I’d consider raising an eyebrow. But football fans and pundits are making themselves look silly, responding with incredulity over things that happen without a fuss elsewhere.

Of course it's not silly, it's negative feedback on something which is being trialled and currently isn't working. It would be silly not to voice the issues VAR has brought into the game, the last thing anyone would want is for them to think that these trials have been a success.
  • I wouldn’t have as much of a problem if people were just pointing out that it is currently sub-optimal (although, even then, it still seems like complaining that the surface you painted a minute ago is still wet, or that you burnt your tongue on piping hot food).

It’s the responses like the ones I’ve seen on the TV, or heard in podcasts, or read in this thread, that are daft. Although, I do appreciate that pointing out that football fans are complaining in a ridiculous fashion is like pointing out that grass is green.
  • This isn't just testing though. This is happening in competitive games. And there needs to be a bare minimum competence level in place to let something happen in competitive games. At the moment it's turning some of the FA cup games into a farce.
    GT: Knight640
  • It's the comms that's the issue. That should be a piece of piss to sort out.

In American Football the refs - gasp - speak to the crowd. In Rugby the screen clearly explains what's been decided.

Here you see a goal, a man put his finger in his ear, then three minutes later, no goal and a free kick. It's a shambles.
  • But I’d argue that’s to do with problems that permeate football.

In rugby, there are strict, enforced rules about engagement with the referee. A lot of the respect that is spoken about is respect for the fact that the refs don’t tolerate lip.

In football, were refs to be stricter about these things, they’d get grief from fans and players alike. In the brief spell we saw strict enforcement of players haranguing referees, we constantly heard the most football-fan-like of all comments, “The referee made it about himself.” You never hear that bullshit when rugby or American Football referees enforce the rules that they are there to enforce. Somehow, in football fans’ eyes, it’s never the fault of the arsehole players.

Likewise, American Football has great, enforced rules about sportsmanlike conduct. Break the rules, get punished, and face criticism from the pundits. Here, we cut to dribbling moron pundits claiming that if you score a goal you can’t possibly be expected to control or be responsible for your own actions.

Football is full of pricks where everyone throws their hand up every time the ball goes out of play, even the player who knows he kicked it. The players lie about their actions, knowing they’re on camera. They try to con their way to gaining an advantage rather than playing better.

It’s a nightmare environment in which to introduce the idea that the referee will explain to a stadium of toddlers why none of them know the rules.

Honestly, football fans deserve the shitty version of the game they’re subjected to.
  • While I generally agree I actually found that not to be true tonight.

Son probably gave the ref the most grief. Fucking Son! The nicest person in football.

The ref couldn't even communicate to him why he made a decision and a big part of that is that he didn't make it.
    For the amount of standing around like a lemon that is done the ref could easily jog to the sideline and look at an iPad, he is the first official he should understand what is happening.

VAR is such a joy sucker at the moment. I couldn't enjoy the first goal in the second half because I was watching some ref with his finger in his ear, hoping the goal stood despite it being blatantly obvious.

They will end up with this sport being F1 if they carry on, joyless shite.
  • Which is all a reasonable response, until the last sentence, when you lower yourself to the same nonsense we’re hearing elsewhere.
  • The last sentence is the key. Because the absolute heart of this for me is who the sport should be serving, who the main stakeholders are. In F1 it's the car industry as much as the spectators. 

In football is it for the fans, in which case the current implementation of VAR is a disaster, or the players, the clubs, the broadcasters, the viewing audience at home, the referees or the administrators.
  • sorry Andy, your argument appears to be that VAR should be a shambles cos players are cunts anyway.
    I'd be very happy for footy to take inspiration from the rugby and american football way of reffing that you rightly praise, but it's no reason that we can't discuss ways that VAR should be better.

For me, Sparky is right on this. it should be only used on a 'challenge' basis from managers, where they have 1 or 2 challenges that can only be used in certain situations (goals/penalty/red card), and the decision is only overturned if a clear mistake (ie. not when someone's knee is half an inch offside, like Mata(?) was). With hefty fines and penalties for frivolous challenges just to waste time, and the manager loses their challenge if the decision isn't overturned.
    That way the refs can just get on with the game as normal.

For more fun, the managers have to put on a special 'joker hat' when they want to issue a challenge, so the crowd know what's going on.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I'd still like refs to be able to say "I'm not sure, I'm going to take another look" too. What I really dislike is having someone simultaneously reffing and butting in as they see fit. I think the 4th/5th ref, the video ref, should be clearly assisting the ref on the pitch, not back-seat reffing. Combined with a challenge system that will work okay. 

Automatically reviewing pens, goals, red cards, is stupid. If it's a clear goal, just get on with the fucking game.
  • Arsenal v Man City is still going ahead tonight. You'd expect after the weekend embarrassment in the cup, for arsenal to come out all guns blazing, a few reckless tackles and some cards dished out.

This is arsenal though, so meek surrender it will be.
  • They will lose 7-1 m8
  • Here they go.

Lovely from Sane.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Jeez, this game could get nasty. 

Nice to hear the Emirates with an atmosphere for once though, even if it's not quite the one Wenger would want.
  • Arsenal has gotta be one of the biggest rebuild job in top flight world football. It could take years and alot of money to make arsenal challengers again. The EPL is the strongest league in the world. To finish above the current top 5 over next few years will be tough.

Listened to a podcast with a few journalists and they are hearing that arsenal want a younger manager as next appointment rather than an experienced older pair of hands like Ancelotti.
  • I don't think it's a massive rebuild, we a need a manager to kick the players fucking asses.

Can't even score a fucking pen
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • It's all relative isn't it? I'd kill for NUFC to be where Arsenal are.
  • Gaz, you need a new goalie, defenders and a midfield. While trying to qualify for the champions league against 5 teams who are much stronger than your team right now.

I think it's a big rebuild job, but as your the arsenal fan, I'll defer to your judgement. Who would you like as the new manager?
  • Allegri or Simeone but neither would join.

Yeah new Goalie, at least 1 cb and a defensive midfielder.

I'm one of the people who didn't go today as well. I'm gutted it got moved to a Thursday, midweek games are shockers for me. Midnight train gets in at 5 ish and then I walk into work - fuck that
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!