Looty & "Keep"?
  • I play quite a lot of FtP games, have no issues with the concept, but I don't like bought loot boxes.  Devs don't have to go that way to support their games.  League of Legends, Warframe, Fortnite - all hugely profitable and primarily off the back of direct purchases.  Let me buy the thing I wanna buy, not buy a chance to get it. Granted, it's more work for the dev to deliver a steady supply of desirable items, but that's far healthier for the playerbase and the game's reputation than making a mere handful of desirable items amongst a sea of trash filler content and telling you gamble with your money if you want them.  Edit: Loot boxes earned within the game and unavailable to buy separately - no problem.

Regarding Battle Passes, I've only had experience with a few, and they've been a mixed bag. You buy into a timed progression ladder (10 weeks / 3 months / whatever), with tiers offering rewards - and usually a particularly desirable reward for hitting the max tier.  Aye, they encourage you to play more than you normally might, but they also offer a genuine sense of progression and reward. The better examples, like Fortnite and Apex Legends, give you challenges to complete to help you progress (often changing up your playstyle in interesting ways) and also reward you with enough premium currency to purchase the next Battle Pass outright. Spend your tenner or whatever on one BP and as long as you play enough to get approximately two thirds of the way through you can continue buying BP's at no extra charge for as long as you play the game.  That's about as fair as you could want, it's still business after all. 

They're not all designed like this though (PUBG's first BP was a shit show), and I absolutely get Tempy's issues.  But honestly, I'll take a well implemented Battle Pass backed up by direct purchase cosmetics in a live service game over loot boxes any day.
  • Sorry I waded in last night with a question but not the energy to respond. Dad arrived, but I didn't realise how knackered  a walk back from the shops with some plates and shit would be.

I don't have an issue with F2P in general, but I think the models they use to implement it prey on people somewhat. I think of something like Dota's Compendium which is one of the better cosmetics, which unlocks stuff based on the money that everyone puts into it golbal, it has prizes and stickers and all sorts of things. It's a digital wonder, and half of the earnings goes to the tournament prize pool. But obviously, that pushes players to spend more, especially because it often has effects in game and you can see who has what and what they've paid. There's a big FOMO thing, which I think makes it worse for Kids.

Lootboxes with guaranteed drops are ok too I think or the lesser of two evils. Dota does them fine too, a bunch of rarity levels but if you keep buying the boxes you can't get repeats, so know you'll get what you want. Steam also has a market place so there is some value to the gumpf as well, I have bought games by selling cosmetics... but also Dota cosmetics often cost 10s to 100s of pounds, it's mad.

It's a very complex subject though. AT the time I thought this video on Fortnite summed up a lot of my feelings about it.

But I haven't watched it for a hot minute. I think it's always important to remember how this effects kids, and the idea of what's a good sensible purchase for us as adults isn't the same for kids, who have a whole network of social standings linked into these games and their cosmetics.
  • I don't want to appear like I am just repeating his stuff verbatim, btw. I just recall it raising some good points. I think it is a complex thing.
  • Gotta say, that vid was a real challenge.  I won't deny he raises the same interesting points others have before, but he misses so many others and offers no alternatives to his criticisms.

I dunno.  Maybe because I play so many FtP games I've become more tolerant of their practices, but Battle Passes and direct purchase cosmetics still seem like the best way to monetise a FtP live service game.
  • It’s not really his job to offer alternatives though is it, he’s analysing it the way it is.

Like I say, I haven’t watched it in a while so i’ll give it another whirl, but analysing something doesn’t mean you have to offer alternatives for your observations for those observations to be true.
  • Loot boxes can fuck off. Overwatch has a lot to answer for. Direct purchases I'm fine with.

My problem with ftp monitisation is most games seem to target whales, and so sell things for an obscene cost. For example, I play Sega Heroes, and they sell a single character for £35-40. One character. Combining this with the pressure the games put on you to spend I find it deeply unethical.
  • £35 - £40 is a huge amount for any content. I know nothing about Sega Heroes, are these just re-skins of other characters, or do they have a unique gameplay impact? Not sure which would be worse tbh.
  • Fuck it all in the bin.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • They do play differently. It's a match 3 game, and your matches control your characters attacks. Different characters have different passive abilities as well.

When a new character comes out, you can unlock them by direct purchase for the ludicrous amounts mentioned above, or by loot boxes, the odds for which are laughable. 0.5% chance of a full unlock? Sign me up!

They do have events that allow you to unlock characters as well, but to get enough shards you need to finish in the top 800 in your server, which if you don't have a full set of boosted characters you won't do. The boosted characters are always the most recent ones.
  • Bloody hell, Dante.  That all sounds a bit rough.  

