• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    “I was hoping that it would be some type of lymphoma.”

That’s a sentence you don’t ever particularly want to hear from your consultant, wishing that the unwelcome intruder currently strangling random bits of your insides was a really serious form of cancer rather than the extremely serious form that you have instead.

So, in the end, we’ve settled on “late recurrence germ cell cancer, unknown primary,” which apparently translates to “cancer of cancer.” A very small number of cancer cells that have been dormant in me for over 20 years have mutated and reactivated. Again, unfortunately (I’ll stop using that word in a minute), this has then spread through my lymph system, and throughout my body with no noticeable symptoms, until of course, it’s too late.

Too late for what?

Too late for a total cure. Instead, we go ahead and treat what we find with a combination of chemotherapy and radiotherapy, balancing toxicity with quality of life (the basic premise of each of these treatments being to poison/irradiatiate you over a period of time and hope that it kills the tumours before it kills you). The first stage of this has gone really well (high praise from my consultant, who I don’t think has ever exaggerated anything in his life), with significant shrinkage of the primary tumours, no new occurrences of cancer, but still traces in my lungs and spine, which will be treated as and when they become a priority. As an aside here, I should suggest to my consultant that someone should write a paper on the euphemistic size comparisons for tumours. Every image I’ve been provided with are very masculine: golf balls, cricket balls, bullets, grenades, ruminant testicles. At no point have I ever been told, “You’ve got a cancer the size of a fairy cake.”

So, anyway, for now key objective for treatment is not particularly making me any better, but not letting me get any worse.

This basically means that currently, I’m quite well, rather, all my symptoms are a collection of petty annoyances. One day my back hurts, then that goes away and I’ll have a stomach ache for a couple of days, then I lose my appetite. This terminal cancer thing is extremely inconvenient.

On the plus side, I now have a permanent port fitted in my chest, just under the skin from which blood can be taken or drugs delivered without the need for a cannula to be stuck in me. Portacaths are amazing. God forbid any of you, or family goes through something like this, but if you do, I recommend that you explore the possibility of having one fitted. It saves a lot of hassle and pain.

Actually, seriously, everyone should have one. It makes everything so much easier. In fact everyone probably will in the future. We could put food into it. And booze. And vitamins. And software updates. And cheese. Or whatever passes for cheese in the future.

Also on the plus side, due to the private health insurance I have through work, I’m not draining our NHS of resources. I’ve no issue at all with our health service, indeed, I’d be receiving the same treatment from the same consultants (albeit in a slightly less comfortable bed), but if I can reduce waiting lists or resource requirements by one patient, that’ll do me.

Work have been amazing up to now. With a slight change in my responsibilities they have been happy to keep me off the “long term sick” stats, meaning that I’m still on full pay, and can indulge myself in a bit of gaming action as well as do work, although I’ve had to have a break from both since Xmas due to a couple of infections. 

On a more spiritual level, things become a lot simpler. Friends, family and here have been a lifesaver (note, if you could actually save my life, that would be great, thx), no need to put up with extraneous bullshit, I am lucky enough to know that my out of control bus is on its way whilst I stand whistling at the bus stop and the time I have left should be used to enjoy myself and truly live for the day, health permitting. Basically, “I’m not going to die today, or tomorrow so let’s enjoy it.” Fucked if I’m going to spend what time I have left (which could be months or a couple of years) moping and morose. 

I have found though, that a surprising number of people all of a sudden have their own favourite magical diets, homeopathy and religious new-age cures, or at least a conspiracy theory about big pharma hiding the efficacy of vitamin C, kale, magnetism and weed. I am slightly interested in the last one to be honest, if it doesn’t make you better, at least you don’t mind as much, and fancy a selection of snacks.

So anyway, that’s my update. Sorry it’s not better news, and more importantly, don’t stop posting in this thread, everyone’s ailments are perfectly valid, and to be honest, probably much more painful than mine. AMA, and I’ll keep the thread updated (whether you like it or not) with current treatment, how I feel, and what is being stuck in me and where. I’m good like that.

Shit.

Hugs.

Edit: well if that wasn’t the worst page turn in the history of page turns.
  • Yeah... Shit. Hugs. What more is there to say?

Forum's here for whatever you need it for, mate, whether you need to talk, take your or mind off things, or just let stuff out.
  • Big up Mostly, you seem to be handling it like a champ. Hope everything goes as well as it can for your treatment bud. 

