Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Actually that's not the case. It performed well at Venice, it received numerous glowing reviews. I think in society, it's proving problematic, but the general consensus from reviewers is positive. This seems to be a narrative growing from bad parts of the internet.
  • Imagine clapping something for eight minutes
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Actually that's not the case. It performed well at Venice, it received numerous glowing reviews. I think in society, it's proving problematic, but the general consensus from reviewers is positive. This seems to be a narrative growing from bad parts of the internet.

The negative aspect went widespread the moment the trailer dropped and has only been fuelled by Todd Phillips being a twat.

It does however highlight the need for more diversity in critic circles, seems to be a disproportionate amount of middle aged white men in the group.
  • So brie larson was right!
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    So brie larson was right!

Was there ever any doubt?
  • Frosty wrote:
    Imagine clapping something for eight minutes

Become increasingly wary of how a film performs at festivals, generally because the reviews themselves appear to be a performance in response to the festival. It’s all quite insulated.

That’s in no way me suggesting critics are pointless, but the festival circuit is rather particular and I dunno if it’s a mindset that chimes with my own these days.
  • At the rate that 4 and 5 star reviews are dished out on seemingly every film, I must be honest , I only read reviews for the review. I don't need to agree with it, I just like a well written review particular if its a film I have seen or wont see. Generally avoid reviews if its something I want to see and word of mouth from friends and here is a much bigger factor.

Edit - I really like RLM reviews - Jay is a bit of a film snob where as Rich is a bit closer to my own tastes and Mike is probably about the fairest reviewer (He doesn't seem to need a film to be great to recommend it - just a simple 'did I enjoy it? Yeah')
    SFV - reddave360
  • The idea that Jay is a snob is fun, he’s into his films but he’s so rarely snobbish about it.
  • I posted this in film thread but will cross post here. No spoilers at all.

JOKER

Just wow. Wow wow wow.

Just left the cinema. Will fill this in when i get home. But wow.

Edit: I wont say too much but THIS is the gotham I've always imagined. Gritty, dirty and filthy. Phoenix deserves and oscar for a spellbinding mesmeric performance. Its a shame that this is a standalone movie as you'd love to see batman in this particular gotham.

Almost a masterpiece of a movie and an absolutely iconic take on the joker.
  • Dino = Incel, confirmed.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • From the indepedent newspaper

Joker has broken the US box office record for October openings and debuted with $93.5 million in domestic earnings.

The origin story starring Joaquin Phoenix as Arthur Fleck/Joker also took $140 million overseas to mark a global launch of $234 million, according to The Hollywood Reporter. It also marked the best opening for Warner Bros in two years.
  • I wonder how many movies will now be targeted toward the obviously lucrative incel market.
  • If its a comic character origins story and done well (like the joker) then make as many as they want. Though i dont think there are enough strong villians in the DC universe to make many standalone origin movies.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    If its a comic character origins story and done well (like the joker) then make as many as they want. Though i dont think there are enough strong villians in the DC universe to make many standalone origin movies.

It’s not the origin story for the Joker it’s the origin story for a Joker.

And I think he’s pretty much the only major villain who can get away with that.

• The Joker shouldn't have an origin story. I genuinely think that they should do a series of films with different, contradictory origins.

You could easily do a Sinestro film, but I'm not sure how much the popularity of Green Lantern in comics would translate to a film.
  • The Joker shouldn't have an origin story. I genuinely think that they should do a series of films with different, contradictory origins.

You could easily do a Sinestro film, but I'm not sure how much the popularity of Green Lantern in comics would translate to a film.

Yes. Party of what makes Joker so interesting is that no-one knows anything about his origins or motivations. I was disappointed when I found out they were doing the film.

To be fair that’s why he’s the only character you can do it with, he already has at least five contradictory origin stories, so adding another doesn’t actually change anything, the fact that in this one his real name is A Fleck just adds to the argument that it’s yet another tall tale.
  • Yeah I thought exactly the same, but apparently the film is, in itself, a contradictory tale by an unreliable narrator. Which if true is quite clever.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Quinn looks pretty good. I do wish Ewan McGregor would stop trying to do an American accent though.

Wartsss youeerr praablem shebby

Ha! Way too accurate

• Why Joaquin Phoenix's Joker must be kept isolated from the rest of the Batman films
    By Ben Child

WARNING: This article contains spoilers
    As good as Joker is, do comic book fans really want its nihilistic malaise infecting the DC cinematic universe? Aren’t superhero films supposed to be fun?

https://amp.theguardian.com/film/2019/oct/09/week-in-geek-joaquin-phoenix-joker-must-be-isolated-from-batman-dc-comics

A good article........
  • Considering how DC latched onto the stylings of Nolan's films it's a little bit of a worry that they'll do that again but with Joker.
    If they do it under a different label like the DC Black that Phillips has suggested then it's not such a bad idea. But I'd rather it be about looking at how to explore characters in a typical drama sensibility than them all having look and feel the same. Just let directors make the movies they want to make
  • DC Black presents 'The Riddler' - the story of a man who's failure to beat the eggheads on the tv gameshow led him down a dark path to devise the most feindish puzzles and riddles ever.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • DC Black presents 'The Riddler' - the story of a man who's failure to beat the eggheads on the tv gameshow led him down a dark path to devise the most feindish puzzles and riddles ever.

Even better, a misunderstood genius rejected by his inferior peers seeks revenge on the lumpen idiotic masses:
    Vr7ad2O.jpg

He one killed a man, just to watch him die - and now he can't stop.

• DC Black Presents CALENDERMAN

Because some idiot will love it, somewhere
  • It was just another day at the calendar factory for Julian Gregory Day when suddenly an explosion because of bad capitalism changed his life forever.  Also incels are in it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    So he became Calenderman because he couldn’t get a date?
  • monkey wrote:
    It was just another day at the calendar factory for Julian Gregory Day when suddenly an explosion because of bad capitalism changed his life forever.  Also incels are in it.

10/10, a masterpiece, a career defining roll for Jake Gyllenhall says some guy who hasn’t seen any film he’s been in since Donnie Darko
  • Danny The Street - The 10th Film from Quentin Tarantino.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    So he became Calenderman because he couldn’t get a date?

*Applause*
  • Danny The Street - The 10th Film from Quentin Tarantino.

Episode 8 of Doom Patrol introduces Danny and it's about as far from DC grim dark as you could get and as fabulous as you might imagine.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!