Sport Club Greek Mega Thread
  • Job done from Rangers. Come on!

Also, some deep fried humble pie being served to you lot calling the league up here a pub one by Aberdeen pushing the 7th best team in the world™ this close. Fair play to the sheep.
  • What I'm hearing is Aberdeen got battered by Burnley.

Also, some deep fried humble pie being served to you lot calling the league up here a pub one by Aberdeen pushing the 7th best team in the world™ this close. Fair play to the sheep.

You can only play what's in front of you.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Job done from Rangers. Come on!

Lol, bit try hard there Gav. What did you make of the literal pub team Lincoln Red Imps turning over the mighty, double treble winning Celtic? Where does that put Scottish football in the grand scheme of things?

Probably best not to go overboard about the odd one off game eh?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Especially a game where the Scotch team lost dear me Gav, wobble thy heed.
  • Aberdeen did well considering that one of their best forwards chose to move to Salford of the English National League rather than play for them.

Lol, bit try hard there Gav. What did you make of the literal pub team Lincoln Red Imps turning over the mighty, double treble winning Celtic? Where does that put Scottish football in the grand scheme of things?

Probably best not to go overboard about the odd one off game eh?

The one off game that celtic lost 1-0 only to beat them 3-0 in the 2nd leg? Probably best not to go overboard over one game, Paul. Wobble thy heed.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That's exactly my point. Have you missed it?
  • Not fussed either way. Just saw the games as food for thought, considering how the talksport crowd love to say we're in decline, when that's absolutely not the case.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I listen to TalkSport, nowt wrong with hearing a few opinions, wether you agree with them or not. I think the vast majority of people couldn't muster an opinion either way on Scottish football, it's only when a something like a two leg loss to an English team, a bang average team in Burnley at that, is celebrated as some kind of victory then the opportunity for mirth arises. If a Scottish team not getting a tonking from Burnley is seen as some kind of progress then it only serves to show how far the standard has dropped.
  • Pffft, I wouldn't say the Scottish game was in decline. It would be hard for it to sink much further than the state it's been in for the last five or so years tbh.
    It's been in a holding pattern of piss tier nonsense since the other teams stupidly voted Rangers to the bottom of the divisions. This was a spiteful but ultimately idiotic move on their part, because all it did was give Celtic carte blanche to dominate the league unopposed for fucking years. This also meant that clubs (including Celtic) could all tighten their belts when it came to signings during the global financial crisis without having to worry about the consequences.
    Net result was a shit league with only ever one potential winner, but a tighter fight between the other teams below them because they were all now pretty much equally shit.
    We desperately need Rangers back in their place fighting for league victories, but I did the match last night and they still looked very unconvincing. There's definite improvement in their defence, but their midfield play was weak, and up front they were frankly hopeless. Still a lot of work to be done then.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I think the problem there might be talksport. There is (shockingly) a Scottish football covering media. It's maybe worth expanding to looking at them . For the record, I think that we (Celtic) have ruined Scottish football, but then I look at teams that got to the world cup semi finals with fewer people on their country than us, and then I hit Weir things about diet and self worth and the Scottish nature of not wanting to be "the big man" and this whole thing is an actual mess. If you really want to get into it, our culture is not endemic to a strong team the way it was in the 60s. That we can do what we do I think shows we are punching over our weight.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Pffft, I wouldn't say the Scottish game was in decline. It would be hard for it to sink much further than the state it's been in for the last five or so years tbh.
    It's been in a holding pattern of piss tier nonsense since the other teams stupidly voted Rangers to the bottom of the divisions. This was a spiteful but ultimately idiotic move on their part, because all it did was give Celtic carte blanche to dominate the league unopposed for fucking years. This also meant that clubs (including Celtic) could all tighten their belts when it came to signings during the global financial crisis without having to worry about the consequences.
    Net result was a shit league with only ever one potential winner, but a tighter fight between the other teams below them because they were all now pretty much equally shit.
    We desperately need Rangers back in their place fighting for league victories, but I did the match last night and they still looked very unconvincing. There's definite improvement in their defence, but their midfield play was weak, and up front they were frankly hopeless. Still a lot of work to be done then.

