All your Homebase are belong to... you! / The House 'n' Home Thread.
  • Yeah I just sanded enough so I could gently squeeze it shut, should be fine, I think this was the first time opening it in months. All my windows are single glazing and I'd love to get them replaced with double, but I think that's around £10k which is about £9k higher than my budget.

There's a lot to do on my house, it's an 1890 build, sturdy af and spacious, but damn in need of modernizing. It'd feel odd to do just one or two windows.
  • The local tradesman is a good shout tho, I've some roofing needs doing and a recommended local bloke is sounding not only cheaper but better than bigger names.
  • They'd probably pay for themselves over time mate, single glazing is shit for heating and noise. You might be able to get a long term loan from the bank your mortgage is with or something.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • They'd definitely pay for themselves over time aye, but that doesn't magic up the money eh. I'm holding out another 2 years then will probably remortgage and invest in the house, it's walking distance to the Elizabeth crossrail line if that ever fucking opens, so am happy to play the long game.
  • Remortgage is how I would look into it.
    They will add value to the house so it should be pretty easy to secure and you won't have to take the debt with you if you move. Last thing you want is to be paying for someone else's windows on a loan when you have moved on.

I looked into doing mine when I moved in but my windows are h2.5m x w1.5m sash windows and would have cost a fortune.
  • Yeah mine are big old windows too, I'll see what I can do on a remortgage in a couple of years time; in general the house is great, but it 'has a rustic charm' if you know what I mean.
  • nick_md wrote:
    it's walking distance to the Elizabeth crossrail line if that ever fucking opens, so am happy to play the long game.

Lol. I bought my place 12 years ago with an eye on Crossrail adding value (I'm guessing you don't live near me though, because the houses around here are all 1910s. ). Fuckin' hurry up and open already ... At least the Woolwich DLR link opened up.

On topic - if you've got original wooden sash windows, there'll be loads of people telling you to keep them as they'll add to the value. Getting the buggers fixed up by a proper carpenter is ridiculously expensive, though.

PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Yeah looked at that as well. Mine either have to be propped open or stay up by friction. The Pully systems are all long gone.

Unfortunately it's not worth it. The freeholder of the building doesnt look after it well enough to do external type cosmetic upgrades. I've probably hit the market ceiling on my place by decorating it and changing the bathroom. Anything else and I wont see the return.
  • Now I'm thinking my place is 1910 also, I'll have to check. I'm Plumstead common area, solid house but needs modernising, just doing bit by bit.

Liv I'd love to get decent windows in but not for any value increase, I don't think any increase would be more than the cost of fitting double glazing throughout, for example. I just want to get them done for better insulation in winter.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Now I'm thinking my place is 1910 also, I'll have to check. I'm Plumstead common area, solid house but needs modernising, just doing bit by bit.

Liv I'd love to get decent windows in but not for any value increase, I don't think any increase would be more than the cost of fitting double glazing throughout, for example. I just want to get them done for better insulation in winter.

Small world - I'm in Abbey Wood.
  • Moving a week today, cannot wait... its been a long time coming. 

Got removals sorted, mainly because of stairs (we currently live in a maisonette).

Mainly binning a lot of what we have now and got new furniture ordered for the week after, going to be fun.
  • Omg just had an absolute nightmare in the garden.

My garden drop downs a couple of levels with a large shed on the bottom level itself, and at the very back there's a fence then a 6ft drop down to a paddock area owned by someone else. I noticed some rubbish strewn about at the bottom of my garden, figure a fox has dragged it in, so head out with a bin bag to pick it up.

Just as I get to the last pieces of rubbish I notice that the whole fence at the back has fallen away into the paddock below, bollocks. I head over to investigate and just as I approach, a fox darts out from underneath the shed. I look closer and it's not just the fence that fell away, whole chunks of the wall that make the 6ft drop has fallen away, presumably from the rain and storm. This has left a big gap in the floor of the shed where Mr. fox has been getting in and presumably making this shed his home.

I decide to go into the shed to see what state it's in, open the door and there's more rubbish inside, along with various bits of card and papers all shredded up and scattered around, and yep sure enough I can see a big gap at the end of the shed where the ground has fallen away. Bollocks.

I was just walking in to get a closer look when I see two black rats curled up motionless on the floor. Nope, I am out of there.

Am now trying find a gardener / landscaper who can just remove the entire shed structure, clear all that shit out and put a new fence up at the back. I do not like rats one bit.

This is going to be expensive I feel.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Fencing can be expensive but it doesn't have to be - depends on what type and dimensions.

The rest of the removal etc is "just" labour so it shouldn't be overly expensive.

