Spider-Man
  • monkey wrote:
    Im not a deep expert on Spiddermon so anyone feel free to comicbook guy me. 

However I think a lot of the villains tend to stem from a handful of sources. Most of them are goons given some sort of tech. That tech comes from Kingpin, Oscorp or Dr Octopus. Or its symbiote stuff. Or one of those sources gather the teams together like the Sinister Six or Venom gets on a criminal and makes Carnage. 

Its all kind of linked.
    WRONG! 
    They've pretty much all got independent origins. Guy invents something and robs a bank. Lab experiment goes wrong so another guy robs a bank. Guy gets zapped by something and robs a bank. They team up and stuff but it's basically coincidence that all these dicks share the same zip code. 

They do do that thing you describe but it's not how any of the big baddies came about.

The Chameleon - From Russia, probably Voldograd. Initially just an impressionist with a multi pocket disguise vest, we were introduce to him impersonating Spider-Man to steal some missile defence plans to sell behind the Iron Curtain. He is foiled when Spidey webs shut the submarine so the commies can't get out. Is the half brother of Kraven the Hunter.

Chameleon.png

The Vulture - From Staten Island, New York. Was an inventor whos partner ripped him off at the wrong time, just as he'd invented a harness allowing him to fly. Side note, Spidey managed to defeat him by guessing how he was able to fly, which is mental, and played off as nothing in a single panel.

Vulture.png

The (Terrible) Tinkerer - From New York. Genius scientist and engineer. I'm baffled by his origins. He appears with some aliens, implanting electronic spy devices in radios belonging to important earthlings. His words, not mine. Spidey foils the plan, and all the aliens bar Tinkerer run off, and we see them blast off in their ship, declaring they can never return. Spidey pulls a mask off Tinkerer (of Tinkerers own face) battling him during a burning building. This suggests Tinkerer is also an alien. Early Spider-Man was fucking wild. This is retconned decades later to be Mysterio and hired goons dressed as aliens, but this is absolutely not what is presented in the original comic. He should be an alien, but he's not.

Tinkerer.png

Doctor Octopus - From Schenectady, New York. An atomic scientist, he made his famous arms to allow him to conduct nuclear experiments from behind a lead shield. An experiment goes wrong and blows up the entire facility, and causes the arms to fuse to his body. Unfortunately it also damages his brain, making him severely paranoid, thinking the hospital staff are jealous of him and keeping him prisoner. He is the first villain to defeat Spider-Man.

Doc-Ock.png

The Sandman -  From Queens, New York. Sticking with the atomic theme, The Sandman was an escaped convict who hid in an 'atomic devices testing centre', until 'a nuclear test explosion caught him unawares'. Spider-Man defeats him with, and I'm not joking, a hoover.

Sandman.png

Doctor Doom - From Latveria. It's Doctor Doom lads.

Doom.png

The Lizard - From Coral Gables, Florida. After losing his arm in 'the war', Curtis Connors becomes the worlds leading authorities on reptiles, as you do. After successfully getting a rabbit to regrow a leg, he downs the serum himself and becomes The Lizard. Jameson challenges Spider-Man to defeat the Lizard, so Peter tricks Jameson to sending him to Florida to take pictures of Spider-Mans attempt. Spidey manages to craft an antidote in a matter of hours, returning Connors to human form.

Lizard.png

The Living Brain - I mean it's a computer that short circuits. It's not really from anywhere, but it was built by the International Computing Machines Corporation, the IBM we've got at home, and IBM are based in New York if that will do you.

Living-Brain.png

Electro - From Endicott, New York. The very same place IBM were founded. Coincidence? Once an ordinary electric lineman, in a million to one chance he was working alone on a pole when lightning struck! By a fantastic freak of fate - due to the way he had been grasping the electric wires - the two bolts of current cancelled each other out. Discovered his powers when some clothes hangers got tangled on his arms. Spidey defeats him with Marigolds and a fire hose.

Electro.png

The Enforcers - Who is the Big Man??????????? asks the opening page. It's Frederick Foswell. Who you might ask? No idea. He's introduced for the first time halfway through the story. Spider-Man doesn't even beat him. The police follow his car and find his disguise. He's from Queens, New York. His goons are Montana, from erm, Montana, Fancy Dan, from Brooklyn, and The Ox from Seaside Heights, New Jersey.

Enforcers.png

This concludes our whistle stop tour of the amazing foes of Spider-Man from the first ten issues.
  • Good stuff.  