I still believe g is a secret sash wearer ;)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    (ftr I know you're not at all but I needed that) sorry.
  • I may be old, but I'm definitely not beautiful...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Miss 12thmerica
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Lol what a load of crap. Rangers were liquidated, any club would have gone through the same process. Just because it was one of the big two and would impact our league commercially didn’t mean the rules should be broken. A precedent would have been made to allow clubs to overspend, liquidate and restart without consequence.
    Things can only get better.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    I think the problem there might be talksport. There is (shockingly) a Scottish football covering media. It's maybe worth expanding to looking at them.

They have two Scottish presenters during my working hours (it's sometimes on in the van while im driving about) so Scotland is pretty well represented. Jim White was calling for Brendan Rogers to be the FIFA manager of the year last week for example. Depends on what you mean by the problem being TalkSport.
  • Oooooh, spicy.

Controversial opinion, but for me the gap between Rangers and Celtic is not as big as everyone thinks it is.

*runs*

*but also keeps an eye out*
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Burnley made £100 millions plus from finishing 7th last year, Aberdeen £2 million. I think we did pretty well putting a team together that competed well over the two legs.
  • Oooooh, spicy. Controversial opinion, but for me the gap between Rangers and Celtic is not as big as everyone thinks it is. *runs* *but also keeps an eye out*
    No, I'd agree with that. The absence of a competitive Rangers has meant that Celtic have been able to cut back massively on signings and still dominate the league, whilst still achieving just enough on the fringes of European competition to secure a nice payday and be able to proclaim European success to their fans despite getting absolutely battered wherever they go (more often than not).
    So yes, the gap isn't as big as it could be because Celtic aren't the team they used to be either. Nowadays they're the team they need to be to win in Scotland and pick up some Euro cash to swell the coffers.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The difference isn't the quality of the teams of Celtic and rangers, it's the disruption / ethos that both have. Celtic are settled, rangers are only getting there. I'd take a taverner any minute.
  • Yeah they could've went full PSG within the context of our league but Lawell & Des are greedy and love money. I hope their fans know how much of a ride they're being taken on (hint: it's as much as we are).

I personally believe that with a little improvement from last season, that league is ours.
    regmcfly wrote:
    I think the problem there might be talksport. There is (shockingly) a Scottish football covering media. It's maybe worth expanding to looking at them.

They have two Scottish presenters during my working hours (it's sometimes on in the van while im driving about) so Scotland is pretty well represented. Jim White was calling for Brendan Rogers to be the FIFA manager of the year last week for example. Depends on what you mean by the problem being TalkSport.

Mines was more a generalisation, like, the type of people that truly believe the EPL is the best and everything else is a pub league lol. The type of person that genuinely submits Your Best Combined XI's on the BBC website. That has SSN on all the time. That believes the drama they peddle. That guy.

I mean, I know Sky and the like just need subs and will do what it takes.

I was being extremely facetious and I apologise but I am enjoying this! Definitely wanting to be less US vs Them this season. Sorry all. Fuck, all I really want is more people to check out our league cos I think it's brilliant. You never know you might enjoy it. Pick a team, get involved. Fuck it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Weird post if we are both on a ride
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    And that league is nowhere near yours. Jessssussss keep a manager for a start.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
  • Look, all I'm saying is we improve our home form and it's ours. Last season an insane amount of points were dropped at Ibrox, unheard of amounts. What we need is a better defence and less actual shitebags on the park. In 6 games we've conceded one goal and definitely have bought non-shitebags. Of course though, time will tell as it does anything.

This is going to be a fun, fun season. I can feel it.

It's my preseason optimism. Let me have it. No hashtags this time.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    I’d wager the gers will be around the same or more points gap as last year to the tic.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    mannaboy wrote:
    I’d wager the gers will be around the same or more points gap as last year to the tic.

I think that's right.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!