Sport Club Greek Mega Thread
  • Its fucking awful for the fans and the regular staff.
    With the amount of money in the sport I feel there should be something to help these clubs (not owners), admittedly I'm not fully up on the ins and outs of such things mind.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Aye Bury are fucked.  Paying beyond their means for two years, renting City's old training ground, plus a two cunts as owners in succession has ruined them.

It was rumoured they were paying Leon Clarke about 6k per week, which is insane for a club of their size.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The always excellent David Squires has a great take on it.

That final panel.
  • I feel like the premier league teams should all chip in to helping these clubs. In the margins of transfers values, the error calculations, you can easily fund a lot of these clubs in hardship.
  • I'm surprised Coventry haven't gone the same way, it's been close a few times and this season it's home games at St Andrews. Lumbered with absolute shitheel owners who won't sell up and won't stop trying to sue the council.

The football's actually going quite well for a change.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I feel like the premier league teams should all chip in to helping these clubs. In the margins of transfers values, the error calculations, you can easily fund a lot of these clubs in hardship.

Despite having been through admin twice ourselves I understand the issues with this. Completely agree that more money needs to filter down, however the issues with these clubs are issues with ownership and management rather than straight up lack of funding. More money available just attracts more vultures, one answer is that the clubs could be owned by either local council or the football league, though I wouldn't trust the latter nor many of the former. That way the owners are literally custodians, and whilst they can invest any decisions would be up to scrutiny and the FL would be equally culpable for teams hitting the wall financially. In fact maybe both, council 25.5%, football league 25.5%, just to stop more unscrupulous chairs pushing through poor decisions. Of course neither the council nor FL could receive any dividend, so the chair doesn't have to be upset about losing money
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I feel like the premier league teams should all chip in to helping these clubs. In the margins of transfers values, the error calculations, you can easily fund a lot of these clubs in hardship.

Maybe there should a change to the rules and clubs below the premier league can become affliated/feeder clubs for the premier league clubs. I know it's an idea many dont like but it could help keep alot of clubs afloat and the affiliation could stop if the feeder club was promoted to the premier league.

Theres alot of complaints that u23 football isn't competitive enough for young players coming through the ranks. A club like bolton could have a better future if it was afflicted with Man City or Man Utd. Something will have to give I dont believe we will have 92 (think that's the number) of professional clubs in 10 years time.
  • Afflicted is right.

I don’t think that teams should be joined to premier league clubs.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Maybe there should a change to the rules and clubs below the premier league can become affliated/feeder clubs for the premier league clubs. I know it's an idea many dont like but it could help keep alot of clubs afloat and the affiliation could stop if the feeder club was promoted to the premier league. Theres alot of complaints that u23 football isn't competitive enough for young players coming through the ranks. A club like bolton could have a better future if it was afflicted with Man City or Man Utd. Something will have to give I dont believe we will have 92 (think that's the number) of professional clubs in 10 years time.

The loan system exists and there's nothing stopping prem league clubs sending kids to the lower leagues to learn their trade. I am dead against affiliated clubs, it completely ignores the history of those clubs and pisses in the faces of their fans. But hey I guess if Man Utd get relegated in a couple of years you'd have no problem with Liverpool using them as a "partner/affiliate". Because however harsh that sounded in your ears it feels no worse in the ears of hundreds of thousands of lower league fans. Especially given that most of them get their young talent and fans snapped up by bigger "local" teams anyway
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Cocko I'm not in favour of it either, but it works on the continent. If it keeps the likes of bolton or bury alive then why not?
  • My main concern really is the ground staff etc on not a lot of money and basic funding so that at the very least the club can continue even if out of the professional leagues.

A parachute payment like relegated teams recieve, payed for by the FA but funded through a tax on something like TV rights payments or player transfers.

Neither team should be able to carry on at the level they are at, that isnt fair on other well ran clubs. Low payed staff shouldn't suffer though and the clubs cant be allowed to be boarded up.

Issued only after the current owner leaves mind. Hand it back to a fan group.
  • Bolton and Bury have both been broken by poor management and ownership.  Shitty directors thinking they can borrow against the club in an effort to make the PL gravy train.  It’s really really shitty for all with affiliation to either club but you can’t come up with a system that keeps them afloat just because part of their business plan involves kicking a ball around.  I appreciate it has more emotional connotations than just being a business for the thousands who follow each club but they can’t be propped up by others who have done a better job than them at running a club.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Cocko I'm not in favour of it either, but it works on the continent. If it keeps the likes of bolton or bury alive then why not?

