Dubstep, Grime and other UK urban sounds
  • Dave's album Psychodrama came out yesterday, not heard out yet but people saying it's AOTY material, wall to wall great tracks and crazy wordplay apparently.

Caveat - the fans are obviously gonna say aoty. I've seen a few people saying the album is really good but not aoty worthy.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • 5 stars from The Guardian - 'the boldest and best British rap album in a generation'.  5 from The Independent too.
  • Really? I'll have a listen but it's going to have to be pretty fucking good to be best British rap album in a generation.

I mean, I'm sure the Guardian think it is.
  • I'm five tracks in.  Second track is the highlight so far.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Really? I'll have a listen but it's going to have to be pretty fucking good to be best British rap album in a generation.

I mean, I'm sure the Guardian think it is.

Dave is really fucking good though, he's what 20-21? His song writing ability is insane for his age of nothing else.

He's not a grime guy. Iirc Thiago Silva is the only grime track he's ever really put out. Straight up rap/hip hop stuff usually. I recommend Hangman if you want a track to see what he's all about.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • @Moot_Geeza how did you get on with Dave? I haven't had chance to listen properly but quite a few people are saying this was their favourite track on the album, so  I gave it a listen and boy oh boy storytime goodness is back! Was like I was listening to some Cadet there for a bit. 

Also shout outs to Ruelle on the feature, who I also enjoy in non badaman tunes from the road listening sessions.
  • Okay I've had chance to sit down and listen to this album and my hot take initial reaction is that it's really nice. 

I think my favourite tracks were probably Environment, Lesley and Drama. 

One thing I think is really good is that the album seems really cohesive, one song just seems to flow into the next really easily, the little therapist interludes were well done, and I really liked that a lot of the tracks almost seem to have a minimalist sound to them sometimes, the whole album is just Dave telling it how it is according to him for 45 minutes.

The replay value is insane though because there is so much wordplay going on it's going to take a couple of listens to catch a lot of it.
  • It's good. I don't listen to much UK hip-hop (wouldn't say this is grime, although there is crossover) so I've not got masses to compare it to. His voice isn't the appeal, it's the words not the delivery. I don't dislike the way he sounds, but the vocal cords aren't the hook here. Not got the tracks in front of me but Screwface Capital (I think) was a highlight, but there are multiple legit tracks on there. Agree with the cohesive thing, will be listening again tomorrow. Lesley veers close to too much but styles it out, good stuff.
  • Need to give Psychodrama a couple of play thoughts I think.

It's good. Lyrical ability is great. It transcends a simple music album. Film like quality to it.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • yeah its brilliant
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Heh, I've done it three times. It is rather good.
  • I also recommend the Dave track How I Met My Ex from his earlier EP. It is extremely Lesley but turnt up to 100 on teenage hormones and angst though. But it's still mad like. 

I've had the album on in the background today, keep finding more bits and pieces I enjoy as I listen. Top work that lad, Dave.

• New Devlin! (It's aight, rate Devlin and this is solid enough but I've heard him do waaaay better)

New Lowkey! (Oh mah dayz fams, all the OGs are coming back, yaaassssssssssssss)

Lowkey slow down ffs. Pls.
  • I think Purple Heart might be my favourite Dave now.
  • New Devlin album, The Outcast came out yesterday!

Gonna try and give it a spin in the office this afternoon.
  • Edit: not sorry for the multiple incoming posts

I've got a Traktor S2 on the way and am building back up my dubstep collection with some new additions on top. I'm so excited.

Been trawling through the archives and loving it.

If you ignore all the others definitely check the last video, that's a belter.
  • DS you might like the Rusko track.
  • Last post.
    This is still the defining album for me, I have banged on about it before so sorry for the repeat. The thing that change me from pop observer, behind the curve kid to the be all and end all.
    I will always love this album like a child, it changed my way of consuming music.
    This compilation landed at the perfect point in the UK, the scene had its voice but it was very underground still, bunch of fannys were still wetting the bed to The Feeling then this broke through into the likes of Mixmag.
    A scene was there, then the yanks ran with it and gave it a bad name. More than an album this is a point in time.

• Noice. Looking forward to giving these a go!
  • Dont bother without some decent bass.

Edit: prob should be in the DnB thread but fuck it.

• So this is an turning point in dubstep.
    Rusko rapidly found an appreciation in more mainstream audiences through his samples of movies, mainly Guy Ritchie ones. That and he was bloody good, he did it all on a piece of shit PC as well which was appealing to the community, with the scene being built on rejecting the decadence of Garage.

His rise was accelerated by his relationship with Radio 1 DJ Annie Mac.

This track was released by Mad Decent, Diplo's label. Diplo and Mad Decent pretty much run the American EDM scene now.

Unfortunately Rusko was diagnosed with cancer just as he peaked and had to take a step back. I believe he is alright now but the boat sailed with Skrillex at the helm.
  • Wifey's into Wiley now, she's been loving this one:

It's great.  Get yer scorecards ready though, who wins the McNulty/Stringer battle?

Spoiler:
  • Boasty a banger.
  • Deffo. 

That second vid, first dude up was alright as well, I'm afraid I'm not down enough with popular TV these days to know who McNulty is. RIP me. 

Anyone heard Devlin's album from a few weeks ago? It's sitting in my listening pile of shame right now, feels like it'll get a play while I'm unpacking all my shit in a couple of weeks.
  • Haven't listened to any new grime in ages tbh, I'm one of these wastebrares who just listens to one thing/genre for a bit, then changes. Current mood is set to Country, with a smattering of Aphex. Will get the grime itch again soon, no doubt.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!