Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    They asked to go 50/50 on investment and profit didn’t they? Doesn’t seem particularly dickish to me.

Then they should offer Sony the same deal on future Avengers films featuring Spider-Man.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    For owning the rights to one character out of 500?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    For owning the rights to one character out of 500?

Fair is fair.

Disney made a deal for 5% of first dollar gross and the complete merchandising revenue.

Now after Far From Home has become Sony’s most successful film of all time they want 50/50 and to keep all the merch.

If people keep bending Disney will keep pushing.

And they already have a ridiculous amount of power.
    They got greedy.
  • From a creative point of view they did do a much better job of it so as a consumer it will be a shame if they cant resolve this.

I do know what you are saying about Disney though. They are definitely flexing their financial muscles.

If Sony stick to their guns you can bet your ass Disney will deliberately release a big Marvel film the same week as Sony's Spiderman and muscle them out of screens.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sony were also being greedy, they’d been handed a huge franchise which they could have made a crapload of money off while doing absolutely nothing. Presumably the contract negotiation for future instalments was hardly a surprise either, I doubt that any contract was broken, just that it only lasted a couple of films.

Personally, I think that a 50/50 split sounds pretty reasonable considering the fact that Disney would have been putting in the actual work to make the films, although the merchandising should definitely have been up for negotiation.

Both sides wanted a bigger slice of a big pie and here we are.
  • the fact that Disney would have been putting in the actual work to make the films

What?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    From what I can tell, these Spider-Man films were basically Marvel productions.
  • Yeah, since Spider-Man has been in the MCU, Sony has had a Paramount style deal.

Do nothing, have your logo appear somewhere, make shit loads of money.
  • Is the 50/50 deal still not a good deal? The cost of these movies is huge. And Spiderman is of more value while he is part of the MCU than as a stand alone hero. I'm not sure if Spiderman on his own is as strong as he is thanks to his inclusion in Civil War and the Infinity Saga.

Also curious how this affects the universe that Spiderman is currently in. I'm guessing Happy Hogan and Nick Fury are no longer options? Will they be allowed to reference Tony Stark and all the Iron Man tech? Iron Man has been a big part of the 2 Spiderman films and the characters growth, would be odd not to be able to mention any of this in Spiderman 3.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Sony won’t do a Spider-Man 3, they’ll do a reboot and fuck it up.
  • poprock wrote:
    Sony won’t do a Spider-Man 3, they’ll do a reboot and fuck it up.

And the cosmic ballet continues...

Another question - how involved were Marvel in Spiderman:into the multiverse?
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Sony were also being greedy, they’d been handed a huge franchise which they could have made a crapload of money off while doing absolutely nothing.

They weren’t handed anything, they paid for the rights to the character in the late 90’s (a move which kept Marvel afloat at the time as they were pretty much bankrupt) and then paid the production budgets for numerous films, at the very least keeping the character in the public conscience and along with X-Men at Fox providing Marvel & Disney with the blueprint for financially viable superhero movies.

If the Raimi Spider-Man or Singer X-Men had flopped, it’s unlikely we would have a Marvel cinematic universe at all.

The later deal was for Sony to essentially produce an MCU film, as Kevin Feige stated at the time.

“The agreement was that it is very much a Sony Pictures movie. Amy Pascal is co-producing it with us and [Sony Chairman] Tom Rothman is leading the charge for Sony”

In return Disney got to use the character Sony owns the cinematic rights to in it’s own films for free, received creative input into the Sony films got 5% of the gross and got to completely own the related merchandising to the film character (who still ranks as Marvel’s most popular character).

I didn’t see Disney offering Sony a cut of the merchandising money either.

I’d have told them to jog on as well.

Instead Sony made numerous counter offers, which Disney dismissed basically stating “I am altering the deal, pray I don’t alter it any further”

If I was at Sony, I’d now be more inclined to do a bit of universe building, push on with Into the Spiderverse 2 and look at doing a Spider-Gwen or Jessica Drew film before another Spidey sequel (Kraven).

Because let’s face it, Sony has the film rights to hundreds of characters in the Spider-Man universe and can do what they like with them.
  • Andrew Garfield 2 made about half of what Tom Holland 2 made.
    So there isn't much of a deal there for Sony really, they may as well roll the dice on making a good movie and making more.

Spiderverse made half of what Garfield 2 made so while it was creatively fantastic it's not good business to lean into that.