With a fox in residence you can be confident that no living rats will be around. If you can't handle that - get someone to remove them and then labour yourself to take the shed away.  I demolished my old sheds myself - they fold up like a house of cards. We had palm sized frogs living under them where it was nice and damp!!! I am about 300m from a river and at least 50m above it!!! I took them down to the river in a bucket with a little water in the bottom. They weren't too happy being in the bucket .... I didn't realise they could scream. But they were happy as Larry onced I placed them on the riverbank where the river was shallow and they hopped off :)

The bigger issue sounds like the paddock owner's whose wall is damaged.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I am available for shed smashing with a bit of notice btw.
  • It's a shared wall I think, it's basically earth and a 6ft-ish drop all along the backs of my row of houses into this paddock, no idea when it collapsed and I'd have expected the paddock owner to be knocking on my door as there's a fair bit of rubble, earth and timber at the bottom now. Somewhat concerned about continued collapse also.

The shed is pretty large and has a concrete floor inside, no idea what's lurking around the edges there as one wall of the shed is inaccessible and covered with bushes etc. The fox sleeps on the flat roof of it most day times in the sun, I've no problem with him at all (quite like him as a garden feature tbh provided he keeps his distance, which he does). Also like that he's taking out rats for me, but the whole thing has to go now imo.

Got a couple of quotes to come in over the weekend.

So there's this garden disaster to sort out, my cracked window from yesterday, and I need to get a bloke in to finish some slate roofing before water damage occurs. Jeesh there's always something that goes wrong eh and it's all money.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I am available for shed smashing with a bit of notice btw.

Nice, will keep that in mind but I seriously don't fancy getting stuck into this myself:

qBOsUNR.jpg

Where the shed roof ends in the pic is the end of my garden, with a big drop into the paddock.
  • Inside has some cabinets, work surface and a vice, table with drawers, and dead rats. Still fancy it?
  • Seeing as you're in the Plumstead area - Kenrix on Wickham Lane sell really good quality heavy duty fence panels (if your contractors want you to supply them). Much better than the big chains.
  • Nice, I'll see what the contractors say and will check out Kenrix, ta.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Inside has some cabinets, work surface and a vice, table with drawers, and dead rats. Still fancy it?

I'm going to look like a weirdo if I say yes now, but....I've picked up a dead rat in the past 18 months and I used to do garden stuff for a living.

Your move.
  • Look how much room you've got for a massive bonfire too.
  • Hah, persistent eh? Definitely keeping it in mind, doing it myself. Thing that puts me off, other than the actual labour, is how to remove all the shit, the only way into my garden is from my back door, and I don't really want to be traipsing loads of garden waste in, then up a flight of stairs to my front door. Am considering contacting paddock man and asking if I can shift it all through there, as I reckon that'll be much easier.

You should come round sometime anyway m8
  • I can't now I'm embarrassed.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    Inside has some cabinets, work surface and a vice, table with drawers, and dead rats. Still fancy it?
    I'm going to look like a weirdo if I say yes now, but....I've picked up a dead rat in the past 18 months and I used to do garden stuff for a living. Your move.

That's why no-one ever wants to be my wingman
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I hadn't considered just burning the lot, that could be a fine solution. Once it's dismantled ofc, I don't mean torching the structure.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    You need take a barrel of Agent Orange to the whole thing and start again.  :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Hey Nick. For something like dismantling that shed and putting up a fence shouldn’t be a huge deal. It doesn’t really need top quality tradesmen or anything - just people who are reliable and will do the simple bits properly. I personally hate old rotten sheds and outbuildings exactly for the reasons you mention - it’s the hidden stuff you could put your hands in. Urgh...

Don’t really think burning is viable as there’ll be loads of plastic, metal and stuff that you’d have to sort through - just get someone to move it all for you.

I’d totally try my best to get permission to use the paddock though - however careful the workers are they aren’t gonna be able to not bring loads of mud and crap in through your house. Plus it’ll make the job three - four times as long and cost more.

Check your house insurance too as you may be covered for storm damage to boundaries and perhaps even outbuildings too? It’s worth the phone call anyway.

Make sure you get the quotes itemised and be clear where they’re taking the waste unless you don’t really mind it turning up dumped in an alleyway or field or something. Beyond all that I’m happy to look at any quotes you get or if you and moot want advice on what to be knocking sheds down with and how to rebuild and reinstall fencing. Srsly, fencing is not a skilled job.

Anyway, good luck and holler for any other help and advice.
  • That's great info unc, hadn't even thought of checking my insurance; I've got a couple of guys quoting over the weekend so will follow up then.

Thanks again, really appreciated.
  • Terrible advice. Smash it up and burn it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!