All your Homebase are belong to... you! / The House 'n' Home Thread.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Apparently not. This is the top. No lip.
    wFIHL6x.jpg

The underneath. There's a block holding but the block has broken. In the other corners the block has come away from the to piece. You can see it's just some kind of cement holding it.
    2z2JFG1.jpg
  • Looks like an off cut of your worktop.
    That cement is glue, probably something like No More Nails (or a different brand that is the same thing).

Assuming I am correct I would argue they shouldn't have used a graphite off cut as support as it is brittle.

You're gonna have to get the sink out first then remove all the old glue on there using heat (hairdyer/heat gun) and a scraper.

Then redo the job and replace those graphite blocks with something more appropriate.
    Like these...
    https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/p/enclosure-mounting-brackets/3975014/, more you use the better.
    I dont know about screwing into graphite, If it was wood I would screw them in. Graphite though, I dunno. It would work better but I dont want to suggest it and you crack the worktop.

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I won't be doing anything that complicated, I'll just be sticking it back on. I wouldn't have the first idea about drilling into it and I don't have the tools either. I'm just wondering if I should concentrate on sticking the rim to the top, or staying with the blocks and gluing those. Nothing to stop me doing both I guess. I'll have shop around tomorrow and see if I should use some kind of silicone glue for the rim and no more nails for the blocks maybe.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I did see a video for a support system for exactly this issue called Never Fall but it doesn't seem to be available on Amazon at the moment.
  • Are you looking to bodge it until you can get someone over or a long term fix?

I dont think putting new adhesive on the old stuff and sticking with those blocks will last long.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    A long term bodge. At the moment I don't have the cash to get it done properly. Kind of looks like it was a cowboy job to begin with. I might try and do it properly myself with the right silicone around the rim and the blocks just for extra support.
  • If nothing else I would add some extra blocks when you do it. Glue is all about surface area so the more you have the better.
    I take it below the sink is a cupboard? Cut some lengths of 1x2 wood to the height that the sink should be and hammer them in upright below as supports inside the cupboard.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yeah, there's a cupboard for bleach etc, typical things.
    This video looks like what I need to do. In fact it looks like it's what the previous owner did.
  • Ah yeah, so just filling in the gap with clear sealant.
    It will work for a bit but won't add strength and as one corner has failed more will eventually. Short term should be OK. Also if it starts to fail the sealant will just pull away so watch for water running inside the cupboard, just don't fill the sink too high I guess.

To be honest I think the whole concept of relying on adhesive to hold sinks in place is really poor. When you have the money to get someone in tell them you want some mechanical support. I mean that sink in the video is what 20+ litre capacity? So 20kg or more plus impact, supported by glue. I dont fancy it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yeah there is a support thing you can get, I'll be keeping an eye out for availability.
  • Best of luck mate. I'm wary of coming across really critical there but its not your fault.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    No, you're right to be. I don't have much of a clue about DIY - I learn a new trick every time something breaks down and this is new to me. The more constructive criticism the better.
  • I'm lucky in that my dad is a fountain of knowledge for DIY so I have picked up stuff over the years and always have him as a safety net so chancing it is less of a risk.
  • Propping it up from underneath would be a really sensible idea. Even if only for while your glue and sealant dry. Stack up books or something if you have to, but definitely prop it from below.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yeah, I'm going to get a clamp thing tomorrow. I found some glue/sealant stuff in the garage that supposedly is good for up to 250kg per 10cm2 (this stuff : https://quilosa.com/en/producto/1000-uses-ms/ ) so that sounds like the job.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    You could use a board and a car jack to prop it up while you wait for it to set.
  • All this house buying talk had me looking at stuff that was around. I found a cute little unit/townhouse thing that seemed like it could potentially be in my budget but it is not. Not nearly enough savings and now I feel a bit sad about missing out on that place. I'm not gonna be good when I eventually can afford to actually get a place. I imagine it takes losing a few "perfect" places before you start to get a hardened shell.
  • Another classic nightmare house. This time a big square castle made only of brick.
    https://twitter.com/boingb00mtschak/status/1316614190761533441?s=19

• Another Build engine map I see.
  • Frosty wrote:
    Another classic nightmare house. This time a big square castle made only of brick.
    https://twitter.com/boingb00mtschak/status/1316614190761533441?s=19

Wow, thats bad. Thats a demolish and rebuild job. Get an architect involved and use the surronding views.
  • Look, sometimes you get offered a job lot of reclaimed red brick and you just have to make the best of it.
  • Looks alright to me. Get something climbing up the exterior for a bit of green to blend in with the forest. Inside is actually cool, the room heights are pretty nuts, it's just the furniture is just not working at all or is just positioned in a really weird way in each room.

I feel like it's somewhere that was definitely designed to be a certain way by the architect, for a client, and then the client just went and fucked up the furniture and the decor and the fixtures and fittings. 

11/10 I would buy this place and get some climbers up the outside, spruce up the interior by working sympathetically to the space and it would be fucking amazing and people would be like OOH ROUJ I LOVE IT, I SEE ITS LIKE A FORTRESS OF SOLITUDE STANDING ALONE IN THE FOREST IT LOOKS SO COSY AND INVITING IN HERE CAN I COME IN OUT THE RAIN PLS. Except I don't have a couple of million dollars, shoiuld have chosen to be born to the upper classes I guess.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Roujin its up for $349,000.
  • It looks like a Medieval Times.
  • Ah my child, $350k to buy $1.7m on top because I will have to drag all the labour and materials into the middle of fucking nebraska or wherever this house is hahaha.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Americans don’t really ‘do’ brick like the UK does. This place is super-exotic to them.
  • And I thought the same as Rouj – it’s not a nightmare at all. It’s just been done by someone with no taste or sense of restraint. Plaster some (not all) of those internal walls and you’d be looking at it very differently. I’d want to knock some bigger windows in. And maybe not build so much of the fitted furniture out of brick (admittedly, that part’s weird). But you could make a nice house out of that.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    After applying in 2018, being rejected.  And re-applying in 2019, and being rejected.  And appealing in January.  And having our site visit delayed cos lockdown till September.  And having the three-to-four weeks since the site visit mysteriously grow to nearly eight weeks... WE'VE FINALLY FUCKING GOT OUR APPEAL APPOVED!!  Kitchen extension agogogo!  Woooo.  And, crucially, my opportunity to buy an fancy new tv the price of which can get lost in the rounding somehow, so she'll never know...
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Nice! Congrats mate.
  • Nice!  We started building work yesterday.  Nightmare getting 20% deposit across to builders cos of bank fraud checks etc but its good that is in place.

Can't wait til its all over, hopefully by Easter, so no stress of payments and choosing shit and shit going potentially wrong etc.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!