Middle Age
  • Can't be bothered with hangovers these days, not enough fun being drunk to get punished so i'm all about getting merry whilst remaining cogent enough to say no
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm of the same mind - but every so often one's concentration slips...

I'm still wearing the internal balaclava I woke up with yesterday.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    I now have hangovers that last 2 days.
    Had one the other week that lasted four days.

FML

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Can't be bothered with hangovers these days, not enough fun being drunk to get punished so i'm all about getting merry whilst remaining cogent enough to say no

Same, it used to be 4 pints when I thought I was just getting started, now I'm thinking that's probably one too many, time for bed.
  • I've always been slim, without doing anything to maintain it.

Couple weeks ago though, while walking through a shopping centre with the mrs, i felt my belly jiggling. Fuck, I'm getting a paunch.

Not having that. Fuck a gym though, surrounded by people that know what they're doing. And I don't particularly want to bulk up, just shift the belly that's starting and improve my general fitness. I've decided to start running (well, probably closer to sporadic jogging in between coughing my lungs up), even went and bought a pair of trainers yesterday just for that purpose.

What else are you meant to wear while exercising? Particularly if you're 6 foot 4 and built like the gable end of a fiver? Struggled to find tracksuit bottoms that go all the way down to my feet, or am i meant to wear those spandex tights?

This is it. Beginning of the midlife crisis.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Spandex tights are good for running as they don't chafe. You have to get over the looking like a prick part, though.
  • Kow wrote:
    Spandex tights are good for running as they don't chafe. You have to get over the looking like a prick part, though.

Think that's probably gonna be the hardest part. I've got one of those under armour long sleeve t shirt things. Look a complete dobber in it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You'll always be a look at that cunt running anyway, so it doesn't really matter what you wear. You should probably just revel in it. Wear an iphone on your arm and run on the road to obstruct traffic.
  • Meh. You are better off going to the gym and doing an all body weight routine 2-3 times a week.
    You'll get rid of the paunch and gain a bit of strength here and there on top.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Hit up Lester at https://fierceedge.com/

He's making some cracking running and sports gear, also really good quality. An old gym mate picked up a shirt and he loved it
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Ooh I like his bounty Hunter compression top but don't know if I have the stones to wear it in the gym.
  • Kow wrote:
    You'll always be a look at that cunt running anyway, so it doesn't really matter what you wear. You should probably just revel in it. Wear an iphone on your arm and run on the road to obstruct traffic.

I was after an armband, but my phone was too big for the ones they had in the shop. I'll have a look at that website on my lunch, cheers.
    pantyfire wrote:
    Meh. You are better off going to the gym and doing an all body weight routine 2-3 times a week.
    You'll get rid of the paunch and gain a bit of strength here and there on top.

I'm gonna get back into swimming, swam at national competition level when i was in my teens and i enjoy it as well. Gym membership is on the cards, the mrs works for the local council, so she can get discounted membership for us. Want to shift the belly first though. And it's more fitness than strength im after. Was part of the reason i quit smoking.
  • I was in a similar position to Baws, was always rake thin with no care given for what I put in my body. The paunch started to develop a couple of years back, early 30s. Got pretty out of proportion 6 odd months ago, still a thin guy but this belly. People would look surprised when I said I had fat to lose, to everyone else I was this skinny guy. It's all about proportion though - I was skinny everywhere apart from the gut.

I lost a stone over the last 6 weeks though (12.5 to 11.5) with no exercise at all, just my own personal new age, refined regime of no breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, then drink and marijuana for dinner.

Joking aside, I know it's not at all healthy and I'll likely put the weight right back on once I get my shit sorted; at the moment though my appetite has plummeted and I find it difficult to eat large meals at times. I think panty has it right, some general exercise along with some strength training is meant to be the best way to burn fat down, I think.
  • If you are after the cardio then yeh run.
    If you want to lose weight you get a double whammy from the weights, calories burned and muscle gained.

For me I went swimming and barely lost any weight because the better I got at swimming the less energy I used.
  • nick_md wrote:
    I was in a similar position to Baws, was always rake thin with no care given for what I put in my body. The paunch started to develop a couple of years back, early 30s. Got pretty out of proportion 6 odd months ago, still a thin guy but this belly. People would look surprised when I said I had fat to lose, to everyone else I was this skinny guy. It's all about proportion though - I was skinny everywhere apart from the gut.

I lost a stone over the last 6 weeks though (12.5 to 11.5) with no exercise at all, just my own personal new age, refined regime of no breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, then drink and marijuana for dinner.

