Which ailments currently beplague you
  • Just hack off your face and we'll call it a draw.
  • Had a blocked ear due to earwax for about 10 days now. Been using drops, but still can't hear. Tin mentioned you can get something to syringe out at home. Looking on amazon there seems to be two types, one that looks like an actual syringe that shoots water out at different angles, and rubber ball ones which would be just one stream straight out. 

They're the same prices, so is one better than the other?
  • Having suffered from regular ear blockages for most of my life I personally wouldn't go near an at-home syringing solution. I've found that docs won't even do syringing anymore, they'll refer you for micro-suction treatment. Plenty of places do that for a wee fee, including Specsavers, and you can often get a same-day appointment.
  • Had a blocked ear due to earwax for about 10 days now. Been using drops, but still can't hear. Tin mentioned you can get something to syringe out at home. Looking on amazon there seems to be two types, one that looks like an actual syringe that shoots water out at different angles, and rubber ball ones which would be just one stream straight out.  They're the same prices, so is one better than the other?

You want a bulb syringe - you're unlikely to use excessive pressure with a bulb syringe, and thus unlikely to do any damage.  (A regular syringe is a Bad Idea).  Don't use it if you've got earache, active infection or a history of a perforated drum. 

Make sure you soften the wax first - get some olive oil drops and ideally use them for a couple of weeks. (Lie on one side, pop 2-3 drops into the affected ear, and then stay on that side for roughly 15 minutes).  Do one ear at a time as you may find it actively worsens the hearing at first. The oil softens the wax and is sometimes enough to clear it completely.  If not, use the bulb syringe following the instructions that come with it.

If the bulb syringe doesn't work, talk to your GP - they'll either offer to syringe it themselves with more powerful equipment or refer you for micro suction.  (Or, as Kaz says, you can pay someone to do it if you'd rather.  Make sure that the person doing it knows what they're doing...  Softening the wax is still a sensible thing to try first.)
  • Cheers Tin, been using drops since last Friday, and it has made it worse. I'll grab a bulb one then.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    As Mr Ears I would advise against putting pressurised water in your lug holes but then again I have had mastoidectomies in both ears, cholesteatomas, titanium implants, and currently have otitis media.
  • Good news! My arm is nearly healed!
    All the blisters burst, the old skin layer has pretty much peeled off and the fresh new skin is looking healthy.

Looks like it might not even scar!
    Plenty of moisturiser applied and it's almost good as new.

Huzzah!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Maybe a small scar would be helpful in remembering what not to do.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Speaking of scars … I’ve got one on my arm from a horsefly bite three years ago. And at this time of year, just as my hay fever starts to kick in, it starts itching again. I’m starting to wonder whether I should go see my GP about it. Pretty sure an old bite shouldn’t itch every year like that.
  • alien-busting-out.gif
  • Wouldn’t surprise me with fucking horseflies. Nothing would.
  • Horse flies are utter bastards. I once got chased by one on a cornish coastal path for at least 50 metres before I managed to get away from it.
  • Screenshot-20240328-202157-Google.jpg
    This stuff is the absolute GOAT of insect bite creams 
  • Yep. Always keep two tubes of Anthisan in the house. It helps so long as you put it on straight after getting stung/bitten.
  • I’ve seen a horse fly.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Google seems to be suggesting that a still-itching horse fly bite might be some kind of allergic reaction, but probably worth seeing a doctor, (or consulting the resident forum doc which is tin soldier I believe?)
  • Yeah, but the infection thing is more about still itching a couple of months later. Not annually synchronised with the tree pollen season. Think it might actually be some sort of shit superpower bestowed by the radioactive horsefly.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It's a spidy sense for warning about nearby horse flies, the bastards.
  • Supposed to be doing a 10k run on Sunday but i hurt my heel last week at footy and still can't put weight on it and also now full of lurgy. Coughing and sniffing non stop. :(
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Is that the North Tyneside 10k? Just jog round steadily and enjoy the scenery, usually a nice t-shirt for doing that one.
  • A fair few years ago it was a really hot summer and the horseflies on Arran were ridic. It was probably 5hrs up the mountain and back and on the trek back to the car we got slaughtered. Yellow puss everywhere for the next week or so.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Is that the North Tyneside 10k? Just jog round steadily and enjoy the scenery, usually a nice t-shirt for doing that one.

Yeah. First time for me doing that sort of distance. Was just building training nicely until injury and illness but hopefully will get through it
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    I’ve seen a horse fly.

I've seen a house fly
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • My man!

I saw a peanut stand, heard a rubber band
    And seen a needle wink its eye
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've had a big Pseudomonas outbreak in my left ear and been at hospital for 2 occasions in the past week. It's miserable.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I've had a big Pseudomonas outbreak in my left ear and been at hospital for 2 occasions in the past week. It's miserable.

Ah, shit, that doesn’t sound good. I hope you’re firmly on the road to recovery.

poprock wrote:
    Speaking of scars … I’ve got one on my arm from a horsefly bite three years ago. And at this time of year, just as my hay fever starts to kick in, it starts itching again. I’m starting to wonder whether I should go see my GP about it. Pretty sure an old bite shouldn’t itch every year like that.

Scars can itch recurrently. The damage to the skin means they tend to be more likely to get inflamed/ respond to histamine. Whilst itching can be a sign of infection, if it’s cyclical it’s more likely very annoying, but nothing to worry about. Emollient cream (moisturiser) might help as dryness is often a trigger. Antihistamine certainly will. If it gets red, or painful (and especially if the redness spreads), or generally changes in appearance. get thee to a doctor.

• Moisturiser? Got it. Thanks Tin.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    But I'd think I'd seen about everything, when i see an elephant fly.?

Get well soon
  • Bloody annoying cough that just won't stop, throat feels like razor blades, nothing really eases it. Whole household has it to different extents. Not had a good night's sleep in about a week. Topped up with a snotty nose too though a minor thing in comparison.
    Did manage my 10k on Sunday but last couple of days have been miserable. Good week to take off work to spend with kids when we've all just lay around coughing since Friday ;)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!