Homer's Mario Odyssey
  • I've always loved Mario games and Nintendo games in general.

The only thing that bothers me with the motion is having to waggle to climb poles faster and that roundhouse move that takes loads of enemies out. Not sure how you'd pull that off in handheld mode and it's dead handy...

BERESFORD that's the beauty of this game man. Why the fuck do you want a big intro for a dinosaur? That's you all over lol! All Johnny big balls cinematic shite.

The game just throws a random T-Rex in there like it's nothing. It doesn't need a bloody great build up and by Christ am I glad of it. Same with the pre flyover in the levels. There are ways to do that but you have to earn it.

So far I'm really impressed with the gameplay. Head and shoulders above any other platform game out there. I see where Eurogamer are coming from in their review in regard to the visuals though - it's hit and miss here and there but on the whole very beautiful.

It's amazing to me how other developers get it so wrong with this sort of game.
  • Impersonating my wife in an online chat with Amazon got me an extra 30 days of Prime.  I was FUMING.  At one point I thought it got me a full refund, Mario Odyssey when it arrives and 30 days of Prime (I thought I'd nailed it right up until the penultimate sentence), but nope, I think I misjudged it and they want me to refuse the delivery when it arrives.  I am a bit pissed off with the service tbh, I contacted them earlier and was told it'll definitely arrive today, which I thought was the perfect set up for some sort of compensation as it clearly wasn't going to arrive today.  I'm shit at complaining, was only chancing my arm but now I'm annoyed I was buoyed off earlier.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    This game is awesome, but the camera behaves like it's done a gram of coke.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yeah I had to tweak the camera also, tad jerky to start with. Be fine since.
  • As much as it pains me, gonna call it a night as I'm in no rush. This game, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 & BOTW dlc 2 is all I need for this year..... I think.

Well the above & Animal Crossing pocket camp.
  • Just checking some reviews out and glad to see they're still doing noteworthy textures. Seems trivial but it really added to the feel of 3D World.
  • BERESFORD that's the beauty of this game man. Why the fuck do you want a big intro for a dinosaur? That's you all over lol! All Johnny big balls cinematic shite.

It just throws a random T-Rex in there like it's nothing. It doesn't need a bloody great build up and by Christ am I glad of it. Same with the pre flyover in the levels. There are ways to do that but you have to earn it.

But you didn’t earn it, the T-Rex was just laid there sleeping and you toss your cap on him. He’s not roaming the levels and you’ve gotta do something amazing to get him for the first time and earn the ability going forward, he’s just...there..asleep on a hill...throw your cap on him and he’s yours. Mario 64 you’d enter the levels, and I may be remembering it wrong but it’d have a short flyover and musical piece and you’d see things and think oooh how do I get there. Of course it’s grest finding it but it was ace seeing different bits and then working out how to get there. But as I said I may be mixing my memories with MK flyovers.

The shops within the levels have less character as you just walk in, there’s no ‘Hello there we’re the MARIO Mexicans, save our lands and we’ll give you a hat etc’, all this stuff is merely bought with the in game currency, just walk out after the first time you've been in and you’re wearing a sombrero and Mexican outfit, you don’t really earn it by meeting a certain character or areas aims or objectives, you’ve got thousands of gold coins and within minutes tons of area specific coins to just buy this stuff. It’s just there.

I may be remembering it wrong but Mario used to be more difficult and feel more rewarding. It’s a great game with lots of lovely characterisation but it just seems to be missing a few things that I remember as being MARIO.
  • So I’m still in sand kingdom. Have 50/69 moons. Keep failing timed one. Two others I know of that I can’t get to :
    Spoiler:
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Keep going forward, enjoy it, come back. I revisited one area and got close to twenty moons just pootling about.
  • Good idea. Going back to previous area now...
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I contacted them earlier and was told it'll definitely arrive today, which I thought was the perfect set up for some sort of compensation as it clearly wasn't going to arrive today.

Reopen the chat-window of doom!
  • Verecocha wrote:
    BERESFORD that's the beauty of this game man. Why the fuck do you want a big intro for a dinosaur? That's you all over lol! All Johnny big balls cinematic shite.

It just throws a random T-Rex in there like it's nothing. It doesn't need a bloody great build up and by Christ am I glad of it. Same with the pre flyover in the levels. There are ways to do that but you have to earn it.

But you didn’t earn it, the T-Rex was just laid there sleeping and you toss your cap on him. He’s not roaming the levels and you’ve gotta do something amazing to get him for the first time and earn the ability going forward, he’s just...there..asleep on a hill...throw your cap on him and he’s yours. Mario 64 you’d enter the levels, and I may be remembering it wrong but it’d have a short flyover and musical piece and you’d see things and think oooh how do I get there. Of course it’s grest finding it but it was ace seeing different bits and then working out how to get there. But as I said I may be mixing my memories with MK flyovers.

The shops within the levels have less character as you just walk in, there’s no ‘Hello there we’re the MARIO Mexicans, save our lands and we’ll give you a hat etc’, all this stuff is merely bought with the in game currency, just walk out after the first time you've been in and you’re wearing a sombrero and Mexican outfit, you don’t really earn it by meeting a certain character or areas aims or objectives, you’ve got thousands of gold coins and within minutes tons of area specific coins to just buy this stuff. It’s just there.

