All your Homebase are belong to... you! / The House 'n' Home Thread.
  • Floating shelves are a nightmare. Just hope you got brick.
  • Heavy rain last night, and I got woken up in the middle of the night by a dripping sound. That’s never a good sign.

Sounds like there’s water dripping onto our kitchen’s false ceiling. Which is just under a foot below the actual ceiling, to allow for hidden ventilation ducts. But … with the odd setup of our building … at the furthest end of our kitchen, the last couple of feet actually have a void over the top, all the way up to the roof of the tenement three floors above. It’s like a dry riser, with services for the flats running up it. So I reckon that’s where the dripping water is. I reckon there’s a roof leak.
  • A leaking roof is a bloody pain. We had the extension roof re-felted about 4 years ago after it started leaking. By amazing luck it was right over the bathroom sink. It's the mess it makes to the ceiling that really sucks.

Got the floating shelves done - glad it's just for Lego as even in brick they don't feel all that solid.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • The toaster just knocked out our electricity - bonus, it stopped Tilly watching youtube.

My wife's been having sneaky teacakes apparently, and so removing the offending carbonised raisins that were shorting it out fixed it.

Could say I was having problems with the electric currant.

Hey - it's Christmas cracker joke season.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. Toasters are good at that.

Irons do it when they go wrong too.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Could say I was having problems with the electric currant.

*slowclap.gif*
  • poprock wrote:
    Could say I was having problems with the electric currant.
    *slowclap.gif*

This joke needs more recognition tbh. Thought it was pretty good myself.
  • Yeah, credit where it's due, he was really raisin the bar with that pun!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • A question. In the process of buying a house. Price agreed. Its all progressing as to be expected. Sellers are moving to rented accommodation as they decide where to go next. The said sellers revamped the kitchen back in 2014. They put in a £1,500 cooker and £1,500 fridge in the kitchen revamp. The house also has custom blinds and shutters throughout for the 18 windows. The sellers are asking us to pay £1000 for the cooker, fridge and blinds/shutters. They will throw in a large pine wardrobe in one of the bedrooms that they dont wish to take with them.

Now, my wife is saying pay them the money, they arent budging on the amount. I think personally if we didnt pay them and played a game of who blinks first they would leave the blinds/shutters and cooker / wardrobe behind. As the blinds/shutters are custom for those windows and the cooker is almost 2 meters in length and there are loads of them on ebay. The fridge isnt important it just fits the cove in the kitchen perfectly. We have a fridge we could bring albeit smaller and it would leave a gap down the side due to its smaller dimensions. They are moving to rented accommodation as i mentioned previously. Sounds like a pain in the arse to have to move a cooker/blinds/shutters into storage etc.

Anyway pay the money they ask or call their bluff that they will leave the stuff behind?
  • Do you actually want the items? If so, pay them. If not, ask them to get rid before you agree contract, or pay you something to get rid of them.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Charge them £1000 to remove their wardrobe
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • What Elf said. If you want those things, pay for them because it’s a bargain. If you don’t want them, let them go.

The sellers will absolutely not leave behind things you don’t pay for. They’ll bin them rather than give you them for free.

Personally, I’d probably pay it for the blinds and shutters alone. Another option might be to say “I’ll take the blinds and shutters for £500 but I don’t want the appliances or wardrobe.”
  • Thanks for the prompt replies. Wife wants the stuff so i will have to find the money.
  • Replacing the blinds and shutters yourself would probably run into multiple thousands, so I reckon you’re doing the right thing.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Thanks for the prompt replies. Wife wants the stuff so i will have to find the money.

Add it to sale price?
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Thanks for the prompt replies. Wife wants the stuff so i will have to find the money.

Add it to sale price?

Agreed awhile ago and docs have all gone out. Would cost more for solicitors to change that i think. Rather add an addendum for additional fixtures and fittings which would cost less i think. I could be wrong.
  • Whatever you do just make sure that you have it agreed in writing.
    poprock wrote:
    What Elf said. If you want those things, pay for them because it’s a bargain. If you don’t want them, let them go. The sellers will absolutely not leave behind things you don’t pay for. They’ll bin them rather than give you them for free. Personally, I’d probably pay it for the blinds and shutters alone. Another option might be to say “I’ll take the blinds and shutters for £500 but I don’t want the appliances or wardrobe.”

I'd say it's more accurate that they'll leave nothing that you want that you haven't paid for and lots of stuff you don't want that you'll have to pay to remove.
  • Heh. Aye. That wardrobe was always going to be Dino’s problem.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:

Add it to sale price?

Agreed awhile ago and docs have all gone out. Would cost more for solicitors to change that i think. Rather add an addendum for additional fixtures and fittings which would cost less i think. I could be wrong.

Have you spoken to the solicitor about this? They’ll be able to tell you the options, banks can usually chuck and extra k on for stuff like that if it’s part and parcel of the deal. Unless you’ve exchanged contracts then it’s all still sortable.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Add it to sale price?

Hmmm.  We agreed a small amount (£150) for something at the point of exchanging contracts. This sort of thing should’ve been discussed and sorted before contract.
  • Interestingly i asked if i could have a breakdown of the items valuation incase we decide to just pay for the cooker and blinds. Got told its £1000 for all of it. Gone back to estate agent and asked them to clarify whether its £1000 for everything or nothing at all. Its not much to ask how much they are valuing the out of warranty cooker, fridge and the blinds/shutters.
  • Hylian, did you hire a removal company or do it all yourself?

Wondering about hiring removal crates as well
  • Removal company? For moving? We haven’t moved and won’t be for a long time.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    It all depends how much shit you have, being as you;re buying their fridge and freezer you might be able to save on the moving stuff
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • We did it ourselves. My dad came up, we hired a van, did shuttles.

It was shit and took twice as long as predicted. If we hadn’t been lucky enough to have a full weekend overlap then we’d have been screwed.

I recommend getting a company.
  • If you can afford it, using a removals company is a really nice luxury. Makes the move a lot easier, but it’s a treat not an essential.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    We did it ourselves. My dad came up, we hired a van, did shuttles.

It was shit and took twice as long as predicted. If we hadn’t been lucky enough to have a full weekend overlap then we’d have been screwed.

I recommend getting a company.

Aye, I'd do that if I ever move again. Especially if you're in a chain. I could have strangled the silly cow who I bought this house from. Unorganised fool, left everything to the last minute, got stressed out and said she was going to call the police to kick us out to allow her more time. I said the house belongs to me now pet, give them a ring and they'll probably kick you out. And the house was fucking minging. Used cotton buds on the en suite window sill. Awful stuff all round.
  • Normally id do it myself but with a 18mth baby at home. A removal company may be the saner option.

Hylian, dunno why i thought you had moved in the recent past. Maybe i got you mixed up with someone else

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!