The problem they face is Disney are fast becoming an absolute monster that will be impossible to battle.
    They are getting to the size where profit projections are hard to compare and they will move into talk of market share "3 out of 5 ticket stubs are for Disney productions". At that point anyone doing anything similar to what Disney is doing will be totally fucked.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    The problem they face is Disney are fast becoming an absolute monster that will be impossible to battle.

They are getting to the size where profit projections are hard to compare and they will move into talk of market share "3 out of 5 ticket stubs are for Disney productions". At that point anyone doing anything similar to what Disney is doing will be totally fucked.

Ain’t that the truth.

And everyone knows when one company is completely dominant it can only mean good things for consumers as well as the industry at large.
  • Yar - really struggling to see the logic and thought process behind the "Sony = greedy" brigade (and there's a lot of this stuff about) at the mo.
  • I saw a hashtag. I laughed.
  • I think Holland Spider-mate is my favourite part of the new Marvel films. Like every kid on earth, spider-man is a massive part of my childhood, so when he appeared in the Civil War film I was genuinely in awe. And that the standalone film was also so much fun was a huge bonus.

I’ve seen all those spider-dude films, and I was so deflated by Garfield 2 I thought I might actually just stop trying to watch them. Absolute garbage.

I don’t doubt that this will end with a deal by the end, but the thought of them trying to carry on without the MCU stuff is disappointing. Although Disney are spoiling everything for yet more money, Sony can’t make it work without them, and they know it.

UNLESS they just say ‘fuck it’ and do a Miles Morales film series instead. Either animated or live action, they’ve already got the origin film out of the way. That spider-verse film was just ridiculous, I couldn’t stop smiling.
  • I haven’t seen Holland 2 but I’ll assume that writing Spider-man out of their universe now would make the Marvels look pretty ridiculous at this point as well. They’ve been bigging him up as the new hero to carry the marketing. Greed doesn’t really come into it. Or at least it does come into it but so much, on both sides, that it’s irrelevant. Greed ruined Maguire 3. Greed exhausted the franchise with the Garfields. Disney have built an empire on greed. Greed is everywhere.

Personally, the film industry hasn’t served Spidey that well. With the exception of Verse, none of them have been as faithful to the source as I’d want them to be. Maguire 1 and 2 have been the closest to what I want from a Spider-man film and they were still a way off.
  • Feige turned Guardians of the Galaxy into tentpole IP, so I'm sure he can manage fine without Spidey, especially if they're gearing up for X-Men and Fantastic Four or whatevers.
  • To be fair with GotG he hadn’t just made a movie setting them up as the central focus for the next big Avengers event.
  • Ah right, I've not seen Spidey 2 yet.
  • Then none of that happened.

After the events of Endgame, Peter lived a normal happy life, and nothing else fantastical happened in the world ever.
  • They will do something petty in the next movie won't they? They'll have happy talking with someone, 'hey, the kids out. Couldn't handle it.'

Sony will screw up the next one by trying to world build again, setting up 40 villains with venom squeezed in again.
    SFV - reddave360
  • It’s worth not forgetting that the best Spider-Man film was made contemporaneously with the MCU but completely outside of it.

• Yeah, but I'm super hype for the new Tom Holland MCU movie, Night Monkey.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    Ah right, I've not seen Spidey 2 yet.

Aye, careful with those spoilers.
  • Have to wonder why Disney would try and rock the boat with such an important character. Holland was definitely well cast as the role and spiderman has definitely been built to be the central avenger role in the same way iron man was. Kinda figured that captain marvel is the new thor, (super powered, not always around) black panther is new cap (not hugely over powered but a patriot leader regardless of super powers) and spiderman became the new iron man.
    SFV - reddave360
  • djchump wrote:
    Feige turned Guardians of the Galaxy into tentpole IP, so I'm sure he can manage fine without Spidey, especially if they're gearing up for X-Men and Fantastic Four or whatevers.
    Starlord on a poster isn’t getting bums on seats like Spider-man. Iron Man wouldn’t have before his films either though so you’ve got a point. I predict this will end with Spider-Man still in the MCU, Disney getting a bigger slice and giving Sony some bumps or characters to use for their stuff or something. It’s in the interests of both for it to continue as is.

Conceivably the MCU wouldn’t even be able to mention the character that isn’t there anymore. Unless they’ve got that covered already in their first agreement.
  • It amuses me that somebody somewhere in Marvel's Money Tower actually signed off on this poster...

Marvel-Black-Widow-Movie-Poster.jpg

shit sandwich

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Marvel posters are uniformly terrible so no surprises there

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!