Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    In as much as everyone is entitled to take offense at everything. He's looked at Larry taking the piss out of the appalling judgement of the Italian FA and instead decided that Larry is having a giggle at racism and helping spread the message that racism is some big joke.

That's not what Larry is doing.

No, but can you not see that it could still be hurtful to someone to see that image being used as the lynch pin of a joke, regardless of intent?

"look at those stupid racist people being racist, they might as well as done this other stupid racist thing right here what I'm doing right now instead, look at the stupid racist thing I'm doing, isn't it funny that they could be so stupid."

A massive over simplification of what has happened I know, but it's essentially what it boils down to.

I don't think any less of Larry for doing it, especially considering his response. Sometimes when we're not directly affected by an issue we fail to appreciate the significance of our own actions.

I do think it was brave and honest of Dyna to say that it affected him, and while he might have come across as confrontational initially, maybe he was just a little pissed off?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Well I don't think you can completely disregard intent, as it's the intent that has caused the offence here, and where Dyna has grabbed the shitty end of the stick. So intent is the crux of it for me, and you'd have to be going some to think that Larry is doing anything but ridiculing the Italian FA with that.
  • Doesn't matter if he's ridiculing them. He's posting a racist joke in doing so. That might seem funny in a forum of white males... but take a peep out of the bubble and it looks a little more sickly.

He's clearly not intended any offense. That doesn't mean we can't all learn something. I certainly feel I have.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    He is intending to ridicule the Italian FA, without any intention to offend anyone, but he has done it in a way that Dyna found offensive and hurtful.

That's not a contradictory statement, and I don't think it's fair to accuse Dyna of grabbing the shitty end of the stick. From his perspective maybe it feels like he's having the shitty end of a stick waved in his face?

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I've learned that intent is irrelevant if someone decides to take offense and I'm in trapped in some sort of white man bubble.

The joke didn't seem all that funny to me by the way, I'm not saying it was a knee slapper but I got the point of it. The Italian FA are abysmal, they're the source of offense.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Just look at it from the perspective of someone else for a minute ffs Paul. I think you're showing a real lack of empathy here, or being deliberately obtuse because you think we're being all "pc gone mad" or something.

Can you not accept that, regardless of intention, it is possible to offend someone without meaning to?

If you accept that, would you not like to know if your behaviour is causing offense unintentionally?

You can then make a judgement on whether you want to modify your behaviour or not based on either; you think that offense is justified and you don't want to be the reason for it, and/or you simply don't want to cause offense to that person in that way again.

In this instance I think Larry was completely innocent in his motivations. I also think it is entirely reasonable for Dyna to express his concerns.
  • I've learned that intent is irrelevant if someone decides to take offense and I'm in trapped in some sort of white man bubble.
    Bit unnecessarily facetious. Nobody is having a go.
  • I don't see this one in the way Dyna's approaching it but it's not fair to dismiss the fact that it chafed him enough to discuss it, and if you break it down it is more problematic than the intent/thought process behind an off-the-cuff joke.  I didn't break it down initially though; because of the context it was obvious to me that Larry was aiming his barb at backward thinking and the Italian FA, so I got the gist and moved on.  It's a more legitimate grievance than some of the stuff that goes on for multiple pages on here (good point well made with the UFO thing), but I would say that from my point of view he's being over sensitive (a phrase I'm only using because he used it first).  Fwiw I think someone on a forum having a dig at racism in an admittedly clumsy way - to highlight how fucked up a brazen slice of genuine clandestine racism is - barely even sets foot on the pavement near the bottom of the cunt ladder.
  • And I probably don't even mean barely because there was zero intent.

Edit: Other than good intentions.  So it wasn't even loitering.  I'm off.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    having a dig at racism in an admittedly clumsy way
    from my point of view he's being over sensitive

This is the crux of it for me. You're looking at it from your point of view. Not Dyna's.

He's not saying "Larry, you're a racist". He's saying that what you did there is problematic for me.

Would anyone choose to post a similar image in similar circumstances again? I would imagine not. Why? Because Dyna had the courage to say hey, that's not acceptable to me. That's a good thing. No-one is coming out of this exchange worse off if we can just accept that everyone is well intentioned here.

Even ironic racism is racist, regardless of intent or who's side your on. I trust Dyna's judgement on this subject more than my own, or most of yours.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Just look at it from the perspective of someone else for a minute ffs Paul. I think you're showing a real lack of empathy here, or being deliberately obtuse because you think we're being all "pc gone mad" or something. Absolute horseshit here Goobs, I've not come anywhere near PC gone mad territory and you know it.

Can you not accept that, regardless of intention, it is possible to offend someone without meaning to? If we strip the picture of all intent and context, is it racist? No. Can it be used in a racist way depending on intent and context? Yes. Was it? No. Shitty end of the stick.

If you accept that, would you not like to know if your behaviour is causing offense unintentionally? By all means, I've not tried to stop anyone speaking out, you know this too. I just disagree that there was anything dodgy with Larry's intent.

You can then make a judgement on whether you want to modify your behaviour or not based on either; you think that offense is justified and you don't want to be the reason for it, and/or you simply don't want to cause offense to that person in that way again. In this case, I don't think it is justified. But then again, it seems like I'm the one people are trying to silence, what with being in my white man bubble and all. I don't get to have an opinion.

