Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    If you’re not even enjoying Jessica Jones season 1 then, um, you don’t have good times ahead.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Daredevil is the only good one. And that's patchy.

JJ and Luke Cage really bad. I gave up on LC.

Iron Fist - so bad it's good. Ymmv.
  • Luke Cage was the absolute worst of the worst. Punisher was shit too. Daredevil is decent and best of an atrocious bunch.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I forgot about Punisher. Another one I gave up on a few episodes in.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    It went off the rails in later seasons, but JJ season one was terrific.
    Things can only get better.
  • Like many of you I'm pretty much done with Superhero movies for now, but I did watch Guardians of the Galaxy 3 the other night, and I'm glad I did, because that one is an absolute triumph, and quite possibly the best Marvel film outright.
    Didn't have high expectations going in. I enjoy the Guardians movies, but I'm not super-pumped for them, but this one was just fantastic fun, and a complete lesson in how to do these kind of films well.
    A simple story, a brilliant villain, real heart, and every character got their moment in the sun.
    Bit like a victory lap for the MCU before it retires then. 
    Ultimately, I laughed, I cried, and I had a damn good time. Really good stuff.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep it's solid film, surprisingly dark and wrapped things up well... for now obviously.
  • I watched it the other day too and really enjoyed it. Although at one point I thought there was going to be some plot point about why they're all shouting at each other all the time very loudly, particularly on the organic ring station thing... But not it's just because they were angry, I guess?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • All those netflix shows suffered from being 2 epsiodes 2 long. I did enjoy the vibe of Luke Cage and Tennant is great stuff in Jessica Jones. Iron fist was muddled alright. Punisher season 1 is sludge like but Season 2 felt much better and has some nice moments even if overall its not great shakes. Defenders was Avengers without the budget and didnt work (and what a waste of Sigourney Weaver)

I would take all the netflix shows over all the Disney ones though. Not perfect but provided a nice alternative to the MCU. The relatively more down to earth vibe was a nice change to sky beams.
    SFV - reddave360
  • MattyJ wrote:
    I watched it the other day too and really enjoyed it. Although at one point I thought there was going to be some plot point about why they're all shouting at each other all the time very loudly, particularly on the organic ring station thing... But not it's just because they were angry, I guess?

I took it as all of them dealing poorly with the stress of what was happening and the reason they were there.

Will be interesting if James Gunn ends up leading DC to a place that takes over from Marvel for making quality blockbuster guff. Seeing as their first releases for the new DCEU are still a while off the whole superhero thing could be properly dead in the public consciousness or people might be ready for something another go around.

With What If, I quite enjoyed how the first season brought it all together for the end. Almost made it worth watching. Almost. It's because of that that I kinda want to see through season 2 but we'll see.

I haven't watched Star Wars visions but that at least got a whole bunch of cool animation studios to do episodes for their second season. Aardman, cartoon saloon and others
  • There'll still be money in making Batman and Spider-Man films I expect. The days of the wider universe and taking Captain Nobody and turning it into a blockbuster are probably done.
  • g.man wrote:
    Like many of you I'm pretty much done with Superhero movies for now, but I did watch Guardians of the Galaxy 3 the other night, and I'm glad I did, because that one is an absolute triumph, and quite possibly the best Marvel film outright. Didn't have high expectations going in. I enjoy the Guardians movies, but I'm not super-pumped for them, but this one was just fantastic fun, and a complete lesson in how to do these kind of films well. A simple story, a brilliant villain, real heart, and every character got their moment in the sun. Bit like a victory lap for the MCU before it retires then.  Ultimately, I laughed, I cried, and I had a damn good time. Really good stuff.
    Guardians 3 was wonderful. I actually like the trilogy above a lot of the other stuff that has been put out there. 
    My son watched Love and Thunder and he had a great time with it. It's not a patch on Ragnarok but I think it was Taita trying to get out of making more Marvel movies.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I think Guardians 3 is a bit maudlin and manipulative. Animal in duress let's go.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    And that's as someone who I'm fairly sure a scout of the old rooms would reveal a fan of James Gunn. (Unless I'm high as a kite.)
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Apparently WB have upcoming video games planned that will be canon to the new James Gunn universe so, uh, look forward to that, I guess.
  • Gunn might make DC movies of a better standard (His Suicide Squad was definitely my favourite of the most recent batch) but I think the earth is a bit scorched on the heroes stuff. I think monkey is right - Batman and Spiderman will always have a place and the likes of Thor and Iron Man have definitely been boosted by Marvels heyday but pulling more minor characters and more fantastical concepts might have had its time.
    SFV - reddave360
  • The boys are back!

Come with g if you want to live...
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The Marvels has hit Disney+.
  • Yep, watching it right now.
    It's great they have a choice between the theatrical version and the IMAX version.
    IMAX version looks stunning in 4k with HDR
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Ooo will be on that tomorrow night. Loved Ms Marvel so more fun like that and I’ll be happy.
  • It certainly is fun. Some creative action scenes with a big dash of humour and cats.
    Plus it's nice to see a superhero movie with such vibrant colours
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • That’ll probably tempt me to buy a month of D+.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Did anyone actually watch Echo? I feel like it sank without a trace.
  • I watched (and enjoyed) it. Best bits were every time Fisk was on screen, though. Would rather have had a Kingpin series.
  • I still haven't seen it!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Looks… promising? It’s quite interesting that they trademarked a bunch of titles then almost immediately announced the final title. Social media seemed to come to a consensus on Deadpool & Wolverine as soon as the trademark news broke so I wonder if that had any influence.
  • Looks like it could be fun. Little bit sick of Ryan Reynolds being Ryan Reynolds though.
    He kind of did a Marvel to his brand by oversaturating the market of him by being himself in every movie so it doesn't feel fresh anymore.
  • I don't see it... *looks at camera*.. Taking off.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!