The B&B Musicians/Producers/DJs Thread
  • I think it is the Les Paul Junior (was listed as such, and has LPJ on the head).
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Nope,  it isn't.
  • There is much kerfuffle on the Gibson site about the misnomer from angry people:
    one guy wrote:
    the J does stand for Junior. this is the new entry level for both the les paul and the SG. the traditional slab body les paul that everybody thinks as the les paul jr, is now the les paul special, and it also has 490/498 humbuckers now.
    well all you guitar brainiacs out there'' as i said the gibson i own 2012 gibson vintage is not a junior? well roger ball from gibson just e-mailed me and as i thought no the lpj is not a gibson les paul junior'' so i guess you know more then the makers of the guitar , it is not a slab body it is not a small headstock it does not have a mounted pickguard and the pickups are hotrodded extra wounds and the maple neck,cap is indictitive of a custom les paul need i say more thank you no applause please , thank you thank you.'' P.S. IF YOU DONT WANT MY WORD WHICH I ALREADY KNEW THE GUITAR I BOUGHT CONTACT THE GENTLEMAN YOURSELVE ROGER BALL ,
  • Tricky shits.
  • The fact that I don't even know what the guitar I've just bought is suggests I may have rushed into this purchase somewhat.
  • Nahhh, you'll be alright. But for the duff pickups (I can hear the muddiness already I just know it), it's a nice looking object.

Do take it to a pro tech for an inaugural set up though. They'll spot any mechanical weaknesses and address them.
  • Don't let my nerding over the name put you off. Play it; keep it if you like it, return it if you don't. The same would apply whatever you bought.
  • The only axes I've purchased and not had examined were custom made and so seen to in detail before they ever reached me. A factory guitar, of any price Squier-to-PRS-superreservestock gets a looksee from a luthier I trust.
  • The only electric guitar I've ever owned was a Fender Squire (?) from Argos.  I don't think I'll feel the need to change any pickups on this one, especially as I may still be using the amp that came with the £159 catalogue guitar.  Perhaps somewhere down the line, though.   

I'll see how it goes when it arrives, I have a few days to say yay or nay I believe.  My mate just won a decent amp in Karrang, and they've been giving him the run around with the delivery date for three weeks, but he said I could have it for half the RRP if it ever turns up.
  • Looks like a nice guitar. I love the wood finish. It will play fine out of the box i'd guess. Might benefit from some mods but it won't need any. Especially if you just got it to learn on.
  • I rang Guitar Guitar today to find out what was going on with my order.  Turns out the finance people (who usually OK these things within five minutes apparently) needed me to send in a photo ID and proof of address, despite the fact that I've been in the same job for ten years, haven't been in my overdraft during that time and haven't purchased anything else on credit since the turn of the millennium.  I thought it sounded like the guy on the phone was insinuating I was trying to pull a fast one when I said I've got no driver's license and I've never had an adult passport, so I ended up saying fuck it to the whole thing.  I can't drive and the last time I went abroad was on a school trip to Ypes - weirdos like me do exist, there's no need to sound like a dick about it if I'm trying to spend £580 in your store. 

I think I'll buy it from GAK instead, but just hold off for a couple of months and pay for it up front.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    This having no ID thing is odd. In most (or maybe just many) countries it's obligatory.
  • I never even thought twice about it until every employee needed to prove their eligibility to work in my office recently, and even then I had to order a birth certificate and hand a copy in with an old P60. I'm off the grid.
  • haven't been in my overdraft during that time and haven't purchased anything else on credit since the turn of the millennium.
    You will find that will actually lower your credit rating.

A high credit rating is gained by continually managing debt, so using overdrafts, credit cards and finance responsibly.

Right know the company who will be giving you credit has no idea how you will manage it.
  • You might want to consider giving the LPJ a miss altogether and looking for a used, gloss-finish Studio instead. They seem to be around the £600-£650 mark.
  • haven't been in my overdraft during that time and haven't purchased anything else on credit since the turn of the millennium.
    You will find that will actually lower your credit rating.

A high credit rating is gained by continually managing debt, so using overdrafts, credit cards and finance responsibly.

Right know the company who will be giving you credit has no idea how you will manage it.

Ah, that explains that then.

I'm not sure I like the gloss finish ones KRS - the dull, low-gloss finish is the first thing that attracted me to the no-frills LPJ. What I am going to do is what I should have done in the first place though - get myself back down to Denmark Street for a look around. There's a vintage burst edition of the LPJ I was looking at and it's impossible to tell from photos which one I prefer the look of, for example.

I was rushing into things and I'm going to take a step back, whilst continuing to learn on my lovely new acoustic.
  • I hate glossy guitars that look like they've never been touched personally.
  • For my current build, am looking into the finishing kit that Wudtone do. Seems to basically amount to a stain then a thin, Tru Oil-like sealing thing. Doesn't get too glossy and plays well with grain, comme ca:

7.jpg
  • Less good for flamey maples etc. You really want to avoid staining the actual wood there, else you lose all the movement in the figuring when the light hits. Seal that shit with a clear coat first.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Talking of guitars, i'm selling mine on eBay for a good price.

It is glossy and has been barely touched.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281102797160?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649
  • Some great free samples here. There's lots of stuff recorded from various drum machines and other hardware, often run through a tape machine.
  • A query for the helpful guitar people in here:

I went ahead and bought my Gibson LPJ, and it's even lovelier than I thought it would be.  I'm extremely happy with it, apart from one thing - fret buzz.  It's only really noticeable when my super cheap amp is quite loud, but there's a slight buzzing through the amp on the D string between the 4th and 6th frets, and also the low E string towards the 12th fret.  I have a habit of fixating on stuff like this, even though my girlfriend has been staring at me blankly as I try to make her admit she can hear it.  A Google search reveals the best course of action would be to take it to a shop to have it set up properly, but is it at all possible it's just being caused by my bottom-of-the-range amp?  Also, if it's not the amp, would it be prudent to request an exchange as I've only had it for four days, or is this likely to effect most guitars, to a certain extent, that haven't been professionally set-up?  One more: how much would a guitar shop set-up cost roughly?  Cheers.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Can you hear (or feel) the buzz when it's not plugged in? Can you find another amp somewhere to plug it into?

It's not unusual for a new guitar to need a bit of setting up. You could probably do it yourself with the allen keys you got with the guitar.

In other news, I appear to be popular in Columbia, for some reason.
  • Columbia or Colombia? Colombia's all about cows now.

Since it's only on specific strings it sounds more like it wants its fret levelling than a truss rod tweak.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'd give the old truss rod a quarter circle before doing a fret level. That and a look at the action and the bridge set up.
  • Kow wrote:
    Can you hear (or feel) the buzz when it's not plugged in? Can you find another amp somewhere to plug it into? It's not unusual for a new guitar to need a bit of setting up. You could probably do it yourself with the allen keys you got with the guitar. In other news, I appear to be popular in Columbia, for some reason.

I haven't seen an allen key.  Maybe they put it in the gigbag, I'll check.  There's actually a fair bit more buzzing going on when it's not plugged in, especially on the low E and A strings, not on open strings at all.

Edit: Truss rod is in the bag.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    No, truss rod is inside the neck.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Probably an allen key?

Anyway, some buzz is fairly normal, particularly when not plugged in. If it's very noticeable when it's plugged in then it might be a problem, if it's only slight then it might be normal. My strat buzzes quite a bit. professional luthiers tell me I'm just a pernickity bastard and I should leave it alone.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!