The B&B Musicians/Producers/DJs Thread
  • Kinda feeling those, keep at it.
  • Thanks, appreciate it. Will chuck a couple more up later.

While I'm here I have a small tech question if anyone can help. I have one of these. I don't use it for sequencing or anything, I just sometimes like chopping up a few samples and loading them on to play about with. Then if I wanted to record something I would record it live as an audio file into logic, or sometimes just recreate it in logic using the base samples.

I'm pretty sure theres a better way I could be doing this with midi but I don't know what it is. Is there a midi pad controller, basically like what I have, but plugs into usb and lets me drag samples into different pad banks and stuff, just to save me all the time i spend recording samples onto the sampler etc...and can I do all that within logic (express) or would I need separate software? Thanks
  • There are things like these (8 of the best apparently here). You can use samplers (does Logic Express have EXS24?) to drag samples in and play them back, but sometimes pads correspond to random notes or possibly not at all.

I think the best/simplest plugin for what you want is Battery.
    You just drag samples onto the cells onscreen, then assign them to keys/pads. You can also apply effects/compression/etc to individual samples.

I've used the previous version which was quite nice, but I can't afford it atm. There may be some reasonable free alternatives out there. Actually I wouldn't mind nabbing Battery off them interwebs, because it's really very nice to use for 1-shots. But I don't really do that often, perhaps I should visit the Dark Legend thread...
  • Finally (im impatient) got some vinyl decks.
    Got a pair of gemini pt2410s with the worlds shittest mixer for £145.

The decks are great, they are the first gen after the technics motor patent ran out and seem near identical.

Ordered a second hand Kam mixer which should be here next week so using my housemate's numark mixer for now.

Fuck me beat matching is a whole other beast on these, got a learning curve ahead of me but loving the challenge.

I have never really listened to music on vinyl before and im still not one for thinking it is the best sound but I am finding I am genuinely sitting and listening to LPs now rather than listening to half songs then skipping ahead.

Found some charity shop gems over the weekend. Got Scream by MJ and Robot Rock for a quid each along with a bunch of other stuff.

Went Rough Trade and picked up the new Roska one and the Red Astaire LP which is brilliant.
  • I'd still be using vinyl if it wasn't for the fact I'd need a storage unit or a new place if I bought any more records. I only stopped three years ago and I've never used CDJs. I went straight from vinyl to Ableton.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • I've gone Traktor to vinyl.

Traktor was fun for a bit but all that analyzing and that bollocks was annoying. If I went back to digital it would be ableton, I enjoyed the dabble I had on it.

Ultimately though I wanted to get away from any form of screen.
  • Discogs is your friend, the prices seems to have calmed down quite a bit. Tempted to start buying up loads of old pre-Drum n'Bass hardcore

• Yeah I have been browsing/drooling over discogs this week.

Picked up Wookie - Battle cos it is my favourite track ever. Bought a bulk load of garage off ebay too, really feeling garage right now, it is having a bit of a revival in south london and all the fit girls are on it like crack.
  • What do you mean when you say "you're not one for thinking vinyl sounds the best" ? You think digital sounds better than vinyl or you just don't hear any noticeable difference? What does sound the best to your ears? What are you wearing? Who is your favourite evil dictator?

WE NEED ANSWERS DAMMIT.
  • Haha.

Digtal and vinyl are different. I use either Rokit monitor speakers or HD25 mkiis for both.

Digital is crisp and clear, vinyl is smooth, warm and nice.
    I just wanted to seperate myself from the vinyl obsessive, because, while I like the warm sound it isnt necessarily better. Just depends what you are after.
  • Here's a mix of funky break beaty stuff my brother did (he's a DJ). If you like that sort of thing (I do):

http://www.mixcloud.com/djroblife/vinyl-veterans-april-2013-set/
  • There are things like these (8 of the best apparently here). You can use samplers (does Logic Express have EXS24?) to drag samples in and play them back, but sometimes pads correspond to random notes or possibly not at all. I think the best/simplest plugin for what you want is Battery. You just drag samples onto the cells onscreen, then assign them to keys/pads. You can also apply effects/compression/etc to individual samples. I've used the previous version which was quite nice, but I can't afford it atm. There may be some reasonable free alternatives out there. Actually I wouldn't mind nabbing Battery off them interwebs, because it's really very nice to use for 1-shots. But I don't really do that often, perhaps I should visit the Dark Legend thread...

