Which ailments currently beplague you
  • Actually re the above - I wouldn’t even really class myself as unwell.

Come on now, back to headaches and stuff.
  • I came in here to make a flippant comment about something affecting me but just read the last few pages and have decided against it.
    I know several people who have suffered with MS and know how tough it can make life, Uncle, you have my sympathies dude and I’m really sorry to hear about the situation with the GP failing to diagnose it. My fingers crossed for you that it gets dealt with appropriately and you receive any treatment that you need.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I saw a guy on Beast Master who had MS.

Surprised me.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I want to know what's wrong with Noxy. It's surely something amazing.
  • He can sense when another person has a bowel movement, but ironically not his own.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    He can sense when another person has a bowel movement, but ironically not his own.

Quantum Digestive Entanglement is a notoriously difficult condition to diagnose, so that could be it.  The good news is that once you've diagnosed it, you can no longer ascertain who has it, which essentially cures the person who first presented.
  • Fuck.

Sciatica's flared up again. Normally, that just means an increase in pain levels across my lower back. But it's different today, got the increase in pain, but also numbness and pins and needles all the way down my leg, right to my toes. Pains also radiated all the way down my leg to my calf. Managing 5 minutes upright then having to rest for 20. Think I'll visit A&E.
  • Probably patient specific, but doing planks (font and both sides) and bird dogs helps my sciatica immensely.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    A friend told me that sleeping with his feet on a pillow has sorted his out a fair bit.
  • Aye, raising the legs while asleep is commonly recommended. Pillows at the knees work, too.

In total honesty, the absolute best thing I did for mine was seeing a decent osteopath. Took some effort on my part of doing the exercises he prescribed, but it's better now than I ever thought it'd be again; goes days without even a twinge.
  • Back exercises are best kept until you've seen a doctor or physio, as they are generally patient specific.  That said there are some standard ones here - back extensions particularly can be helpful in the acute phase. 

If you get loss of feeling around your groin or backside (basically any part of your anatomy that would be in contact with a bike saddle) or any problems with continence (of either variety) go straight to A&E as soon as you notice the signs.

Otherwise, take painkillers and go see your GP.  Ice helps in the first 24-48 hours, after that you can use heat if more comfortable.  Try and avoid bed rest if you can, ideally you want to be on your feet and walking around.  However avoid bending, lifting and twisting like the plague.  (Be especially careful getting in or out of the car.)
  • Never head ice/heat suggested for sciatica before. How's that work, I thought it was generally for stuff with swelling?
  • AJ wrote:
    Never head ice/heat suggested for sciatica before. How's that work, I thought it was generally for stuff with swelling?

Sciatica's essentially just irritation/compression of the sciatic nerve (it's a symptom, not a diagnosis), and there's a bunch of things that can cause it (from muscle injury and swelling, to slipped disc etc).  Ice will have two useful effects - firstly it reduces swelling as you say - as sciatica is often (though not always) the result of some kind of injury there's likely to be some localised swelling even if you don't notice it.  (Indeed that swelling may even be the problem).  So ice helps reduce the blood flow, and thus reduces the inflammation.  It also has the handy effect of getting a whole bunch of nerves in your back to frantically send the message "this is cold" to your brain, thus helping to suppress the "this really hurts" signals you're also receiving. 

Heat has much the same effect with respect to suppressing pain signals, but it has the opposite effect on blood flow.  That's why it's not such a great idea in the immediate period after any injury (though it will make stuff feel better), as it tends to increase blood flow.  However once the initial swelling and bleeding has settled, there's an argument that increasing blood flow can help healing, and thus heat is often advised in the recovery phase.

Hope that makes vague sense - it's a massive over simplification, particularly the pain stuff, but it gives you a good starter for ten.  (If you want to know more with respect to the pain element, start by reading about "gate control theory", though there's a hell of a lot beyond that too.)
  • Yeah, that makes total sense, thanks. Didn't know about the pain suppression element of it and forgot the lots of things can cause sciatica, not just the wonkiness that causes mine and my friends'.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Quick shout out to Tin, we're lucky to have you x
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Thanks!  It's a pleasure.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    Quick shout out to Tin, we're lucky to have you x

Seconded
  • I think he’s like the perfect model gp or something, so yeah, thirded. He does get more than the allotted 7 minute meeting in here though which I guess means this thread is like Bupa or Nuffield or something.
    We should therefore pay him accordingly.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Nah, he’s NHS, so we are paying him accordingly, we haven’t given him a rise in years.
  • So it turns out if you damage ligaments and get swelling your muscles stop activating.
  • I’ve got ear ache. Going to the gp tomorrow. It’s probably linked to my sore throat :( fucking hurts mind.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • So, went to a&e on Monday. Physiotherapist said extreme sciatica, go see my gp for stronger medication. Gp gave me gabapentin, sent me back to hospital for an x ray, went today. Described my symptoms in a bit more detail, they were worried it could be 'cauda equina' syndrome. Apparently that can cause paralysis if not caught in time. So at this point, thanks to Google and webmd, I'm shitting myself.

Turns out i don't have that, I've got piriformis syndrome instead. That's the muscle that rotates your hip, sits on top of the sciatic nerve. It's in spasm and inflamed, putting pressure on the nerve, hence the excruciating pain in my hip, and the pins and needles in my leg and numbness in my foot (they literally stuck pins in my foot, couldn't feel a thing).

Doctor gave me a line on Tuesday, but i wasn't going to submit it. Doctor today told me in no uncertain terms to hand it in to my work.
  • When you say a line...
  • When you say a line...

Sadly, the 'scott canny come to work' kind of line, not the Peruvian marching powder.

Read the other day though, that cannabis is getting legalised for medical use. One if the applications is for chronic pain. I'll be standing outside my gp surgery the day it's on offer.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    We're all top tier demics in here of late. I've just got a ten day sick note due to a chest infections I've had for four weeks and can't shift. Coughing about 200 times a day at the moment.

Bored already.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    ran out of tissues
  • Dull ache under knees, slight/mild hot burning feeling and hurts a bit when I bend/squat... patellar tendonitis? Probably from running and jumping. 

Rest? Ice? Ibuprofen???
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I've just been to see the private dentist who did my tooth implant a couple of months ago. This was the final visit where he checks that it's knitted to the bone alright, and I can then go back to my own dentist to have a tooth finally fitted to the implant.

This has taken almost exactly a year (he fucked it all up the first time. The implant had to be removed. It was a month of unspeakable pain). 

It has cost an enormous amount of money. 

I don't like this cunt.

So anyway, I saw him for five minutes today. He held some sort of electronic gadget against the implant for a few seconds and then proclaimed that this time the implant has been a marvellous success. You don't have to come and see me anymore. You can now go back to your own dentist and he'll finish the job...

...that'll be £225 please...

Seriously, I'm in the wrong fucking business. £225 for a couple of minutes in which you basically did fuck all.
    Was all I could do not to just say, "Take my money and get the fuck out of my life!" as I left his practise.
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!