All your Homebase are belong to... you! / The House 'n' Home Thread.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I thought elf had moved in the last year or two as well.

I'd go with a removals company too. It's incredible how much stuff you have crammed in to a house. Trying to move it on your own is a really pain in the arse. Take the stress out of it with a removal company it if you can stomach the cost.
  • No, bought house in October, gonna be extending and also renovating for ages.

Waiting for architect to draw up plans and then submit to council (need permission for higher than allowed outside wall, inunderatnd most likely will be rejected and we need to do maybe slanting roof or something or make do with lower ceiling).
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I did most of our move with the car, back and forth dozens of times. It nearly killed me, and in the end I had to rent a van for some bigger stuff anyway. So yeah, save yourself the hassle if you can afford it and pay someone to do it. Otherwise rent a big van/truck and do it yourself in as few goes as possible.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    95% of the work is actually boxing your life up

Bloody great if someone else moves it, but not the huge labour expense it seems, so if you've already boxed it up and don;t have bg delicate furniture like pianos and stuff you'll be fine
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    No, the worst part is carrying boxes of shit to the car, then carrying them into they new place and up stairs if there are any. Do that a hundred times.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hahaha, fair point well made Kow, I do recall an old friend asking me to help him move, he said he's almost done just needs help with two items. Little was I to know they were his washing machine and his fridge freezer, and he was moving from a third floor flat to a fourth floor flat, not in the same block mores the pity
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Get a removal firm.

Even thinking about doing that would give me nightmares. Whatever you have estimated it would take in effort will be wrong.

Unless of course you have half a dozen people who will help.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yeh going with a removal firm gonna get some quotes.

Missus wants house we are buying deep cleaned as present owners have dogs and our son picks up anything off the floor to see what it tastes like etc. Hoping we can get the keys a few days earlier than completion day so we can get cleaners in to clean the place. The sellers are moving to rented so in theory it should be possible. All this completion day malarkey about everyone moving and vacating on the same day in a chain is just nuts.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    No, bought house in October, gonna be extending and also renovating for ages.

Waiting for architect to draw up plans and then submit to council (need permission for higher than allowed outside wall, inunderatnd most likely will be rejected and we need to do maybe slanting roof or something or make do with lower ceiling).

If you dont mind me asking do you currently own two properties then? One your living in and one you will move into when you get the renovations/extentions done?

Asking as thats something I've always wanted to do but financially couldnt.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I kept our flat for an extra month to move. It would have been cheaper and less painful to pay a removal company. There's no way you could do it yourself in a short time unless you only have a shoebox of stuff. And unless you're moving out of your parents' house into your own house then you definitely have more than a shoebox of stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    No, bought house in October, gonna be extending and also renovating for ages. Waiting for architect to draw up plans and then submit to council (need permission for higher than allowed outside wall, inunderatnd most likely will be rejected and we need to do maybe slanting roof or something or make do with lower ceiling).
    If you dont mind me asking do you currently own two properties then? One your living in and one you will move into when you get the renovations/extentions done? Asking as thats something I've always wanted to do but financially couldnt.

You can get a bridging loan for that but you would need to budget for it and be sure of your move date.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • We are essentially living with my Mum in her housing accommodation. We pay all bills and for her care needs etc. She will be moving with us. It was the only way we could save for and afford a decent house in London.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • A question, in my previous property i had a ikea billy bookcase which was full to the rafters with books. Unfortunately there is nowhere for it to go in the new house. However i could in theory set it up in the garage and buy some doors for the billy from ikea.

Now i know your not supposed to store books in the garage due yo moisture / humidity / insect reasons but i have nowhere else for them to go. I was thinking the doors on the billy would make life alittle more difficult for insects trying to get to the books.

Any thoughts on this idea?!?
  • Put the books in ziplock bags. It’s literally the only way to be sure.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Put the books in ziplock bags. It’s literally the only way to be sure.

That or expanding foam
  • Put them in the bath.
  • poprock wrote:
    Put the books in ziplock bags. It’s literally the only way to be sure.

