Graphics that blew your tiny little mind.
  • The opening of FFVII leading to Cloud jumping from the train.
  • That's probably been said already but I'm not reading five pages
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Powerdrift with its twisty turny roller coasting tracks and its blistering pace was probably the pinnacle of sprite scaling. Was amazing in the arcade with its hydraulics.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    TDynamite Headdy.  When this boss spun the screen around, oh my: DynamiteHeaddy-Spinderella.gif

Bit of a tangent, but...

"I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I think i will remember the day i played Super Mario 64 in Argos for the rest of my life. I could not believe it was real. I was 11. Be interesting to know what age everybody was when mind most blown.
  • Next mindblow graphical moment: A 3d title with no clipping geometry.
  • A few moments that have knocked my socks off that havent been mentioned much if at all.

Metal Gear Solid - first time up the elevator to the helipad
    MGS2 - the demo on the ship, destructible fruit, raindrops, 60fps
    MGS4 - the opening to chapter 2

Sin and Punishment 2 - the underwater level
    Mario Galaxy 2 - the end of the Slimy Spring Galaxy
    Skyward Sword - the flooded forest, and later the final battle

WipEout HD - zone mode
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Vela wrote:
    A few moments that have knocked my socks off that havent been mentioned much if at all. Metal Gear Solid - first time up the elevator to the helipad MGS2 - the demo on the ship

Absolutely both of these.  I tried to find a gif of the "a Hind D?" moment in MGS.
  • For me it was that bit with the title splash as the elevator went up. Something about the cold metal colour tone really set it out as a special atmosphere and not much else before it had ever done it quite so professionally (in my experience).
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • JMW wrote:
    One game on the Spectrum I can't remember the name of, but you were walking around a pirate ship. The way they did the sea seemed photo-realistic to me at the time; I think it was only white pixels twinkling on and off.

Here you go

• I remember this coming on a cover disc and I was pretty blown away. The music fits really well too.

• contra-3-super-nes-screenshot-2.png

Super Probotector. Specifically the plane coming out of the screen right at you moment, I'd just got a SNES for my Birthday and because I only lived around the corner from school me and some mates quickly ran back to my house during dinnertime to marvel at this amazing new Nintendo miracle machine (it seemed that way at the time anyway, no one I knew at that stage had one, only people's moody older brothers who wouldn't let you play on theirs).

I clearly remember the moment when the plane comes out of the screen on the opening level, everyone just went "woooooaaahhhh!" - we were audibly amazed and awed by this new Mode 7 thingy. There were plenty more moments like that in the rest of the game of course, but that first time - when you didn't expect it, or even imagine that such feats of graphical wonder were even possible. It was a rush, man. 

Rest of the day at school was just killing time, daydreaming of that beautiful little grey machine and almost exploding with anticipation at the idea of what more incredible graphical feats awaited us.
  • The realtime magnifying glass in half life 2.
  • Lava Reef Zone in Sonic & Knuckles impressed me. Especially when you see the Death Egg reactivating in the background.
  • Conan Exile's sensational dong physics. Believe.
  • Hah, a colleague mentioned that to me not 2 mins ago.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A far cry from when the time my cousin drew a cock and balls on the TV using Video Graffiti mode in Surround for the Atari 2600.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!