All your Homebase are belong to... you! / The House 'n' Home Thread.
  • All I know is there's just a mortgage on the house, no leasing of the land shit up here.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Pretty sure it's not a thing in Scotland but I may be about to be told otherwise.

Leasehold is bloody rare in Scotland, but it does happen. One of my friends almost bought a flat above my local Waitrose until finding out it was leasehold. She backed out of the deal quickly.

Leasehold is very, very common in London.
  • Damn right.

Scotland used to have feuhold, which was similar. It mostly got removed in the early 2000s but a few places still cling on like a bad smell.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. The Guinness brewery in Dublin signed a 9000 year lease.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The list for the unexpected ensuite renewal (leak due to age of shower enclosure, over 20 years old) is coming along nicely. Almost in a postion to order stuff for it now. Where possible will reuse existing fixtures. So the Aqualissa digital shower and the no idea of brand name towel radiator will be reused. A Crosswater shower enclosure plus deep tray plus riser kit and a Crosswater illuminated round led mirror are coming in. Sink, sink tap and toilet are Grohe. Its all still under a grand for ensuite so im pleased. Trying to get some quality stuff in that will last. Dont really want to touch it again for a decade ideally.

Main bathroom is gonna cost more unfortunately. A 1800mm x 800mm Carronite bath is going in as is a Mira digital shower for the shower enclosure. Going to go with the same Grohe sink and toilet however missus wants waterfall taps (Bristan) for the bath and the sink. Same Crosswater led mirror in there as well.

Still got to decide on the wall tiles and flooring (ensuite will have same tiles). The wood effect tiles seem to be the trend in most tile shops now. Which is unfortunate as there arent enough variations of caramel coloured floor tiles anymore, in our previous house we had cream tiles on wall and caramel tiles on floor and subtle mosaic in a few places. It looked amazing. When we were in process of selling the estate agent kept mentioning how much the bathroom was impressing folk.

Anyway im gonna be really really poor for awhile. Deffo no next gen console, new games or new tv now for awhile.
  • Wood effect tiles wtaf
  • Just shit on the current ones and save yourself a fortune.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Having security rails put in this week. That's no consoles for me for the foreseeable future too.
  • My brother says there's a lot of misery where he is. (malaga)
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Malaga had an unemployment rate of about 20% before Covid hit so they're probably rightly fucked now.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Bathroom stuff

Sounds like you’re having fun Dino. Crosswater fittings are decent, Hansgrohe aren’t very exciting but will probably outlast the house, dunno much about the rest.

I’ll second Unlikely’s WTF about wood effect tiles though.

I like encaustic tiles for bathroom floors, myself. I went for these in ours.
  • After our flat sale fell through, the market round here has slowed right down. Selling a second time has been frustrating as hell - quite galling after it sold in a week the first time around.

Things seem to have picked up again over the past week though. We’ve had multiple viewings every day and today we started getting verbal offers at decent prices. So we’re putting it to a closing date on Thursday.

Luck seems to have kicked in a bit. There’s a house we tried to buy ages ago, which went to a much higher bidder (almost £50k above our offer). That buyer was given six weeks to come up with the money and has failed to do so. Turns out they hadn’t even put their existing house on the market when they made their pie-in-the-sky offer. I phoned the selling agent today and explained our situation. They’re going to give us a chance to bid on Friday. Fingers crossed.
  • Liking them tiles, Pop.
  • It’s a small bathroom. Only a few square metres, so expensive tiles are a good way to make it feel special without breaking the bank.

CzdM4Pa.jpg
  • Fingers crossed for you mate. What a shame, on some career scenarios I'm looking at fucking off and basically shilling myself, but probably not for another 18-24 months. Or else I'd be in the market for a pad in West Glasgow for sure.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Nice, sounds like things are turning around again. Fingers crossed for you pop.

We had the plumber round again to fix another leak. Last one was the bath, this time it was the cold water tank in the loft.

