Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • regmcfly wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    I guess we are in spoiler culture. Never know how Romeo and Juliet ends.
    Yeah but was Shakespeares any gud tho?
    I guess we will never know.
    Surely for an opinion to raise an expectation you would have know the person. I could say Endgame was easily in my top ten films of all time. But for all anybody knows Beverley Hills Ninja could also be in that top 10. Thus rendering my opinion on the relative merit of cinematic axiology as meritless.
    The Room is a top 10 of all time for me. I will sit down and watch it any time it's up.

Yep, there are so many reasons why a film might resonate with someone that are utterly unrelated to any objective measure of quality. (If such a thing even exists.)
    I have genuine love for both Battle Beyond the Stars (which my kids have -shockingly- proclaimed the worst film ever made) and Trigger Happy/ Mad Dog Time - a film Roger Elbert described as “the first movie I have seen that doesn’t improve on the sight of a blank screen”. I accept why others regard them as shit, but they bring me a hell of a lot more pleasure than a whole bunch of “better” films.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Yep, there are so many reasons why a film might resonate with someone that are utterly unrelated to any objective measure of quality. (If such a thing even exists.)
    I have genuine love for both Battle Beyond the Stars (which my kids have -shockingly- proclaimed the worst film ever made) and Trigger Happy/ Mad Dog Time - a film Roger Elbert described as “the first movie I have seen that doesn’t improve on the sight of a blank screen”. I accept why others regard them as shit, but they bring me a hell of a lot more pleasure than a whole bunch of “better” films.

Battle Beyond the Stars is a quality film though, it has a screenplay by John Sayles riffing on The Magnificent Seven, that alone is worthy of praise.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Endgame soon!

I've seen it nyaaaahhh
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So out of the 22 MCU movies I've so far seen.... zero

Thinking it might be time to make amends. Hitting up https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47623536 and https://www.cnet.com/how-to/avengers-endgame-countdown-stream-marvel-movies-in-order/ and some charity stores I reckon, plus skipping three ones the beeb article suggests.

Wish me luck.

And it's a good thing there aren't any non-MCU superhero movies...
  • I've seen all of them bar one without really ever trying that hard - don't think I saw Ultron till I watched it at 1am one night on Netflix long after it was out.

(Haven't seen the second Thor cos the first bored me shitless)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The second Thor was not great.

I’ve seen them all, mostly via illegal downloads. Take that Disney, or something.
  • Thor 1 and 2 are entirely forgettable . Age of Ultron isn't great. But that's the one where the directors hands were tied by the studio (they got more directly involved) and the studio realised its mistake and didn't do that again for the movies after that.

Don't agree with BBC that you can skip Black Panther, GOTG2, Doc Strange and Captain Marvel.
  • Ultron, like most of these films is just total MOR. Coma entertainment.
  • Unfortunately Ultron is pretty important so hard to skip.
    Can easily skip Iron Man 2 or Thor 2.
  • I watched it again recently (well, my dad stuck it on whilst I was at his) and it was a lot more enjoyable than I recall. Like having keys dangled in front of you.
  • Haha. Yeah second watch was better for me, just let the action wash over you.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Thor 1 and 2 are entirely forgettable . Age of Ultron isn't great. But that's the one where the directors hands were tied by the studio (they got more directly involved) and the studio realised its mistake and didn't do that again for the movies after that.

Don't agree with BBC that you can skip Black Panther, GOTG2, Doc Strange and Captain Marvel.

What? Panther is key for having Wakanda, the super tech used for Vision removing the stone and the place of the entire final battle / 30 mins of the film. GOTG2 maybe but the Guardians have a pretty in depth role in the Thanos stuff. Doc Strange again is integral to a lot of that movie. Captain Marvel I don't know about until I see Endgame tomorrow.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Skipping Black Panther and Doctor Strange are bizarre Endgame recommendations to me.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • You could probably skip all of them up to avengers 1
  • Meh, I say go in and watch them all. There’s not any I don’t really enjoy, maybe those first 2 Thors aren’t great or anything but I still enjoyed them.

Agree with you tempy, Ultron is also way more entertaining than I remember. I never disliked it, but watching it again recently made me realise I actually really like it now.

Maybe my tastes just get simpler as I get older. I want pew pew super power films, giant robots, and the same punk music I heard when I was 16 forever now please.
  • They are kids films.  I'm sure you could work out who's who pretty quickly.  I hadn't seen Dr Strange when I watched Infinity War and it made fuck all difference.  I'm not sure you'd be lost for not having watched Black Panther either.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I watch like five movies a year in general. This may take a while...
  • I'd watch them all if you have chance just so you have an idea of what's being paid off, although I doubt youd have trouble following the overall gist of things.

In terms of whats just not worth the time, I think thor 2 and hulk are the throwaway films. Iron man 2 isn't great but it does introduce war machine and black widow. Thor 1 has a certain charm.
    SFV - reddave360
  • acemuzzy wrote:

Well they arent stopping making new marvel movies anytime soon. You'll be catching up forever...
  • acemuzzy wrote:

Holy crap, I’ve done that in a day before.

I now feel like maybe I’ve wasted by life.
  • I’d love to speak to someone who just flat up went and watched Infinity War and Endgame without seeing the previous films. I bet they wouldn’t loose all that much.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I’d love to speak to someone who just flat up went and watched Infinity War and Endgame without seeing the previous films. I bet they wouldn’t loose all that much.

But they wouldn’t know what they’ve lost.

The main thing would be how the characters evolved to get to this point, Tony Stark’s arc is one of the best character progressions in modern cinema.
  • Yeah I just meant in terms of comprehension really
  • I watched endgame before black panther, i probably would've enjoyed black panther more if I'd seen it first tbh.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Black Panther just seems super weird in terms of a big chunk of Infinity War happening in Wakanda and the general involvement of the characters. It's not just comprehension, part of the enjoyment of Endgame is supposed to come from watching 11 film franchises coalesce into this one big event and it just seems an odd one to cut.

I can understand not wanting to watch literally all 20-something films to catch up but at the same time you kinda need to watch all but the most skippable to have the desired effect - and Black Panther is not one of those!
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • HawBawJaws wrote:
    I watched endgame before black panther, i probably would've enjoyed black panther more if I'd seen it first tbh.

Do you mean before I finish War? Because I did the same. You kind of know enough of what they did with BP with civil war as an intro anyway. Still, great film and glad I got it when bBu Ray when it came out.
  • HawBawJaws wrote:
    I watched endgame before black panther, i probably would've enjoyed black panther more if I'd seen it first tbh.

Do you mean before I finish War? Because I did the same. You kind of know enough of what they did with BP with civil war as an intro anyway. Still, great film and glad I got it when bBu Ray when it came out.

I did aye. Got endgame on the brain just now!
  • Towards the end of the series, Marvel made it pretty hard to watch them in order unless you make it to the cinema for every one.

I skipped Black Panther in the cinemas. They didn’t release it for rent until after Avengers: Infinity War hit cinemas. So I saw those two the wrong way around.
  • Haven’t seen Spiderman. Seen the rest. What am I missing?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!