In this instance I think Larry was completely innocent in his motivations. I also think it is entirely reasonable for Dyna to express his concerns. Me too. I just don't agree with them.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I don't think anyone has claimed there was ever anything dodgy about Larry's intent. And I don't think you're trying to stop anyone from speaking out either. But by being critical of someone for doing so it makes it less likely that they, or someone else, will do do in the future when they have an issue.
  • from my point of view he's being over sensitive
    This is the crux of it for me. You're looking at it from your point of view. Not Dyna's.

Of course, that's why I italicised part of the the line you quoted.  When people say 'I can see it from your point of view' they're just saying they understand where the other person is coming from.  I can't really do more than that, and I'm not trying to correct him on his take nor am I saying his opinion is wrong.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I don't want this to come across as "white man get back in your box" but
    Me too. I just don't agree with them.

You, and me, are not the best arbiters of what is or isn't offensive in terms of racism. Like I said before, I trust Dyna's judgment on that more than my own.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    from my point of view he's being over sensitive

Of course, that's why I italicised part of the the line you quoted.  When people say 'I can see it from your point of view' they're just saying they understand where the other person is coming from.  I can't really do more than that, and I'm not trying to correct him on his take nor am I saying his opinion is wrong.

You kind of are though.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    You're criticising his opinion by saying that he is overreacting. That's explicitly saying that you are responding incorrectly to the situation. Essentially you're saying "you're wrong".
  • He can react to something however he wants, my posts weren't intended as criticism.  To me this was an overreaction, to him it was not.  This is why I don't tend to get involved in debates on here as they often appear a bit like a sumo match with both parties seeking victory, so apologies if I've joined in and come across as if I'm trying to correct anyone.  Dyna, you're not wrong, I just don't see it the same way and what I thought I was doing was essentially saying "with respect I don't agree" while attempting to explain why.
  • I’m perfectly fine with people saying ‘your post was offensive to me’ and don’t mind apologising or deleting. No trouble.

It’s not like I’d choose a 1970’s Bernard Manning style representation of race relations to be the hill that I die on.
  • I'll be honest, I didn't even understand what the joke was. I could work out that it was a dig at the Italian FA, but that was about it.
  • It wasn’t worth the trouble of posting it tbh. It wasn’t particularly funny or worthwhile.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    I’m finding this to be like one of your namesake’s episodes, one unintentional faux pas and all hell breaks out. Cue music.
    Things can only get better.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Now that's funny.
  • Shit, that really was Curb-esque.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I've learned that intent is irrelevant if someone decides to take offense and I'm in trapped in some sort of white man bubble. The joke didn't seem all that funny to me by the way, I'm not saying it was a knee slapper but I got the point of it. The Italian FA are abysmal, they're the source of offense.

Just for you Sparky (and tbh, I've written far more than is necessary), in the past fortnight alone, I've seen a fairly offensive antisemitic comment, the image posted in this thread, and a wildly offensive collection of comments about Muslims in the space of a fortnight.

Of all of those posts, I'd argue that only the antisemitic post was confronted with anything like a serious response. Why? I don't know, but it least it was.

Of the three cases I allude to, the comments I read about the Muslim community in the wake of the terror attack at the start of this month, was amongst the most offensive pieces of racism/hatred I can remember reading for some time, outside of any channel that trades on such language.

So that image, to me, was a full stop of a kind. My reply to Larry was coloured (hurr hurr) as much by what I read in the cultural affairs thread that day, as by his work of 'satire'.

So to clarify, for me, condemning the Italian FA for their actions in one post, only to echo their thesis, in microcosm, two (three, four...) posts later, is frankly, hypocritical.

And as I've pointed out, it's not the first time I've seen such shit. So yes. I wanted to make an example of it.

And finally, it's probably worth clarifying... 

Larry's apologised, and I've already acknowledged it. Which is more than what I'd witnessed in the other two cases I've referenced.

Think about that.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    One last point. I hate seeing topics derailed. Want to carry on this convo? Take it out of this thread. 

But I think I'll pass.

I've written as much as I should need about this.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • If you're on about Gazelles comments, he was called out by multiple people.
  • Whose thesis is being echoed with the repetition of the (hurr hurr) gag?  Larry Davidson?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I've got no clue what the other stuff you're talking about is, but it doesn't seem fair that Larry seems to be copping the flak for it.

Happy to disagree and draw a line under it. Doesn't seem like anyone is getting anywhere.
  • I've learned that intent is irrelevant if someone decides to take offense and I'm in trapped in some sort of white man bubble. The joke didn't seem all that funny to me by the way, I'm not saying it was a knee slapper but I got the point of it. The Italian FA are abysmal, they're the source of offense.

Of the three cases I allude to, the comments I read about the Muslim community in the wake of the terror attack at the start of this month, was amongst the most offensive pieces of racism/hatred I can remember reading for some time, outside of any channel that trades on such language.

Think about that.

The muslim stuff was on here was it? I must of have missed that. Ive never thought of anyone on this forum as racist. I'd hate to be disappointed if that wasn't the case.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!