Sport Club Greek Mega Thread
  • Magnificent win there.
  • Need the points on the board before the tough away trip to Guernsey.
  • Emotional scenes at Ibrox last night in the wake of Fernando Ricksen's passing. 
    As the match clock hit the two minute mark, the Rangers fans began to applaud their former No.2...
    ...only as the ball had gone out for a throw in at that point, every player on the pitch from both teams just stopped playing and applauded him too. Beautiful thing that.
    And while it sounds cheesy on paper, the sound of 46,000 Rangers fans singing along to Fernando by Abba at half time had a lump in my throat.
    It's what I like most about my job tbh, I do get to see some amazing things.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yep, a roller-coaster it was. Very emotional at the start and fucking terrifying at the end but we hung on.

Classy from Ojo with his celebration for Ricksen.
    MlJjTAd.jpg

Venomous ping for the goal. Take a bow son.

And I gotta say, not that I've looked for it like others definitely do just to get themselves worked up into a rage, but I haven't seen a single shitpost about Ricksen from other teams fans. Real class shown all round, even from Lennon, so fair play. Respec'.
  • Aye, lot of other teams scarves hanging on the gates of Ibrox in tribute yesterday. Nice to see.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Got goose pimples just reading through that. Lovely tribute
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I just put the song on and broke, fucking hell.

<3
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Nothing but respect for Ricksen. The tweet Gav redid from RFC made me tear up. A real one.
  • What an idiot Son is being half a pixel offside for the goal scored 10 seconds later by someone else.
    He needs to work on that in training.

It's a clear and obvious error though the ref should be able to see that some fibres of Son's shirt were further forward than the other player's knee hair. He can use his digital line markers installed in his eyes.
  • Blatant wrestling someone round the neck in the box (on Matip) not a penalty because it’s not a clear and obvious error. Absurdly marginal offside decisions, using cameras that can’t possibly even capture frames at a high enough rate (apparently, I know nothing about this) to accurately decide, are ‘clear and obvious’???!!!!?
    GT: Knight640
  • Awful use of VAR again, as opposed to the perfectly good use in the first half.

Clue - if you're measuring millimetres it probably isn't a clear error.
  • Good goal, fair play.
  • Fair play to Leicester but that VAR shit changed the game.
  • I’ve always said that VAR is the most important invention in keeping the real spirit of football alive.
  • JonB wrote:
    Awful use of VAR again, as opposed to the perfectly good use in the first half.

Clue - if you're measuring millimetres it probably isn't a clear error.

It’s about the CORRECT RESULT.
  • Offside is an easy fix tbf. They just make it so that it’s “linesman’s call” unless there’s actually daylight (or some other way of distinguishing that would kick into effect when the lino has had a shocker) between the 2 players.
  • Put a time limit on it.
    If they cant show the decision is incorrect within 20 seconds then the ref's decision stands.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Knight wrote:
    Blatant wrestling someone round the neck in the box (on Matip) not a penalty because it’s not a clear and obvious error. Absurdly marginal offside decisions, using cameras that can’t possibly even capture frames at a high enough rate (apparently, I know nothing about this) to accurately decide, are ‘clear and obvious’???!!!!?

The clear and obvious error thing doesn't apply to offside decisions, as it's a binary yes/no situation. Like if you're only offside by a little teeny tiny bit, you're still offside.

On the Matip grab, I'd have given a pen for it but the ref on the field didn't think it was a pen, and since it was a subjective call then it can't be a clear and obvious error so they can't overturn it. If the ref didn't see it at all then they can go back, but since he saw it and said no pen then the decision stays with him.

VAR has been brought in to stop the howlers, not to be a miracle solution that always makes decisions that everyone agrees with, because opinions are always going to differ.
  • I think with offside they should have to look at it in real-time, or at most slow motion, and if they can't tell then let the original decision stand. Fuck all this looking at a freeze frame and measuring shit. Can they honestly say that that was the exact millisecond the player passed the ball forward anyway?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Knight wrote:
    Offside is an easy fix tbf. They just make it so that it’s “linesman’s call” unless there’s actually daylight (or some other way of distinguishing that would kick into effect when the lino has had a shocker) between the 2 players.
    But it's only 1mm of daylight!
  • I think they can. It’s pretty hard core cutting edge science and is fully reliable
    Spoiler:
  • I dont want to come across bitter btw here, I think that shit is bollocks regardless. When the Man City goal against was disallowed earlier in the season I was happy but it was total bullshit still.
  • Think they need to change the offside rule so that the benefit of doubt is back in the attacking players favour. Any part of torso in line with the defender and he's onside. Got a season of this ahead unfortunately.
  • Joe Cole is really bad at being on tv.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    Think they need to change the offside rule so that the benefit of doubt is back in the attacking players favour. Any part of torso in line with the defender and he's onside. Got a season of this ahead unfortunately.

Then you're just measuring the torso of the attacking player down to the millimeter. Whether it's torso, daylight or any part that can play the ball you still hit the same issue with marginal calls.
  • Also why do we even need to be so exact on offside given the point of the rule is about not gaining an advantage. It’s there to stop goal hanging. It’s irrelevant if he’s one inch offside. There’s no advantage gained there. Write a new rule.

Paul you change the marginal so that whether it is one side of the marginal or the other the doubt isn’t about whether he was offside, the doubt is about whether it was a ‘clear and obvious’ mistake or not. Then at least you know it was offside. It also happens to bring the rule into line with the rest of VAR. Of course you then have the problem of subjectivity, like you say, what counts as ‘clear and obvious’ when it’s applied to offsides. And that is why VAR as a whole is terrible and they should get rid.
  • If Gazza was one inch taller England might have made the World Cup final.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!