Googled that and results were mixed. I have over 200 books. What to do....what to do...hmmm...
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Just cover them all with old wallpaper and stuff, it worked at school

edit; "worked"
  • I think the trouble with ziplocks is that they will trap any moisture in as well.

Perhaps those vacuum bag things? Not the ones you attach a Hoover to but the ones used for food like when they cook stuff in a water bath on Masterchef.
    No idea what one costs mind.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    If you are going to bag them, get some of those silica gel crystal pouches to absorb any moisture.
  • Dont eat them though as apparently tempting as they look.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    it's ok with a tide pod chaser
  • Surely if we’re bagging books then they aren’t going to fit back on the bookshelf?  All that trapped air and crumpled bits of plastic are going to add up and stop those 200 (whoosh, 200!) books from fitting back in the bookcase, that itself won’t fit inside the new house.  It’s a real fucking quandary all right...
  • I left some books in our summerhouse over the winter. They're absolutely fine. Unless the garage has a leak, there's not real problem.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • 1. Buy a new and different shaped bookcase and keep in the house?

Or 

2. Buy 2 new differently shaped bookcases and keep these in the house, thus allowing for potential expansion of anywhere up to 400 books (depending on size of books and any plastic bagging that may go on).

Or

3.  Plastic bag the books in the garage as mentioned elsewhere but then you’ve got a load of trouble about where you’re storing those plastic bags so you’re probably going to need to buy a new kitchen drawer to store then in but then its unlikely you’ll be able to match the new drawer with the old kitchen so then you’ll have buy a new kitchen.  Could cash in the crypto to pay for this?

Or

4.  Give the books away to a charity shop/shelf behind the tills in a big Sainsbury’s/the poor child at the end of the road who doesn’t like sports but can’t always afford new books since his dad had that accident and his mum has had to work three jobs just to make ends meet/put them in the recycling.

Or

5. Buy one of those dehumidifier things but i don’t know how good the garage door is so it might just end up sucking the rain in and making the books even wetter.
  • Does the garage have any windows? If so, check them on cold days. If there's condensation on the inside, don't store books. If there's no condensation then the air's probably dry enough for them.

Garages are a bastard. My parents stored some of my college artwork in theirs (before they had it pulled down and rebuilt). Loads of my boards just warped.
  • I've got wood frame windows in my place, opened one today that hasn't been opened in a while to air the place a bit, can't get it closed now. It's always been a stiff one to close but a swift pull normally does it, this time tho that swift pull has put a crack in the glass. Fucksake.

I expect it's moisture in the wood that's caused it to swell, but it's very frustrating. I'm tempted to sand down the part that's causing it to stick. Anyone any experience with this?
  • nick_md wrote:
    I've got wood frame windows in my place, opened one today that hasn't been opened in a while to air the place a bit, can't get it closed now. It's always been a stiff one to close but a swift pull normally does it, this time tho that swift pull has put a crack in the glass. Fucksake.

I expect it's moisture in the wood that's caused it to swell, but it's very frustrating. I'm tempted to sand down the part that's causing it to stick. Anyone any experience with this?
    nick_md wrote:
    I've got wood frame windows in my place, opened one today that hasn't been opened in a while to air the place a bit, can't get it closed now. It's always been a stiff one to close but a swift pull normally does it, this time tho that swift pull has put a crack in the glass. Fucksake.

I had this with my old kitchen windows. Sandpaper worked.

Replacing them with UPVC worked better.
  • Wilko sandpaper to the rescue, cheers.

Would love to get all my windows replaced but ££££ eh.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Wilko sandpaper to the rescue, cheers.

Would love to get all my windows replaced but ££££ eh.

Just go easy with the sanding - just enough to let it close again.

Windows can be affordable if you go with a local tradesman. I got a medium sized bathroom window swapped out for under £400. Not sure on your budget. If you're single-glazed at the moment it may be worth getting a quote even just for the problem window, especially if you're going to want to keep opening it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!