Joking aside, I know it's not at all healthy and I'll likely put the weight right back on once I get my shit sorted; at the moment though my appetite has plummeted and I find it difficult to eat large meals at times. I think panty has it right, some general exercise along with some strength training is meant to be the best way to burn fat down, I think.

This. I mention i want to lose weight then i get all the 'fuck off, you're built like a racing snake' etc, then it becomes a competition to see who's actually the fattest and i should just shut up.

Especially with preggatron......
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Hit up Lester at https://fierceedge.com/

He's making some cracking running and sports gear, also really good quality. An old gym mate picked up a shirt and he loved it

Had a look. Looks good and all that, but if i were to wear that round my way while out running I'd spend most of the run avoiding flying buckfast bottles.......
  • Extra cardio and free Buckfast. Win.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    HBJ, can't you just wear shorts.  Hot pants maybe?
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I'm not stocking your wank bank for you. Don't want an angry Spanish bird phoning my house.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    HawBawJaws wrote:
    I was after an armband, but my phone was too big for the ones they had in the shop.

Just do this...
  • HawBawJawsI've decided to start running (well, probably closer to sporadic jogging in between coughing my lungs up), even went and bought a pair of trainers yesterday just for that purpose. What else are you meant to wear while exercising? Particularly if you're 6 foot 4 and built like the gable end of a fiver? Struggled to find tracksuit bottoms that go all the way down to my feet, or am i meant to wear those spandex tights? This is it. Beginning of the midlife crisis.

I decided mid-holiday that I needed to get back on the fitness trail and challenged myself to run every day for a year. Currently 28 days in a row and 90 miles later and it's got easier and I feel much better. Having run a fair bit in the past, it all does come down to what feels best for you and you'll only find out through a bit of trial and error. A few tips below, not all will be relevant or applicable to your situation but hopefully you'll get some benefit. 

1. Far less likely to get blisters with decent socks. Hilly are the best bet for a fairly casual runner. Two pairs of these for a tenner. 
    L8t7eKB.jpg

2. Running tights are very hit and miss and a lot of people find them uncomfortable. If you're just starting out, just get a cheap pair of compression shorts and wear them under shorts you already have (footie shorts, etc.) These are fine and are only £12. 
    LadtFta.jpg

3. Runners nipple is truly awful. Just look at this poor chap. 
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • Some good tips (and bloody nips) there mate, thanks. Going for my first swim in years on Friday, be interesting to see how far I can push myself there. Can't find the goggles i used to wear anywhere though.
  • Right, bought myself some sondeco compression shorts, and looser ones for over the top of them. Found an armband that'll fit my phone on Amazon, also found some Swedish style goggles for t'swimming. And bought one of those poncey arsed water bottles with a fruit defuser in it. Plan is to drastically reduce daily energy juice intake and increase water intake.

If I'm working a close shift (like tonight) I'll exercise in the house before i leave, push ups, sit ups etc. She's got herself a yoga ball from pregnancy exercises, i might give it a bash. If I'm a dayshift, I'll go for a run or really long walk after work. Day off, swimming.

Got a Marin mountain bike in a shed at my old dears gaff, I'll look into getting that refurbished (bearings, brakes, cables etc) and going out on it.

I'm not gonna enjoy it i don't think, but fuckit, has to be done.
  • well, you could just get fat and do middle age properly! ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    HawBawJaws wrote:
    Got a Marin mountain bike in a shed at my old dears gaff, I'll look into getting that refurbished (bearings, brakes, cables etc) and going out on it. I'm not gonna enjoy it i don't think, but fuckit, has to be done.

If you're not actually going out on trails, then make sure you buy some road tyres, they'll make everything much easier. I stopped riding my hartdtail to work because it was a faff changing tyres to go downhilling, and such hard work riding knobblies to work
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Have one of each on, sorted!
  • Aye, it'd be mainly off road. There's plenty trails near my house, round chatelherault country park/Strathclyde park.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Cycling up hills has built up my quads more than running ever has, but after a period of cycling in place of running, I lost a lot of my running fitness. Also, my lower legs weren't used to running after cycling. A bit of both seems to be the best idea, saving your knees as much as possible, but keeping your running hand in so that you don't lose your cardio for it.

But then it depends on where you're riding, 'cause cycling's a great cardio workout on the right terrain. But I live in a hilly area, so it's hard on my legs and not so much on my lungs. You need to ride at a sustained pace to get the most out of it.
  • If you regularly do stuff, you won’t be a fat bastard.

Here, this fitness coaching lark is easy. I should write a book.
  • It's the classic Viz advert: The Less Cake More Exercise diet!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!