Which ailments currently beplague you
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    I dunno what is going on but over the last two or three months I appears to have been perpetually ill. Chest infection, tonsillitis, cold, and now another cold! I don't feel run down, I haven't been out all that much, been using hand sanitizer religiously. The only thing I think it could be is: (i) A few hospital visits to see a sick relative or (ii) Having a baby in the house (can they act as incubators of viruses etc etc?)

Kids are a nightmare for making you ill - especially once they start nursery.  Being perpetually tired also can't be good for your immune system.

I have a chest infection, again.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • If my friends / family are anything to go by, having a baby means your diet goes to shit, nutrition wise.  That could leave you open to more infections.
  • I have whooping cough.  The internet tells me that apparently vaccination wears off over time, so I suppose I got unlucky.  It started off with a persistent sinus infection and headache three weeks ago that I though was just sinusitis, and then became a cough that I though may have been a resulting chest infection, but then the cough lingered and has gotten progressively worse.  I'm about to finish my second course of antibiotics, but the symptoms can last for quite a while including bouts of coughing so severe that you cannot breath and coughing to the point of vomiting.  On the up side between the coughing fits I'm just fine, after I catch my breath that is :-(
    Shit disease.
  • Interesting. The viruses I've had this year also started as sinus infections that then moved into my chest.

global sickness

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Not kidding, same here.

Has there been a government lab security breach that we should know about?
  • I haven't had a sniffle this year. Juz sayin ;)
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    I dunno what is going on but over the last two or three months I appears to have been perpetually ill. Chest infection, tonsillitis, cold, and now another cold! I don't feel run down, I haven't been out all that much, been using hand sanitizer religiously. The only thing I think it could be is: (i) A few hospital visits to see a sick relative or (ii) Having a baby in the house (can they act as incubators of viruses etc etc?)

I'm no expert but ill all the time?

Deffo aids. Sorry Griff. 

Can I have your stuff?

EDIT: Also hand sanitizer makes you weak. All of the obsession over the last 20-30 years for chemically sanitising everything in your house so there are no germs left is why kids these days have terrible allergies and respiratory problems. There is nothing for their immune system to fight when they are babies and spend 90% of their time indoors.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
  • Is that a no for the stuff, or a no because you have aids?
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Both.

BTW single guys, you should get checked regularly for stds, doesn't take long.

FYI I have a clean bill of health in the respect Rooj.

PS acronyms are fun.
  • TYVM for giving me a quick resume of your sexual health history Griff.
  • Roujin wrote:
    I dunno what is going on but over the last two or three months I appears to have All of the obsession over the last 20-30 years for chemically sanitising everything in your house so there are no germs left is why kids these days have terrible allergies and respiratory problems. There is nothing for their immune system to fight when they are babies and spend 90% of their time indoors.

Do you have kids?  They're perpetually sick!  There's plenty for their immune systems to fight when they have a sniffle for 2 out of their first 3 years.
  • Yes once they start mixing with other kids as they always have done then their immune systems have something to do. But apparently that's not the issue. The problems start when they are little newborn babblers. These days people's houses (on a biological level) are way cleaner than they used to be.

That means that these days there are little toddlers whose immune systems are totally unprepared for when they start mixing with other kids. They lack the previous couple of years worth of strengthening they would have got in the past. Kids don't have to be throwing up and getting the sniffles to be fighting germs. Those are just the diseases that manage to effect the body, there are thousands of occurences of your immune system kicking the shit out germs that we never even notice. However these days there is much less of that going on during newborn infancy and early toddlering. Then the little blighters mix with the other kids and get proper tonking. Which is where the infections that can lead to lasting respiratory problems and allergies and the like are able to take hold and do the damage they would otherwise not be able to do.

Nothing personal, but I fucking hate it when people with kids ask me if I have kids and then make an obvious point or glaring observation about raising kids. I have no kids, I have a fucking awesome grasp of the sciences though, so I think I can hold my own against real parents when talking about babies, germs and the current lack thereof in modern households and a correlating rise in allergies and respiratory conditions in youngsters.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Nothing personal, but I fucking hate it when people with kids ask me if I have kids and then make an obvious point or glaring observation about raising kids. I have no kids, I have a fucking awesome grasp of the sciences though, so I think I can hold my own against real parents when talking about babies, germs and the current lack thereof in modern households and a correlating rise in allergies and respiratory conditions in youngsters.

Yikes, sounds a bit personal.  Sorry!  I wasn't trying to claim that you wouldn't know something about germs etc, rather that without having kids you might not realise just how much of their life the average 3 year old has spent with a semi-permanent disease of some sorts.

It surprised me how often Nim had a cold at first.
  • No, wasn't personal, that is my stock level of vitriol reserved for all parents making that comment. I'm an equal opportunities grump. 

Please don't follow me out of the thread and beat me up.
  • Roujin wrote:
    No, wasn't personal, that is my stock level of vitriol reserved for all parents making that comment. I'm an equal opportunities grump.  Please don't follow me out of the thread and beat me up.

You know I'm not into that.  I haven't deliberately wound you up enough to justify an attempted self defence excuse anyway.
  • Ex elm, you're a massive cunt.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Ex elm, you're a massive cunt.

I'm sorry?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I think Griff is making a 'joke'.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret wrote:
    I think Griff is making a 'joke'.

Can you explain it to me before I go off in an unwarranted huff?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Nope.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • The worst comedy never needs an explanation.
  • I really don't get it then.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    I really don't get it then.

Anyway. 

But back to my sneezing while flying question...
  • Had a really bad throat for about a week, thought it might be the sign of a cold but it's just my throat getting worse and worse :(
    Twitter: Andy_Wharton | PSN: thehumantarget86 | Xbox Live: humantarget86 | Steam: thehumantarget
  • Combat pilots learn to override (or don't have in the first place) a sneeze-reflex (e.g. when squinting into bright light). Confirm or deny, Elm?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Decided to come to the walk in centre as I've had a constant pain below my stomach to the right for 3 days and it just got worse. I was reluctant until the Missus nagged me to submission. 

Wish me luck!
  • Combat pilots learn to override (or don't have in the first place) a sneeze-reflex (e.g. when squinting into bright light). Confirm or deny, Elm?

Errr... deny.  You can sneeze if you like, it's just not nice in an oxygen mask.

There aren't many circumstances where a tiny sneeze will result in death.  There are times it's undesirable (close formation in cloud, in the middle of a strafing attack, etc), but same as most things, you can generally control the urge if it's a bad time.
  • It's one of those factoids that you can't be a combat pilot if you can't control your sneeze-reflex. Never knew whether it was actually true or not.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!