SNES mini
  • nick_md wrote:
    There's a lot of depth.

hahahahahahahahaha, cheers man needed that

Oi!
  • Street Racer on SNES was poor man's Mario kart. Except it had the 4-player mode so we still got decent mileage out of it.
  • It had a ridiculous 8 player mode too.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    You never tried 16 player mode then
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • 32 player system link was the best though.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • No, 6 billion player mode on the Dreamcast was the best.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    64 x 10^256 player multi-universe mode was surely better
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Unlikely wrote:
    No, 6 billion player mode on the Dreamcast was the best.

Not when the lobby was full and you got shunted into spectator mode.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Anyone ever play DC Chu Chu Rocket online? I heard there was deliberate lag built into the game to give a level playing field.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    No but even solo it was a nice little game. Surprised its never made PSN/XBL really.
  • davyK wrote:
    Anyone ever play DC Chu Chu Rocket online? I heard there was deliberate lag built into the game to give a level playing field.

It had lag in single player.  Having booted up SNES next is my DC.  I suspect that might need some pin bending but once it's working I'm going to have a go at Chu Chu.
  • davyK wrote:

I did, briefly.  I found the lag irritating tbh, so I went straight back to Quake III.  I suppose level playing field makes sense, but at the time I just wondered why it took a split second to drop a tile on a 2D grid display when I could quad-damage someone's face off with a railgun on a snazzier game.   Much like anything else I suppose I could've/would've got used to it, but a split second is a long time if you've got a cat steaming toward your base.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It has local multiplayer too doesn't it? Can't remember now - think it does. There's a nice solo puzzle mode too. Must boot it up and see.
  • Anyone played pop n twinbee?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Not for years, but a bit. Was okay.
  • I have, decent game. One of the better SNES shoot 'em ups imo.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Punch mechanic was pretty natty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There was the Pop n Twinbee shmup on SNES which was a rather nice game. Has some good co-op features for 2 player - you can grab your opponent and throw him around the screen which clears enemies. You can also transfer energy between players.

There's a platformer also on SNES called Pop n Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventures which is very good - 3 different characters and each level has a par time to try and beat. Levels get pretty big and it's a find the exit style of game. Has a 2 player split screen battle mode too.

Sega Saturn has a Pop n Twinbee game which is two shooters on 1 disc. Have never played it though.
  • DC booted up earlier this morning and I played first level of Chu Chu.  I didn't notice any lag but I do remember it not recognising key presses in the past so it might be when things get more hectic.

Cracking game though.
  • Damn you, Davy, that Rainbow Bell Adventures sounds like something I need t try. Do you realise how much of a hassle it is for me to play new SNES games at the moment? A small, but not insignificant one, that's how much.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    Damn you, Davy, that Rainbow Bell Adventures sounds like something I need t try. Do you realise how much of a hassle it is for me to play new SNES games at the moment? A small, but not insignificant one, that's how much.

:)

Konami really hit a peak on the SNES at that time - and this game is typical of the quality they put out then. Super Play raved about it. It's very pastelly but it's an incredibly well crafted game. It got an outing at this year's AGDQ. But those guys make games look so easy it's maybe not the best thing to watch until you've played it.

I had the PAL version and it's a bit different from the J-NTSC version. The overworld map is just a linear spiral path in PAL. The J-NTSC map branches with some levels having more than 1 exit - so it's probably the better version to be honest. Not sure if the PAL version has the multi-exits - I played this back in the 90s so don't remember.
  • Unless it was originally developed for the format, I try not to play PAL versions anyway, so I'll check if the US version (assuming it had a release there) is stripped back from the Japanese one at all before I download one. Thanks for the heads up.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    This is wisdom.  :)

I don't think it got a US release so it will probably be the J-NTSC version for you.
  • Aye, I don't do retro gaming much but, when I do, I do it as properly as you can without buying specific hardware. Well, except the fact I actually like and use some of the filters emulators provide for doing fancy upscaling.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I love my retro but I'm not averse to making the most of it using modern tech. Not one who would get worked up over scanlines etc.
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    DC booted up earlier this morning and I played first level of Chu Chu.  I didn't notice any lag but I do remember it not recognising key presses in the past so it might be when things get more hectic. Cracking game though.

Just had another go and there can be single player lag when moving the cursor with the dpad, not placing the arrow tiles.
  • Added Chrono Trigger, AllStars, Gradius, R-Type, Cybernator, Axelay and more... it even added the box art for most of them.

Hail the uber-nerd that made this possible, and painless - usually I'm a magnet for bugs, regardless of their rarity.

Feels more like the 90s Snes I had (that mysteriously vanished!) now.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Do we have a NES Mini thread? Well anyway, they're finally doing a rerun. £49.99, so rather cheaper than eg eBay had been. End June. Argos and Game.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I like my SNES mini, and £49.99 for a NES mini is entirely reasonable, but bugger me sideways I don't need another device under my telly. Virtual Console for Switch, plz.

I have wondered how well the minis would work plugged into one of those phone charger battery packs and a 7" HDMI Raspberry Pi screen.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!