Hollow Knight - the first one, Tempy is forgiven
  • Nice.  Just had a look, didn't realise she'd released three, I thought I Will Not be Afraid was her debut.  Will have a listen.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I never really used the pogo that much on PC, can’t be doing with it. There was a bit in the Greenpath that I did right at the end of the game because it was a pogo thing. Probably wasn’t worth it.

I did that bit last night, but given that I'm still incapable of doing the pogo, managed to make it through by...
    Spoiler:
    Unfortunately I made it through with only one life left and immediately lost it in the next room...
  • Had a really good explore yesterday and came across some interesting stuff
    Spoiler:

And found myself in
    Spoiler:

But then I died. Can I get back there since there was
    Spoiler:
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Oh man. Turns out I’d walked right past the entrance to a stag stop. Back on track now, loads of exploring this aft. Was great fun. This game is so well balanced.
  • Did a lot of exploring last night.  Didn't face a boss, but picked up a useful new ability and three or four charms.  Quick question about some of the charms you can buy:
    Spoiler:
  • I am starting to think this is my favourite game of the generation

I can't see anything touching Shovel Knight but I gave Celeste full marks earlier in the year and this has the potential to surpass it.
  • I liked Celeste but playing on handheld mode was a nightmare.
    I am too shit for shovel knight
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    @moot - only if equipped
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm mid Celeste at the mo. It's very good, but I think a [9] Vs a [10] for this. Shovel Knight was only an [8] I think?
  • Is d pad obligatory for this? Never use it only stick.is playable with stick only and handheld. I don't have a pro controller.
    Peter3C
  • I liked Celeste but playing on handheld mode was a nightmare. I am too shit for shovel knight

This is tricky but definitely not as horrendously difficult as I was expecting so far.  Shovel Knight is far easier than Celeste imo.  I suppose the perception of overall difficulty has to do with checkpoint placement; all three are sensible with how far back you might need to go - seconds in Celeste (Bastard Hard at times), up to maybe three minutes in Shovel Knight (tough, but dying stands you in good stead for not dying at that point a second time) and possibly ages in this (which seems to be constantly tricky but - at this stage - never goes full brutal).  Whichever you find the most demoralising would probably be considered your toughest, so it's Celeste for me as I died loads towards the end without even hunting for strawbs or B sides.
  • pc71 wrote:
    Is d pad obligatory for this? Never use it only stick.is playable with stick only and handheld. I don't have a pro controller.

I thought I'd go for the dpad but I've been using the analogue stick.  It's not perfect but I think I'll make it.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    @moot - only if equipped

Thanks.
  • Spamming thread here.  Don't click unless you've played for a while, or maybe don't click at all just in case, but this character popping up in town bit is the nicest touch so far:
    Spoiler:
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    pc71 wrote:
    Is d pad obligatory for this? Never use it only stick.is playable with stick only and handheld. I don't have a pro controller.

I thought I'd go for the dpad but I've been using the analogue stick.  It's not perfect but I think I'll make it.

I was analogue the whole way. Bone controller though.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • pc71 wrote:

I've not used the d-pad at all.  Have been using mostly pro-controller, but using regular stick on handheld without any major issues.
  • Cheers for that
    Peter3C
  • Played HK on hand held exclusively- difficulty is perfect for my skill levels

• acemuzzy wrote:
    I'm mid Celeste at the mo. It's very good, but I think a [9] Vs a [10] for this. Shovel Knight was only an [8] I think?
    Fair

• Anyone up for a spoilery discussion about charms?
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • Every session on this is a joy.  3hrs 24mins this evening, that's Trials levels of time slipping away.  I've found
    Spoiler:
  • @tin memory hazy, I just generally liked the system itself, for exactly the combos and ideas you've found.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Anyone up for a spoilery discussion about charms?
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

It has a certain hidden secret abilities system similar to super metroid and the castlevania series. Combine the right charms to see what works and what does not. There's probably a list on gamefaqs for this.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Is there any indication when you get a decent combo?
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Is there any indication when you get a decent combo?

It depends on the combo.  There's no handy sound to tell you you've hit on something good, but for some there's an obvious physical change once they're equipped.  Others however aren't obvious at all, until you notice the benefit when playing..  There's a weird logic to them though, so if something sounds like it ought to work with something else, it probably does.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Hmmmm. I'll have to look at my charm pile, a lot were cast on the trash tier pile as soon as I read the description as I didn't know combos was a thing.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Combos? When does the game tell you about that?
  • Found a boss that felt out of my league
    Spoiler:
    and stupidly spent 90 minutes trying to beat it instead of returning when better equipped.  He's done now, but I'm still a wally for making things tougher on myself and 'wasting' all that time I could've been exploring.
  • It’s only a waste of you weren’t enjoying it. 

I spent an age beating the last Valkyrie in God of War. But I enjoyed every minute. Great battle.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!