Also can I just say that because of your avatar I read all your posts in my head like they are being spoken by Archer and now I can't stop thinking of the breast cancer episodes. If it all goes to shit, make sure you get your RAMPAAAAAGE in at least.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Well that fucking sucks.

Still, look into Big Pharma hiding the curative powers of Destiny 2.
  • M0s, your posts in this thread are always laced with amazing amounts of good humour and dignity, and they are an inspiration to us all about how it's possible to carry on with life in the face of an unstoppable tsunami of real-life shit.
    If I could reach out and give you a cure, I'd do it in a heartbeat mate.
    But I can't.
    So I'll just do the only thing I really can do just now. Send you my best wishes and a big virtual hug.

If there's ever anything we can help with, just holler.

big love

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I just don't know what to say. Brutal and unjust come to mind, tbh. You are handling it with class, I'd be wanting to burn the world.
  • Thanks guys. Promise I’ll lean on you if and when required!
    legaldinho wrote:
    I just don't know what to say. Brutal and unjust come to mind, tbh. You are handling it with class, I'd be wanting to burn the world.

Don’t you worry man, there’s no need to find anything deep and meaningful to say. I do want to burn it all some days, fortunately I’m a massive fantasist and a narcissist, so I can push reality out of the way. oh and the Codeine takes the edge off.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Hugs.

Don't really know what else to add, it's good to read the positive tone and humor in your posts.

x
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    What a shitty day.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Much love Mostly, you've always been a star and you're handling it with dignity x
  • I know it’s a platitude, but if cancer could kindly fuck off, that’d be great, thanks.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Fuck. Don't know what to say, except I hope you squeeze as much joy and happiness into life as you can. Goes for everyone really. Keep positive, it's inspiring.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Love you Mostly xx

Document it here by all means, I'll always take time to read it.

ps fuk u canca
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    legaldinho wrote:
    I just don't know what to say. Brutal and unjust come to mind, tbh. You are handling it with class, I'd be wanting to burn the world.
    this too

Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Fuck, was hoping it wouldn't be this when I saw so many new posts here.

Nothing to be said, I guess, just hope everything goes as well as it can.

You've always been a positive presence here, Mos, and well, I dunno, fuck it all.
  • Thanks for updating us mostly, I’ve been wondering how you were getting on. Sad times but it’s great to see such a positive outlook from you. Glad your work are so supportive too, makes such a big difference.

I would be totally getting on the weed if I were you. Any excuse.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Much love Mostly xxxxx.
  • Thanks all, it means a lot, it really does.

We will keep on keeping on. Incidentally, something I have found is that life is actually really fun. A bit monotonous sometimes, but generally really awesome.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Now where am I supposed to complain about this cold I have?
  • Hugs Mostly. Been missing you and sorry to hear about how things have gone. Looking forward to catching up when you wanna return to the fold and sending you my love in the meantime.
  • Kow wrote:
    Now where am I supposed to complain about this cold I have?

And my toe hurts.
  • Catching up. Fuck.

Can't say much else other than you're an absolute inspiration to us all, mos.

Big love mate.
  • Love and Hugs Mostly. You are a much loved and invaluable forumite and you’ve been extremely kind to me in the past. The humility and grace with which you are dealing with this situation is humbling. Trite bit true - anything I can do, please let me know.
  • Shit mostly i really like you and in a bunch of great people your one of the greater ones that stand out which is a triumph in itself.
    Please keep updating and if theres anything i can ever do to help i will.
  • Fuck.

All the love to you, Mostly.
  • Thanks all, it means a lot, it really does. We will keep on keeping on. Incidentally, something I have found is that life is actually really fun. A bit monotonous sometimes, but generally really awesome.

Yep. We take it so for granted, this stupid life of ours, but it is indeed generally awesome if we step back to appreciate it, and we can, even this far into the 21st century. 

We must find humour in the darkest days and for now it's your forum name. 

I'm sorry you're dying. Mostly. X
  • There are no words.

I can only send my best wishes.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Shit news, delivered with a smile. If you can keep finding joy, Mostly, I think we all can too. Manly hugs an’ stuff.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Like others “Don’t know what to say” is the immediate response to your post. If I’m honest I only read it because Andy posted a link to it from another thread. I have never come here before. Your open and frank post has left me stunned. Most likely because, personally, I have never encountered this. Yet you have the self deprecating sense of humour that obviously makes you part of this little online backwater.

I don’t think I can say anything else apart from you are obviously a loved badger.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!