All your Homebase are belong to... you! / The House 'n' Home Thread.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Cheers, gents. Exciting times indeed!

Hope all goes well at your end, Pop.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Great news cosby. We packed over xmas last year and to be honest it was so fecking stressful. But all the xmas movies help when your packing up boxes. Life in the home counties now is it?

Heh. Thankfully won't be starting with packing or anything until the new year. Moving out to Hertfordshire/Cambridgeshire borders, closer to the wife's family.
  • Congrats Cosby.

Best of luck Pop
  • grats to both ye beautiful badger bastards, hope your respective moves go smooth as a buttered boy and you find no angry ghosts in your new digs.
  • That’s our solicitor just received the missing puzzle pieces from the land register. Shouldn’t be any more hold ups (he said, blatantly tempting fate).
  • Life goal achieved. I am, right now, drying my flat cap over my Aga. Peak Yorkshire, despite being in Scotland.

It’s been pissing down all day. My car key fob failed after I’d packed it full of belongings, trapping them inside until I got a new battery for my spare keys from Halfords. So I missed the first arrival at our new house and my wife helped the removals guys unload the truck without me. But when I finally caught up, fuck me it’s all been worth it.

Now, a few days of unpacking. Then moving things around. Then changing my mind and moving them again.

Tomorrow we get to the big reveal - showing the dog the garden. I am excited.
  • Awesome! Thrilled for you mate. :)
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Congrats - and an Aga? That's on my list of things to attain in the future. Well done!
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/green-fingered-man-grows-ultimate-19443403

Chap in nottingham started growing plants at home. One or two are so rare that they are worth £12,000 a leaf! 12k for a leaf!!

Interesting read.
  • Crikey Noxy - this could be a vocation!
  • Don't give him ideas XD
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Toyota has revealed plans to build a prototype "city" of the future on a 175-acre site at the base of Mt. Fuji in Japan. Called the Woven City, it will be a fully connected ecosystem powered by hydrogen fuel cells.

Envisioned as a "living laboratory," the Woven City will serve as a home to full-time residents and researchers who will be able to test and develop technologies such as autonomy, robotics, personal mobility, smart homes and artificial intelligence in a real-world environment.

https://blog.toyota.co.uk/toyota-woven-city-hydrogen-power

Oh man...I'd go live here.
  • It's a big fat nope from me dawg, this is like that dystopian Samsung shit in Korea, can't wait for my employer to also be my landlord! I'm sure expenditure on non-profit generating things like landscaping, maintenance of property, utilities upkeep will be properly funded and not just an additional service fee taken out of renting employees pay packets.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Saltaire and Bournville weren't so terrible were they?
  • Melton Mowbray is lovely.
  • Saltaire and Bournville weren't so terrible were they?

No they were nice compared to the average standard of living at the time, so are the worker neighbourhoods in Oslo around what is now the Mondelez HQ. 

But they weren't imagined by a multi national corporate entity who is beholden to it's shareholders at the time of construction. I also note that both areas are no longer owned and maintained by their philanthropist originators as far as I can tell.

Edit: Also in Saltaire if you lost your job at the mill you lost your tenancy, so try not to get your arm ripped off in one of the machines.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • The Toyota place is designed by Bjarke Ingels at least. He’s very good.

For Toyota this is about having a controlled environment to test future mobility experiments, alternatives to private car ownership.
  • Toyota has also invested big in hydrogen fuel cells, and I expect this will be part of it.
  • I'm all on board for private companies wanting a test environment for their products, I'm less on board with the idea that foremost in their minds will be the maintenance and upkeep of facilities and the well being of their employees as those things aren't a source of revenue for the business, only the products they are testing in those environments.

A plot of land nearly a kilometre square under complete control of a private company acting as a landlord for 2000 people where they can test their interconnected AI systems, fucking sign me up?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Zero crime, zero unemployment, zero homelessness, good old fashioned feudalism
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • So our new house is awesome, but of course there’s something wrong. There had to be something.

The previous owner is living next-door. Him and his wife created the entire development (eight homes on a converted farmstead). We’ve bought their own old house - which sits apart from the others, which are around a square courtyard.

There’s a big old barn at one end. Communally owned, but split into four garages plus a big open shed space. Each is for the exclusive use of one property’s owners. We have exclusive use of one garage and also the big remaining shed space.

Except the previous owner says we don’t. He says they’re his. And he hasn’t given us keys or access.

Frankly, he hasn’t a leg to stand on. Legally, he’s squatting in our garage and shed. I’ve even checked with his solicitor, who agrees.

But this is one hell of a way to immediately fall out with our new neighbour. I’m going to have to bring it up very carefully. (Which is why I triple-checked the legalities first.)
  • Oof. The bit that gets me is always how do people think this will fly? Is it a genuine mistake on this guy’s part - he thought for whatever reason he’s either outwitted you (“but if you check section6 subsection ii you’ll see that...”, the refrain of the wannabe lawyer) or actually believes his bullshit - or just hoped you’d let him get away with it?

The rationalising is intense: no one is ever the bad guy so what does he tell himself? Fucking humans such a mystery
  • Er I meant that sounds shit. Good luck!
  • Other alternative I guess is he didn't want to include those bits as part of the house sale but has failed to uncouple them from the houses deeds.
  • Is uncouple a word? Decouple?
  • I’m pretty sure he just hasn’t realised they came with the house. Which is his own fault for not checking, but however I bring it up I will always be the arsehole (to him).
  • He has always used the garage and shed, he owned the whole development, so he assumed he could keep on using them. But the deeds list them as being for ‘exclusive use of the proprietors of The Studio’ - which is not him any more.
  • Ride up to his front door on a horse and declare that there is a new king in town and that these lands are bequeathed to your unborn spawn.
  • Sounds good, will do.

It’s a bloody short ride though. And I’ll need to go borrow a horse from the next farm along.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Is uncouple a word? Decouple?

Pop needs to explain that the garage and shed have had a concious uncoupling from the former owner.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!