All your Homebase are belong to... you! / The House 'n' Home Thread.
  • Kow wrote:
    You have a nice wall, why ruin it with a hedge? Hedges are to make boundaries, and you already have one. Put a few nice little shrubs and trees.

Good point. Something to consider.
  • @uncle, what would you do with the space as per my pic, previous page and what would you plant (forgetting about hedges). It would be remiss of me not to take some advice from a expert.
  • Anyone know what plant this is? It had grown quite tall in our garden. Had a lovely violet/purple colour to it. Unfortunately it had to come down but i wouldnt be against getting another to grow.

20200515-123836.jpg
  • It’s a Ceanothus but what exact variety I couldn’t say.

Re your garden.
    People always presume they want loads of space and they’ll get that by shoving everything to the edge and then having a big square of nothingness (grass usually) in the middle. This makes the space look smaller, feel grimmer and doesn’t allow plants space to grow so then everyone presumes their garden is overgrown/takes too much looking after. Young families are worst for this - they usually want little Johnny/Eleanor to have a massive rusting trampoline, some plastic goalposts, a shit looking Wendy house and then wonder why the grass is dead and the back of the house currently looks like the yard at Wakefield prison (which, incidentally is where the nursery rhyme of round and round the mulberry bush comes from). Add a bit of shape or depth to the borders. Layer plants, tall and heavier to the back, lighter and lower to the front. Read the labels for these plants. Don’t presume you want everything evergreen. Don’t buy loads of conifers as these are the shit.

There’s loads of plant and border lists on the Rhs website for different types of gardens most give an idea of size or scale and how far to plant apart etc. Have a look on there and chose what suits your space most and what you’re looking for. It’ll be a start and give you a bit of an idea what you could have.

Failing that you could of course get experts in to do the work (both design and manual) but that obviously comes with costs that you may not want to throw at the garden.
  • Thanks @uncle, I'll have a look at rhs website. If missus insists on hedging then will probably go with the portuguese laurel. If i can talk her out of it will have a look at layering it. Would be a nice excuse to get out of the house and visit garden centres if not for covid.
  • Anyone got any recommendations for garden furniture websites? We do like the following. Want to get a few eyars out of it so would.be nice if it lasted a few summers.

https://www.alicesgarden.co.uk/product/5-seater-rattan-garden-sofa-set-black-grey

£459. Poly rattan L shaped sofa and coffee table. Obviously will need storage box for cushions, cover for furniture and a parasol. Blimey it all adds up.
  • "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Dear santa for xmas can i have a cordless chainsaw? Thought id try to trim the bushes at the front of the house with my hedge trimmer. Nah, chainsaw would cut the work down loads. Then a flamthrower to to burn the mountainful of cut green and brown stuff. Im knackered
  • So started taking out the roots from around the edge of the garden space its 0.80m x 9.5m. Started one one side working my way across makimg progress then hit the mother fucker of the roots of a hedge. Not matter how many roots you cut the main stump wouldnt move. Now i have two bigger ones (stumps) that will need a stump grinder to get rid of. But this particular bastard isnt that big. Anyway got pissed off, got the axes out and started hacking the stump to dead. Making progress but in this heat its hard.

I think one of the steel chiesel poles would help but i dont have one typical.
  • I've been doing some gardening too. Well, I say I have, I've started paying a bloke to come sort it out. I hadn't touched anything out in mine since this time last year, so it was like deepest Nam out there. He came round last week and got half of it chopped and sorted for £40, which I thought was a bargain (it really was horrendously overgrown). Sat out in it now in a camping chair with a couple of cans, lovely.

Still need to fix the retaining wall at the back mind, although I'm thinking now of just having the end of the garden stepped/sloped down by a landscaper, rather than rebuild the retaining wall, which will only collapse again at some point in the future.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Also gardening. Trying to fight back the revenge of the ivy. Found a new nest with little baby finches so that's an excuse to take a break for while. Gardens are all very nice in theory, but the reality is a pain in the arse.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Also it's 32 degrees so fuck that.
  • Woo hoo the shrub root of hell is out. I have a long way to go. This will take a few weekends. Gardening is tiring. @uncle must have muscles like arnie. Its knackering work.

Also, kow i agree. Nice in theory pain in the arse in reality, unless your loaded and have your own gardener.
  • nick_md wrote:
    He came round last week and got half of it chopped and sorted for £40, which I thought was a bargain
  • Built this today. I'm fucked.

IMG-20200530-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20200530-WA0025.jpg

IMG-20200530-WA0029.jpg

• Good effort there.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Nice work chalice. Gonna put some decking oil stuff on it?
  • Nah I reckon it'll be good for a while yet it's already tanalised. Might be worth a coat for the hell of it though...

I'm sat here on the deck now looking out at the rest of the garden and the list of stuff that needs doing is enormous. I can honestly see myself getting into gardening shock horror fuck me this isn't what a mid life crisis is supposed to be is it??

Mud life crisis.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Nice, I can;t help imagine you're standing in the same spot but have boxed your trainers in somehow
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • hahaha
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Just rotivated about 150sqm of bone dry soil. My hands!.
  • It's amazing how much you can blow in a garden centre hey. I haven't even begun yet and I'm two grand in lol. A couple of trellis screens and it all goes out the window...
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Just rotivated about 150sqm of bone dry soil. My hands!.

Couldn’t you have used a tool or machine and saved your hands the effort?
  • Yeah but if he is paying them anyway they may as well work for it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    @uncle What can I do with this thing? It's a lime tree. Obviously the branches are dead, so should I cut them off? I thought it was completely dead until it sprouted at the bottom. Or is it just a goner and I should bin it?
    uxmYyuM.jpg
  • Cut the dead branchs off and let it grow again
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I don't think the two plants are the same plant, just in case I "think" if you cut that much off, then wax the vutting point so it doesn;t just keep pushing nutireints out of the soil by capilliary action
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    They are the same plant. The leaves just shot up from the base. I'm wondering how far I should cut it down.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!