He replaced the tank without too many problems. but honestly the shit job the house builders do for the price they charge is crazy. The tank hadn't been fitted correctly and wasn't supported properly and so had warped.

It also didn't have a lid. Instead it had a sheet of mdf laid on top that didn't fit properly so there were gaps at the sides who knows what was getting into it. Good times.
  • Aye, what we needed was a Gonz. Someone to move up from London looking for a pad they could never have afforded down there.

Think we’ve found something similar. Newly qualified doctor who moved here from HK to finish his training. Now he’s starting work and wants to buy a flat. So far he’s in the lead, bidding against a guy who wants to buy it to relocate from Aberdeen because his biotech startup is going to open its first lab here in Glasgow.
  • poprock wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Bathroom stuff

Sounds like you’re having fun Dino. Crosswater fittings are decent, Hansgrohe aren’t very exciting but will probably outlast the house, dunno much about the rest.

We were suprised by the wood effect tiles and their popularity. We're gonna go with tiles, hopefully we will find the right colour.

Dumped the grohe toilet and basin switched to vitra instead. The Grohe toilet though lovely as its rimless has some cheap parts which loads of people have complained about.

The encaustic tiles are nice that you've chosen.
  • poprock wrote:
    It’s a small bathroom. Only a few square metres, so expensive tiles are a good way to make it feel special without breaking the bank.

CzdM4Pa.jpg

Lovely finish.

Re: the house that fell through. Thats fecking out of order, the noob who offered 50k more and his house aint on the market. Crazy.
  • Will post my question here as i dont think we have a home security thread. Does anyone know if google normally reduce the price of the nest outdoor cameras on black friday? I need two. Google are offering 0% apr on them at moment so about £13 a month for 2 years but im wondering if its better to wait and see if they are reduced for Black Friday (nov 27th) so i can get them on 0% apr but at a cheaper price.
  • Frosty wrote:
    … honestly the shit job the house builders do for the price they charge is crazy.

It’s unbelievable what contractors get away with when nobody’s checking.

The nightmare basement conversion below us is shady as fuck. Yet it sold easily for north of £600,000. Our contractors opened up the space above a stairway to fit new flooring for us, and the electrical work they found below was shocking. Mains wires with bare ends just twisted together and left exposed, for a light in the communal stair. Massive fire risk.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Bathroom stuff

We were suprised by the wood effect tiles and their popularity. We're gonna go with tiles, hopefully we will find the right colour.

Dumped the grohe toilet and basin switched to vitra instead. The Grohe toilet though lovely as its rimless has some cheap parts which loads of people have complained about.

The encaustic tiles are nice that you've chosen.

I've never seen wood effect tiles. We got light-grey laminate flooring for our bathroom to match the panelling but toyed with solid wood flooring made from bamboo which is apparently good for bathrooms and doesn't easily warp.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • We used to use wood effect tiles for flooring in retail designs.
    Wood flooring doesnt wear very well under as a high traffic as retail experiences.

They were really good, you wouldnt know once installed. To the extent that when we were doing a store in Vietnam there was a communication break down and snagging kept coming back with issues around the floor being slippery, after numerous calls and emails it turned out the contractors were trying to oil the ceramic floor tiles.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    … it turned out the contractors were trying to oil the ceramic floor tiles.

That’s amazing.
  • Having seen some porcelain wood effect bathroom tiles in the flesh, we're gonna go with them now. We're going with a darker wood colour almost like dark mahogany. It looks amazing.
  • Yeah they look surprisingly good in the flesh.
  • Wood effect in the bathroom sounds.... odd
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Sold our flat at lunchtime. Put an offer in on our dream house half an hour ago. And my car’s in for an MOT.

ALL THE NERVES TODAY THANKS.
  • Good luck!

Looking at your (old) bathroom there makes me nervy. Can't imagine living in a nice place like that, it would make me feel like I needed to actually clean it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!