Thanks for the info. Might take a punt on one of those cheap Korg Nano Pads. Can't go too wrong for £40. Had a look at some youtube guides to doing the Exs24 sampling which looks pretty straightforward. Should probably have worked this all out ages ago, it seems much easier.
  • I used to question the need for pads until I bought a Korg Pad Kontrol. I haven't drawn in drums since. Great fun for other samples too.
  • Wound a couple of P90s today. They even worked.
  • I used to question the need for pads until I bought a Korg Pad Kontrol. I haven't drawn in drums since. Great fun for other samples too.

Yeah, i find playing the pads live allows you to come up with patterns and stuff that you'd never have thought of just drawing stuff in. I guess that can work vice versa too though.

Just had a quick play around with loading some samples into the exs24. Mind blown. This is going to make life so much easier.
  • Derp - I'm an idiot, ignore. Bloody secondary volume switch isn't obvious.
  • Did another sampler-beats / synth / live guitar / spoken word thing. I reckon that's my sound now. I badly need a proper microphone, the low-fi quality of the vox is not intentional.

https://soundcloud.com/metascrawl/hotel-dome-a-sunrise

Also, my friend uploaded a very clever and amusing hip-hop track in the early hours of this morning that re-imagines Batman as a crack dealer and addict, working with his enemies to supply Gotham with cocaine. He told me a while a ago that he had a rap that started "in my manor Batman smokes crack" - I thought he was joking...

https://soundcloud.com/twopike/batman-echo-dub
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    I rebuilt the turntable i'd needlessly repaired. The 'repair' was successful thankfully!
    Was great seeing the old 1210 back in action. I felt all nostalgic.
    Now i just gotta patch up the phono lead on the other one before I can sell em.
  • Woodimari
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodimari
    PSN
    Woodimari
    Steam
    Woodimari

Send message
    My finance application got rejected so I just whacked £350 aside and the rest will come on payday. Bit hype for the SX!
  • Quick question about using EXS24 if anyone can help?

So I worked out roughly how to use it, load in samples set zones and all that crap.

What I want to do though, is have say 2 different tracks (on the main logic sequencer), each of which is reading a totally  different set of samples simultaneously.

So I can click on Track 1, start pressing keys and its playing my drum set for instance.
    Then click on Track 2 and start pressing the same keys and I'm now playing some piano samples.

Then if I were to record on both those tracks separately then play back,the drums and piano would be both be playing at the same time.

Whenever I've tried what I think will work, I end up writing over the samples I have already set for the other track. Like I can only have one exs24 for the project?

Does that make sense? Hard to explain! 
    Been fiddling loads and can't work out how to do this.
  • I'm a little confused as to what the problem is exactly, when you say samples do you mean MIDI notes within the MIDI regions on both tracks? If so then what I think is happening is you are recording on both tracks at once, with the same keyboard, and so therefore you would be overwriting whatever is already on one track as they use the same MIDI device.

You can definitely have multiple EXS24s in one project. I think you are experiencing the above but I wouldn't rule out some crazy glitch/behavior, personally I'm not a big fan of Logic but I've used it a fair bit.
  • Thanks, sorry think I explained it pretty badly. 

When I'm talking about the samples, I didn't mean recorded midi notes, but the samples on the keys.

Essentially I think I just want a different Exs24 set to each track, each with it's own bank of samples, so that when I select a track i'm then playing that track's set of samples.

That's what I couldn't work out though. As when I thought I was creating a new bank of samples on a new exs24, I was actually just changing the samples on one exs24 that was being read by multiple tracks.
  • Weird. Did you get it sorted? Or is it still playing up?
    weadre wrote:
    Essentially I think I just want a different Exs24 set to each track, each with it's own bank of samples, so that when I select a track i'm then playing that track's set of samples.

Yeah you should definitely be able to do that.
  • Woodimari
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodimari
    PSN
    Woodimari
    Steam
    Woodimari

Send message
    Got my deposit down on my DDJ-SX now, will be picking it up on Wednesday. Seriously can not wait!

Anyone recommend some decent cheap speakers? With the amount of money going out next week I'm on a bit of a budget. The guy in the shop said he's got a deal on some decent speakers for £150 that were £220 but I can't for the life of me remember what they were.
  • Currently playing with a Boss DM-100 analogue delay unit and contact mics that I've borrowed off a tutor. I've got my kalimba hooked up to it via the mics and be jammin. Deep joy.
  • I want a good chorus pedal.
  • Woodi there's no such thing as decent cheap speakers.
  • There are, but I call them headphones.
  • Woodimari
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodimari
    PSN
    Woodimari
    Steam
    Woodimari

Send message
    I'm going for the M-Audio BX5 D2. £150 plus I'm gonna use them for my PC speakers too. The guy in the shop wanted me to spend £135 per speaker which I just can't afford.

They seem like very decent speakers for the price.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!