This is 10000000% not the goty thread.
  • Yakuza 0
    Breath of the Wild
    Snipperclips
    Polybius
    Puyo Puyo Tetris

Assuming Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is ineligible.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Yossarian wrote:

I expect Shadow of War will take this for me, but we'll see.

My man.
    It's the only game I'm looking forward to on any platform.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Tempy wrote:
    It's not your best Cint
    To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy’s resistance without fighting.
  • [extremely kojima trailer reading]but i'm still resisting[/extremely kojima trailer reading]
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I don't see why someone's GotY should have to be a game released that year. If I've spent months enjoying a game that came out two years ago, why shouldn't I be able to choose it?

I've always thought this argument is silly, but I don't see the issue with games that came out on a new platform that year.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    I don't really care if a game is new or not, I don't see why someone's GotY should have to be a game released that year. If JimI've spent months enjoying a game that came out two years ago, why shouldn't I be able to choose it?

It makes even less sense these days when games can change so much post-release due to updates and patches.

Isn't the "o" from GotY "of" as in "made in"?

I mean we can have a "G" thread or a "GpitY" but they are different thibgs. One useful output is focusing on recent games people might have missed. Or for fun arguments about which is the best year.

Anyway, I vote this is the voting thread.

Yeah, I get that, but I doubt that the top games in any list would change if we weren't so strict around release dates, plus we could still have those chats about a wider range of games that we might have missed.

I just end up never voting in these things because of the restrictions.
  • Tempy wrote:
    [extremely kojima trailer reading]but i'm still resisting[/extremely kojima trailer reading]

Sure you are, Locutus.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I don't see why someone's GotY should have to be a game released that year. If I've spent months enjoying a game that came out two years ago, why shouldn't I be able to choose it?

I've always thought this argument is silly, but I don't see the issue with games that came out on a new platform that year.

Elf does. But yeah, I just prefer the more personal take on it. I buy very few games in the year they were released, therefore I tend to be shut out of the threads.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Destiny 2 and new CoDs tend to be new games built from the ground up.
    CoD is still using the quake 3 engine. And if youre going to call splatoon 2 a dx version, I hate to think what that makes halo 2 and 3.
    Game engines are a pointless argument, since when the tools used to create something define the thing that was created with them beyond the broadest categorisations?

In games about shooting in a military environment, it's certainly symptomatic of copy-paste game design.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Elf does. But yeah, I just prefer the more personal take on it. I buy very few games in the year they were released, therefore I tend to be shut out of the threads.
    If you don't find that thread relevant to you then start another. Think we've had a 'best game you've played this year' in the past. You're not 'shut out' though, come on.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    FIFA and Madden have never troubled our lists. Destiny 2 and new CoDs tend to be new games built from the ground up. I dunno, personally I think the rules are too restrictive anyway. Far too many games I've loved that I've been unable to vote for due to this. FtL, for instance, all because I had to wait to play it on my iPad. *sigh*

Just on this, I now propose we vote prospectively the following year.

For example, if we were to run the 2014 GOTY thread we should be able to include games like Fifa 2018, Yakuza 0, Destiny 2 and The Last Guardian.

I dont see why we should have to limit it to games that are already released when we could include games that aren't even announced instead.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    If you don't find that thread relevant to you then start another. Think we've had a 'best game you've played this year' in the past. You're not 'shut out' though, come on.

I'm not overly bothered by it, and certainly not to the point where I can be arsed creating a new thread and pissing about with spreadsheets.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Maybe we should have a rival GotY thread. One man (or lady), one vote. Vote for the game you have enjoyed playing most this year, the only rule being that it must be a video game.
  • There's also the fifty two games you've played this year thread.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    what ya all doin fuck's sake

Zelda
    Golf Club 2
    Prey
    Resi 7

Fuck the rest of things
  • I think I have only played 2 games of 2017.

Zelda will be top of my list.
    Just sinking my teeth into Mass Effect at the moment. It is better than the first impression it gives.
  • There's no set of rules for this that doesn't create weird inclusions and exclusions. The ones we have are sensible enough.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Nothing weird about any inclusion if you're just voting for the games you enjoyed most over the year regardless of release date.
  • That would be weird if you wanted to establish what people thought was the best game released within one calendar year though.

Just have two threads. I'd join in and just pick Rocket League every year.
  • The winner of your thing would probably just be which retro game has more than one person played this year. Or the previous years game of the year.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    That would be weird if you wanted to establish what people thought was the best game released within one calendar year though.

Just have two threads. I'd join in and just pick Rocket League every year.

Not really, the info would still be there, you could just ignore any games on the list that were released in an earlier calendar year.
  • But those games would take the place and points off games from the current year.

It would be a strange set up if game of the year was new games from that year plus games from the entire history of games that people happened to play within the same 12 month period as the new batch of games.

Anyway, I'm happy with whatever rules the guy doing all the work decides upon.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Meh, I'm just musing now, but I do think it would be fascinating. If Rocket Dog won two or three years in a row, we'd see it has legs, that it still has an active community, that it's still worth getting into even after all this time.

What about games that didn't do so well in the rankings in the year they were released owing to having been released on a single console in one year and then a wider release the next, or it ending up being a sleeper hit? These games could gain wider recognition. We could look back at a particular year and realise that the game that won would actually have been beaten had everyone played this other game at release, or games which came second or third were gaining so many new fans over the years that they were probably the better game in the first place.

As I say, I can't be arsed to actually do anything about this, but the results it would throw up would be hugely interesting to me at least.
  • Just make a thread and rope Muzzy in to do a spreadsheet
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    But those games would take the place and points off games from the current year. It would be a strange set up if game of the year was new games from that year plus games from the entire history of games that people happened to play within the same 12 month period as the new batch of games. Anyway, I'm happy with whatever rules the guy doing all the work decides upon.
    Easy enough to just up the number of entries and final list to 10 to make space for older games.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Just make a thread and rope Muzzy in to do a spreadsheet
    I think Muzzy should have to do one with the traditional rules so he has to keep reading about all of the games that he isn't allowed to play.
  • Do it, it might be better, who knows.
  • We need a ruling on MK8 and Splatoon. And every game with a year in the title.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Meh, I'm just musing now, but I do think it would be fascinating. If Rocket Dog won two or three years in a row, we'd see it has legs, that it still has an active community, that it's still worth getting into even after all this time. What about games that didn't do so well in the rankings in the year they were released owing to having been released on a single console in one year and then a wider release the next, or it ending up being a sleeper hit? These games could gain wider recognition. We could look back at a particular year and realise that the game that won would actually have been beaten had everyone played this other game at release, or games which came second or third were gaining so many new fans over the years that they were probably the better game in the first place. As I say, I can't be arsed to actually do anything about this, but the results it would throw up would be hugely interesting to me at least.
    Easiest thing is probably to resurrect threads from previous years and see if anyone has anything new to say.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!