The only mobile game I've ever spent any time on was Clash Royale.  Had plenty of fun with it for a couple of months and while I was aware of the aggressive monetization I didn't feel like I had to spend to do well, though that may have changed as time passed or with time committed.
  • It's frustrating, because it has the base of a good game, but I'd resent spending money on it.  This is from the Reddit page for when they released Weredragon from Altered Beast.
    You want to know what is really greasy? If you got all the milestones from the unlock event you have 57/65 shards. The only Weredragon options in the Weredragon loot box are 6 at 7% or 65 at 0.5%. If you hit on the first you STILL won't have enough for an unlock.
  • Edit: Loot boxes earned within the game and unavailable to buy separately - no problem.

Nah, they can fuck off, too. Playing Wreckfest recently, it just gives you stuff when you win races/events. No pissing about with animations, no nonsense where you get three items, two of which are stickers and one is an upgrade to a vehicle you don’t own. It just identifies something you don’t have yet, and gives it to you. That’s how it used to work, before all this fucking about.
  • Wreckfest is a paid game right?
  • Yup. I was just responding to that specific point about when lootboxes are okay. I don’t think they’re ever okay.
  • Even when you get them for free? At that point are they much different from an rng drop in diablo?
  • It’s pointless faff, an attempt to say, “Look at all the stuff you’re getting!” The whole process is just wasting time. I was thinking of the ones in Trials Rising when I wrote that earlier. It adds nothing of value, just pointless fucking admin, opening the fucking things and clearing out duplicates.

If someone wants a particular decal to personalise their bike, let them buy it. Don’t waste my time slowly and randomly making me collect a full catalogue of them.
  • I have to say I largely agree with Andy. Do Thing Get Thing is always my preference.
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • This is a tricky one to pick apart, what does this mean for MTG and other CCGs of its ilk? Where does the line get drawn? Removal all paid gacha and just have in-game awarded ones? There's definitely a different feel to gacha in CCGs as that's the entire model of the game, whereas in stuff like Fifa it's a secondary aspect that's been added.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Setting the gambling element aside,  in game purchases could easily become a sticking plaster over poor game design; certainly with respect to rewards and development of abilities etc.,  with the added bonus of earning more money for the producers. 

That isn't a good combination. The path only leads downward.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Maybe it is time card games were looked at.
    Those have long since moved on from being innocent fun, some rare cards from packs (not tournament or event cards) are going for serious money even when still in circulation.

They are less of a problem than loot boxes for sure though, firstly because the buyer at least gets something of value, even the lowest card can be sold on secondly because playing Magic or whatever doesn't actively harass the player to buy more cards.
    Oddly the argument that the cards have value I think means that strictly speaking they should be considered gambling already.
  • I think the fact that they're a physical thing using real money and not 'space-bucks' also factors into it, not sure how but it feels different. I think at the least much more prominent drop rates in games would help, it's EU law to display drop rates for your loot chests but they're often hidden away; maybe if '0.01% chance to get the thing you want' was more obvious it'd give people pause for thought.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Surely if you regulated blind trading cards you'd have to regulate any kind of blind bag-type product though?
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • nick_md wrote:
    I think the fact that they're a physical thing using real money and not 'space-bucks' also factors into it, not sure how but it feels different. I think at the least much more prominent drop rates in games would help, it's EU law to display drop rates for your loot chests but they're often hidden away; maybe if '0.01% chance to get the thing you want' was more obvious it'd give people pause for thought.

Yeah the drop rate thing needs addressing if nothing else.
    There was a thing with maybe CoD where the drop rate was for "Rares" but "Rares" included a bunch of shite and the thing players actually wanted.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Surely if you regulated blind trading cards you'd have to regulate any kind of blind bag-type product though?
    Yeah but I don't really see the issue. Blind bags really exist to create the same emotional responses in buyers and artificially increase revenue.
    There isn't really anything good going on with blind bags.
  • I do actually enjoy a gacha, fwiw - I enjoy the chance element and it's great when you get a sick pull. I'm a responsible adult though who can enjoy these things in moderation, others are more vulnerable / susceptible. I also think all gachas should employ a safety net mechanism, whereby you're guaranteed x if you don't get something good in y pulls.

One thing that doesn't well with me at all is gacha that affects gameplay in already-paid-for titles (like the Star Wars fiasco). If you've already spent bucks on a title you shouldn't then have to spend further to be able to compete. Gacha for cosmetics/taunts etc I don't really have an issue with.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Gacha for cosmetics/taunts etc I don't really have an issue with.
    I don't have an issue with them personally but I think they should still be age limited.
    nick_md wrote:
    the chance element and it's great when you get a sick pull.
    Anything that elicits this response when paid for should be treated as gambling really. I don't have a problem with that being accessible to adults but should abide by all other gambling laws.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!