Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • I have the Bat-Film for you.

p838_v_v8_aa.jpg

It’s as good as any of the others.
  • Nolans plot holes are mostly forgivable (dkr pushes it) but compared to the plot a caverns in the other live movies, it's not even close. The animated stuff is stron I admit, Kevin conroy is my fab bat's (and hamaily gav joker)

Each to their own but purely from the live movies, Nolans 3 batman would all feature in the top 4 out of the 9 movies for me (counting batman v supes but not justice league)
    SFV - reddave360
  • Batman and Batman Returns are both great.
  • Batman and Batman Returns are both great.

They’re certainly the best of the bunch, Returns is top, it hasn’t aged as badly as the original.
  • You both are crazy. Returns is a mess and how on earth can you complain about nolans films having plot Holes and then champion batman returns.
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    You both are crazy. Returns is a mess and how on earth can you complain about nolans films having plot Holes and then champion batman returns.

Whose championing it?

I said it’s the best, which it is when compared to the utter dross that followed.

It’s a bit like me saying that Diphyllobothrium latum is my favourite tapeworm.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    You both are crazy. Returns is a mess and how on earth can you complain about nolans films having plot Holes and then champion batman returns.
    Whose championing it? I said it’s the best, which it is when compared to the utter dross that followed. It’s a bit like me saying that Diphyllobothrium latum is my favourite tapeworm.

Fair point, I thought you said returns was tops and not top. Apologies.

But I still think you are well wide of the mark with Nolans movies, but each to their own.
    SFV - reddave360
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    I thought I had Aquaman figured out when Willem Defoe turns up for a super serious parley with the king riding a giant seahorse. But then they played that whole scene completely straight.

It’s a total mess. Mamoa isn’t too bad but really the only way to make this film is as a comedy starring Chris Hemsworth. I don’t know how it made so much money. Who was waiting for this to come out?
    Not white people iirc
  • RedDave2 wrote:

I liked the tim burton take on batman. Then again i also liked the nolan grounded take on batman. Shame we wont get to see Affleck's take on batman, i think that could have been really interesting. Gritty, hard edged batman. Plus if it covered the joker murdering robin....

Still waiting on someone to make a movie of batman around his "worlds no1 detective" abilities.
  • I did like Affleck as Daredevil, shame they butchered the film in the edit.

Hahaha! No.
    Gamertag: gremill

spock-eyebrow-raise-o.gif
    SFV - reddave360
  • The directors cut of Daredevil is a perfectly acceptable movie.
  • It's a terrible movie full of terrible performances! Each to their own I suppose.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I’m not claiming it’s The Bad & The Beautiful or anything and the theatrical cut is utter tosh.

But as superhero movies go the Directors Cut is easily better than any of the Nolan Bat Flicks.
  • RedDave2 wrote:

Whose championing it?

I am! Returns is amazing and still amazing and the first Burton one is also still amazing so fuck y’all.

Oh and that new bird of prey trailer looks genuinely great and is making me actually want to watch suicide squad?

I didn’t mind justice league or bat v sup really, wouldn’t call them great or anything, just kind of mediocre with some good scenes.

• I was OK with man of steel, bat's v sup and suicide squad. None were great but they had their moments and could have been better because most of the casting is pretty good. Justice league though is a total mess in every aspect. Snyder doing Snyder is what it is - it kinda works in a superficial way. But justice league is when Snyder gets mixed with joss whedon in a wannabe mcu way. Just awful.

I can see how people find batman returns entertaining in a Burton way. I just don't rate Burton as a film maker. His visualisation hasn't progressed beyond his early work, even batman returns feels jaded. It has some top performances but the actual film doesn't entertain me.

Just curious - do you like the Gotham TV show? I think it shares the same problems as Burton batman World.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Oh never seen that. I’m a bit of a Burton fanboy so that’s a large part of it. As well as getting all the batman returns toys on Christmas, as those are the batman films when I was little.

Actually mostly Burton films were all on repeat when I was little, by me, my brother and then my little sister. That’s a bit weird isn’t it. My dad was a big fan too I suppose.

Edit: as I wrote thinking how I saw these quite dark films as a kid, I then realised loads of kids grew up with the batman where jokers trick is to shove a pencil in a dudes eye. Nicholson doesn’t seem so bad.
  • Batman: White Knight comic would make a good movie. Its an interesting read.It would have to be an 18 certification though. Maybe if the DC black label takes off, we may see it. One day.
  • Since I'm here, worth mentioning that spiderverse is pretty well tops of all of the comic movies I've seen. (us comics)

Has anyone revisited the crow in the last 10 years?

I fear it'll have aged terribly. Given it was a teenage me fave to begin with, that's dangerous.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I realise, given the thread, that I'm coming with all the new takes.

*jumps into movie thread,* how about that pulp fiction hey.
  • The Crow can't really age if you ever saw it outside of its original run, because its very much of its time.
  • Don't think the crow has aged too badly. I never thought it was quite as good as it should have been even without the death (and from what I've read, Lees death forced the film maker to be more creative with earlier scenes) but it definitely had something. I think I saw it a year ago and what worked back then is still strong (the imagery, the resurrection, the vengeance stuff) and what didn't looks a it worse now (the kid, the mother side plot, the way the movie kinda slouched after skank is killed)

Still good fun thiugh
    SFV - reddave360
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:

I liked the tim burton take on batman. Then again i also liked the nolan grounded take on batman. Shame we wont get to see Affleck's take on batman, i think that could have been really interesting. Gritty, hard edged batman. Plus if it covered the joker murdering robin....

Still waiting on someone to make a movie of batman around his "worlds no1 detective" abilities.

I think that's the plan for the Robert Pattinson batman film. To make it a detective story. We'll see though
  • Lego Batman is the best Batman movie since the Adam West one.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Lego Batman is the best Batman movie.

This.

So good.
  • That's fair.
  • Quinn looks pretty good. I do wish Ewan McGregor would stop trying to do an American accent though.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Quinn looks pretty good. I do wish Ewan McGregor would stop trying to do an American accent though.

Wartsss youeerr praablem shebby
  • Interesting difference between movie goers and movie reviewers on metacritic for the Joker movie. Movie goers calling a masterpiece and reviewers criticising it. I dont pay much attention to reviews, but this ones peaked my interest.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!