I may be remembering it wrong but Mario used to be more difficult and feel more rewarding. It’s a great game with lots of lovely characterisation but it just seems to be missing a few things that I remember as being MARIO.

Nah. It's all Mario to me. All those things you've just mentioned are icing on the cake. No faff or fanfare. No bullshit. Just pure gameplay loveliness. Have you read the Edge review?
  • Not yet dude, got it at home though and will get round to it! Glad you’re loving your Switch though dude!
  • Just an image of Mario in the third area (the first one you get to in the Odyssey):

Spoiler:
  • One of the first things I did was buy that outfit.

It's too cute.
  • The only thing that bothers me with the motion is having to waggle to climb poles faster and that roundhouse move that takes loads of enemies out. Not sure how you'd pull that off in handheld mode and it's dead handy...
    It’s not great, because sometimes it thinks you’re throwing and homing, rather than just wanting a circular sweep. The speeded up climbing is easy enough, but I’m yet to climb anything pole enough to care.

It’s bullshit, though. Loads of buttons doubled up, and no button alternative for the wavy-wavy shite. It’s a fucking spectacular game but Nintendo can shove their wavy-wavy up their arse.

Gav, I saw your stance, in relation to motion controls, that the game is for everyone, not just me. But in not providing alternatives, they haven’t made it for everyone. They’ve made a definite decision to marginalise a significant portion of the audience. It’s not good enough.

From experience, folks, how often do Nintendo realise they’ve made a mistake and patch this kind of thing?
  • The music in forest kingdom is really good.
  • Escape wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I contacted them earlier and was told it'll definitely arrive today, which I thought was the perfect set up for some sort of compensation as it clearly wasn't going to arrive today.
    Reopen the chat-window of doom!

I tried, but got a You lost today, kid gif.  

Motion thing in handheld is a shame, that would've been my preferred way of playing.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Two things...this game feels as smooth as milk. 60fps has to remain the norm from this point on.

The other thing... The way dialogue has been presented has felt very polished indeed...

I can't put my finger on it, because it's quite a complicated intangible...

I mean, there's no real language, just that unintelligible sampled gibberish that Ninty have pretty much locked down since the original Starfox.

And the dialogue itself isn't exactly Murikami (though there's a long way to go), but there was a weird bit where an NPC was merely explaining the controls... And it felt like watching one of the better Pixar movies...

Zelda did loads of things extremely well, but I found it hard to enjoy much of the dialogue... Even though dialogue is essential in Zelda. You can barely get through the game without it...

Here, it could have easily taken second place, but the producers have really put it in the center of this game...

At least that's what I think.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Anyone else tried the video capture in this? I tried it on MK8DX and got a lovely, smooth video. Tried it on this and I get a juddery, lower-res disappointment.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I fucking hate this. The controls are awful, I can't stand this motion control shit. I'm on some shit early level and it's already pissing me off because the plumbing cunt won't do what I expect him to do.
  • It’s not ideal. I’m managing to get by, but have on occasion not been able to do the fucking circular sweeping attack thing. 

Funniest was when I was crouching from something, decided to itch my nose with right hand and rolled to my doom.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Back to the very start of some level again. That's fucking it. Getting sold.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message

Should've let it fly at the end for comedy purposes. They seem to have recaptured the joy of 64's movement, but then stuck their fingers up at its origin — analogue precision.
  • Why they couldn't have one of the triggers for the sweepy roundhouse move is beyond me. We don't need both triggers to be crouch FFS. It has started to annoy me, especially on the boss that throws
    Spoiler:
  • Kow wrote:
    Back to the very start of some level again. That's fucking it. Getting sold.

Ooof.
  • Andy wrote:
    From experience, folks, how often do Nintendo realise they’ve made a mistake and patch this kind of thing?
    Nintendo make mistakes? Never. They're quirky design decisions.
  • cindemon wrote:
    It really does feel like a true Mario64 successor.
    This is a killer for me. Wasn't interested in another Mario game until I started reading things like this.

The waggle stuff does sound pointless and shit though.
  • To be fair to Ninty - and I have been very critical of them these past few years - they’ve been decent with patches recently. I’m pretty sure dual-audio was patched into Zelda, unless I’m mistaken, which was something I didn’t think they would do. Because, you know, Nintendo.

They are still far too backwards, for my liking, but the Switch seems to be a step forward in some ways.
  • Andy wrote:

Ladies & gentleman, I present to you exhibit A, Starfox Zero.

Tbf, as i said earlier, I turned off the motion controls, slotted the con's back & been propad all the way, & it's been....perfect(even hand-held mode felt good) & I'm noticing no difference from any other 3D Mario. Struggling a bit to perfect cap jumping, but that will come in time. Perhaps there is not a way to climb poles faster(not sure yet, will try next sesh)without a motion waggle but it's a feature, along with other motion features I doubt I will not miss or have my experience tarnished by refusing to flick n wave. Time will tell tho, but so far, so good in my waggle-less play through.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!