Can't get enough of this game at the mo, it's miles better than the last one imo.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Tremendous post, Dante
  • I thought the Predator crew were invented for this game (or possibly for recent comics/graphic novels, rather than ye olde Spidey).  Kraven is a legit villain.
  • Sandman.png
    I've still got sand on the carpeting in my car that no amount of hoovering will pick up. Totally unrealistic imo.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I thought the Predator crew were invented for this game (or possibly for recent comics/graphic novels, rather than ye olde Spidey).  Kraven is a legit villain.

I've not played it yet so I don't know who the Predator crew are, but the newest character I know of in the game is Yuri Wanatabe/Wraith, who first appeared in 2009. The rest are 90's and before AFAIK.
  • Kraven(off) the Hunter and his cronies. I've seen most of the Spiderman films but I don't remember spotting him in any of those so assumed he was new. Decent bigbad imo.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I thought the Predator crew were invented for this game (or possibly for recent comics/graphic novels, rather than ye olde Spidey).  Kraven is a legit villain.

I've not played it yet so I don't know who the Predator crew are, but the newest character I know of in the game is Yuri Wanatabe/Wraith, who first appeared in 2009. The rest are 90's and before AFAIK.
    Miles Morales was created in 2011.
    BsXkMQT.jpeg
  • That goes without saying.

Kraven is from issue 15, so very much olde school.
  • Yeah, I remember Kraven from the 90s cartoon.
  • Same.  I also had a Spider-Man annual from the 80s I think where he and Vuture in particular were the focus.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Spidey had just got to a Halloween party on my game. Sus.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Spidey had just got to a Halloween party on my game. Sus.
    I’ve just done the same part.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Must be near-ish the end of Spidey 2. A few annoyances but it's mostly very good. Muzzy is Talos'd up for the foreseeable so if someone wants to borrow it then send it on to him in a month or three that works.
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    I’ve just done the mission that was in the 12 minute gameplay reveal a few months ago…..eye popping!!!!

Absolutely loving this game!!

I really don’t want it to end, so I’m doing a load of the side missions between main missions.

It’s simply sublime!
  • I’m trying to fly thru Spidey 1, really enjoying it but most of the side missions weren’t great and the added shit that gets thrown at you and put on the map is annoying.

Just did the poison mission, that was shit, tried to do a variant of the Scarecrow levels from Batman. Another things that’s shit are the instant fail stealth missions with Miles and MJ.

Does Spiderman 2 have loads of icons thrown at you to pad the game out as well?
  • It’s a fairly standard open world AAA-er so, though I haven’t started it yet, I’m going to guess at ofc.
  • It does, but I ignored 85% of them so they're pretty much irrelevant.  I didn't feel underpowered by the end of the game either, even though the rewards for side missions can be used to upgrade various things.   Campaign finished on 62% according to the menu, so that's a fair chunk of optional stuff out there.  You can almost always just head for the yellow story markers though, and on the rare occasions you can't one will pop up within a minute or two of swinging about. 

It does have some iffy MJ stealth bits but they're infrequent and not as bad as they threatened to be.
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    The extras on the map kinda grow as the game progresses, so it's not a massive mess of icons to start off with.

Also, the missions can be seen as virtual beacons in the real world which float above their start locations and it looks really cool.
  • Well that’s the first one down and really enjoyed it, dunno whether to do some side missions or wait till the sequel is a bit cheaper.

If I do some side mission’s, I might over do it. Are there any decent side missions in Spiderman 1?
  • Spidey1 was the first of 2 games I’ve ever Plat’ed. none of it felt like too much to me and I was more or less happy to keep going to clear all those icons BUT I don’t remember any stand out side missions. I don’t remember any of it as particularly critical or standout fun so you won’t be missing anything by leaving it there.
  • The DLC for the first game is good. The Black Cat, and Silver Sable stuff.
  • Just had my first crash, maybe 10 hours into the game. Enjoying it a lot so far though.
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    The quality of the DLC is great and all are well worth buying.
  • Anyone else have a cut scene where the character voices are missing? I closed and restarted the game but no luck.
  • No but I did have one where the dialogue wasn't even remotely close to the timings on the subtitles.
  • Ah that’s happened a heck of a lot. 

Voices back, I just rebooted.
  • I think I associate Sony first party stuff almost entirely with ND levels of finish and polish when the reality is they’re all a step below the big boys and I can’t help feeling I should have tempered my expectations before starting this stuff.
    Some of the npcs in this don’t look far off those Starfield memes.
  • He looks like he should be waiting by a lift wearing a lab coat in the aborted Dreamcast Half-Life port.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!