What does alive mean in this context? Cash in your ability to win?
  • Bolton and Bury have both been broken by poor management and ownership.  Shitty directors thinking they can borrow against the club in an effort to make the PL gravy train.  It’s really really shitty for all with affiliation to either club but you can’t come up with a system that keeps them afloat just because part of their business plan involves kicking a ball around.  I appreciate it has more emotional connotations than just being a business for the thousands who follow each club but they can’t be propped up by others who have done a better job than them at running a club.

I certainly wouldnt want government money going to any of them while they are privately owned, bad enough with West Ham.

I think though that football is harmed when clubs go under. Society as well, these clubs are local meeting points, Bolton Wanderer's stadium home capacity is near enough 10% of the town's population.
  • Lets face it, there isn't really a shortage of money in the English lower leagues, there are just incredibly high wages for players. There's always going to be the gamble to sign a couple if better players who can push you on to the play offs. That slim chance of selling a youngster for millions doesn't help either. The lower leagues are more exciting than anywhere else in the world, but it adds that element of madness.
  • I get the sentiment there liv, really i do.  For plenty of bog standard towns the footie team can be a real community force but they’re nearly all owned by people who think they’re cleverer and richer than they are and that once they’re in the hot seat the business owes them however they see fit.
  • I wont argue with that Uncle.
    I just wonder if there is a way that the FA or even the PFA could help to put clubs like this back in the hands of fans.
    Low to no interest loans and a parachute payment, keep the club going.

Nobody benefits from these clubs folding really. The clubs around them in the table will gain short term but without similar measures will remain just as vulnerable.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Cocko I'm not in favour of it either, but it works on the continent. If it keeps the likes of bolton or bury alive then why not?

What does alive mean in this context? Cash in your ability to win?

Why couldn't an affiliated club win? Stay affiliated until you reach the premier league, then that affiliation ends. Es it's not fair on non affiliated clubs but it's just an idea. Wolves are an affiliated club all be it to a super agent Jorge Mendes.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I wont argue with that Uncle.
    I just wonder if there is a way that the FA or even the PFA could help to put clubs like this back in the hands of fans.
    Low to no interest loans and a parachute payment, keep the club going.

Nobody benefits from these clubs folding really. The clubs around them in the table will gain short term but without similar measures will remain just as vulnerable.

German model, where 51% of the club is owned by the fans. Any business or investor who comes in and buy up 49% of the club has to own the 49% for a period of ten years and show a track record of proper management and investment before they could potentially buy the other 51%. I believe Volkswagen did this with Wolfsburg. If Volkswagen decided to sell up they'd have to return 51% back to the fans and the new owners would only be allowed 49% of the club and have to start the 10 year cycle again. It's a great model. Obviously we'll never embrace it as we'll sell anything to anyone whether they are fit and proper or not.
  • @Dinos first post not the reply to mine.

Trouble with that approach as far as I see it is that it creates a tower of cards that can tumble and take the whole of English football down.

No club or business or brand or company are immune to failure and if they are, well that is an even bigger issue with the game.

Look at where Man U and Chelsea have been on a few occasions this decade. Dropping lower than 5th. With the lack of funds that brings, lack of talent to keep down in the lower leagues. How long before that top tier club pulls the plug on the lower tier club?

@Dinos reply to mine.
    I'm a big fan of the German model.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:

That isn't how it works on the continent, the big clubs created b-teams and entered them into the competition. Some times they've bought out smaller clubs, but not clubs with any sort of history to rival ours. Bolton were founder members of the league, many of the others have honours, even Scunthorpe are 120 years old. Affiliate clubs smells like Franchise FC all over again, and it leaves a bitter taste. Also it simply doesn't work on the continent, if the football league wanted to help lower league clubs I'd be inclined to assimilating the Conference and having a League 2 North and a League 2 South to save on travel expenses, boost away ticket sales and help clubs to generate their own revenue
  • In other news Norwich and Palace are out of the League cup.

Norwich threw it, no Pukki, even on the bench and other 1st team players started on the bench including Krul.

Palace on the other hand seems to have been an upset, went to pens as well.
  • Stoke also knocked out Leeds with a winning pen by Butland.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Bury have won the FA Cup twice, surely they deserve more than to become Burnley's feeder club
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Stoke also knocked out Leeds with a winning pen by Butland.

Oh, maybe he was worth the 30M they wanted for him then, knobheads
  • Stoke were never a Prem club. They got up then got lucky with those stupid Rory Delap throw ins and pure Aids Pulis football.
    Their stadium is so windy all finese goes out the window.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Never liked visiting the Potteries in the bad old days, but always respected Vale more as a club when I first encountered them and they were playing at the same level regularly back then
  • Butland made some woeful errors in their last game.
  • Given that the Football League didnt make sure the Bury owner was actually able to run the club I feel that they should fund the club until a takeover can be sorted.

Im not sure of the situation at Bolton, but I imagine shitty owner covers it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!