Graphics that blew your tiny little mind.
  • hunk wrote:
    Xbox

1780545-gfs_5872_2_1.jpg
    Halo CE, scale of level design, enemy ai, sound and stupendous gameplay. Classic shooter and the first one to work with a pad.

Goldeneye would like a word.
  • Never actually played it, but at the time when poly counts were all the rage, I had PC envy because of Outcast. That water!

xgzoh52xsnkv9qq6yzcd.jpg
  • It's probably because they're shit games, but it's a wonder not to see more mentions of Dragon's Lair, Rise of the Robots and LA Noire, all of which had people wailing and openly weeping in the streets.

I'll need to get my own list put together.
  • Did many people actually play Rise Of The Robots, feels like one of those ones that people knew was a dog before it appeared. 

LA Noire was impressive, but it wasn't a massive leap from Rockstar's earlier games. They always feel like they're moving forwards with the graphics. There was a slightly sterile look to a lot of the background city as well, filler around the set piece locations, it wasn't quite as good as their other efforts that gen.

I've never thought of Dragon's Lair as computer graphics, which is maybe unfair, but it's something else to me.
  • There are Rockstar games that I'll probably have in my list (Smuggler's Run, GTAV) but the facial stuff going on in LA Noire was shit-the-bed phenomenal compared to anything else that was going on at the time.
  • I was amazed the first time I saw Dragon's Lair in an arcade, before I knew what it was.

Rise of the Robots certainly had a lot of hype about its graphics pre-release, but the finished game in motion wasn't particularly impressive, even before you played it.
  • The dominance of grey and brown is one of the worst things in games but Inside is beautiful.
    2016092425515443.jpg
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I've been impressed with graphics over the years plenty of times but nothing 'blew my mind' the way Daytona did when I first saw it in the arcades. I was a 12 year old Amiga fanboy and had been partially following that scene back then so was used to seeing things like Zool, Cannon Fodder and Frontier Elite etc.  Sprites and vector graphics.  I was with my mates when they went into the arcades to pour money into the fruit machines.  I had no interest in them and would always wander away on my own to play the games and they'd come through in a bit when they'd run out of cash.  Until I walked into the room and saw it on the screen, I had no idea what Daytona USA was.  It hadn't appeared in any magazine I'd read. I was stunned.  I absolutely couldn't believe what I was seeing.  I was used to playing Mario Kart or F-Zero on my mates SNES.  This shit was like witchcraft.  I really wish I could go back and see the look on my face.  God knows how long I stood there in fucking awe of this thing with my jaw dropped. Weird how such an insignificant event can stick with you.  That was 23 years ago for fuck's sake.  Funny thing is that I've never been a fan of racing games and Daytona was no different.  I got bored after a couple of laps.  But I still get goosebumps when I hear that music.

Co-signing that.

For me, it perfect sums up the thread title...
    It really did blow my mind.

Technically, the jump to Virtua Racing should have been enough, but detailed texture mapping and 60fps frame rates... especially when you drive around 'Sonic Mountain' for the first time...

You knew that games were due to change in a major way after that.
    And when Sega followed that up with Virtua Fighter 2, Sega's work became a watershed.

And to be honest, graphics wise, games have not improved all that much since then... Nintendo have a point about that, definitely.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • First encounter with Dragon's Lair was on the C64, utter shite but the graphics wowed me.
    hqdefault.jpg
  • @Gurt Second your mention of Naissancee. Stunning looking game. Really want to build something like that myself....
    Back on PS1 Alien Trilogy was stunning. Super creepy.
    The Last of Us was just stunning though. I never had a ps3 to play it on so my first exposure to it was the HD remaster on PS4. Literally jawdropping at points.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • @stonechalice
    I have never played Goldeneye on original hw. I have dabbled with it in emulation (project64 back in the day) but never got it running 100% without bugs. The pad controls also felt weird, could not get used to the 1 stick config. The n64 pad was a different beast altogether.

You may have noticed the lack of N64/PS1/Saturn titles in my list. It's mostly because that gen has not aged well visualy in my book even if I did enjoy the games.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I suppose to take it all the way back, the loading screen of The Hobbit on my 48K Spectrum was really a wow moment. It was my first experience of any Spectrum game, so to see that beauty dropping in line by line was quite something.
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • Andy wrote:
    LA Noire, all of which had people wailing and openly weeping in the streets. I'll need to get my own list put together.

the thing that got me with that game was the body animation - when they showed a close up of someones face talking it was great, until you noticed their body or head did not move at all. was weirdly creepy once i noticed, like those mannequins that have a face projected onto them at museums.
  • Strangers Wrath was a looker when that came out.
  • A fair few XBox games were.  Chronicles of Riddick, Otogi 2, Panzer Orta, JSRF.
  • 1475811920660.gif
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • One of the few gifs that comes with sound.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    I was amazed the first time I saw Dragon's Lair in an arcade, before I knew what it was. Rise of the Robots certainly had a lot of hype about its graphics pre-release, but the finished game in motion wasn't particularly impressive, even before you played it.

I remember seeing Dragon's Lair in the arcade but even then I knew it to be based on laser disc and so therefore very limited re interaction. I tried it a couple of times and based on the experience (load delays between sequences, clear learn-by-rote-pay-to-win) I shrugged and walked away.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I think Rise of the Robots was one of those games which the industry hyped, but I dont think the general public bought into the hype. No-one I knew bought it but more importantly no-one was excited or impressed by it. The design was so flat and the game looked terrible even in stills.
    SFV - reddave360
  • My mate got it back in the day, we were hyped to play it. Too young to know any different really.
    I would have been 8 or 9.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Laser disc was better used in this.  Still ropey but in a sit down cab back then it wasn't half bad. 

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Multi-screen arcade games back in the day were something.

TX-1

There was Darius - which had a 3 screen hori-shmup cabinet too. 

• dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    One of the things that have impressed me recently, are the character rigs for the current generation of GTA games...

The effort made to maintain that illusion of solidity is very impressive, but also very easy to overlook.

"I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • all that tech just to render a drunk mans legs!
  • Shame they neutered it for GTA V, the physics in GTA IV are still unmatched.
    Hopefully RDR2 will be a return to form. So many acronyms.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message

The answer to any videogame question.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!