Xbox One X - Enhanced Edition Bonerstroke Megathread
  • Initially, no I'm not.  Amazon allow a few months for returns this time of year so will test it some more, but I've a sinking feeing it's not much better than the excellent S model.

I am suoer happy with my upgrade from original to S tbh

PSN - minkymu
  • Initially, no I'm not.  Amazon allow a few months for returns this time of year so will test it some more, but I've a sinking feeing it's not much better than the excellent S model.

They've always said wanking makes you go blind
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • WorKid wrote:
    How do you find gaming on a projector? I've always been disappointed with projectors (find them kind of soft) and ambient lighting can be annoying, but presumably if you get the set up right it's great?

Its fantastic tbh. I have it in the attic space so have velux blinds to keep it dingy but even with them open it outputs a pretty bright image. I output all my retro consoles through it too via my receiver and they look surprisingly great on it too, with no noticable lag.

One thing I do notice is a bit of motion blur every now and again but thats probably because mine is a relatively budget projector.

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Did the PS4 'pro' have a launch line-up out of interest?
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Okay, just Robert being Robert then.
  • I wonder if we've seen the last of the brand new console and launch line up. From Sony and Microsoft at least.

Will each new box from now on be just a more powerful iteration, running the same OS and just upscaled versions of games as per PC software?
  • Louiecat
    Show networks
    Xbox
    louiecat
    Steam
    louiecat

Send message
    enjoyed about an hour of Origins when my new x decided it was going to stop. Forever hahahahaha.

My local Game took it in and I have another one, hopefully not of the same "batch"......the Game guy is a cool dude who said tech support at Msoft had no idea......

just glad all the games on my external drive have already updated with those huge patches!
    rest less
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Olimite wrote:
    Okay, just Robert being Robert then.

Well it actually had games so there's that.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Kernowgaz wrote:

You're probably right about that!  Which is why your missus does it for me.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I hope Chalice is taking notes.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • They've always said wanking makes you go blind

She's good and has small hands which obviously helps you.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    ssgkglkfmglkmdfkmdkf   '''
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yup, she is.
  • Will each new box from now on be just a more powerful iteration, running the same OS and just upscaled versions of games as per PC software?

That’s what both companies are saying in their press chat, aye. It remains to be seen whether that actually works in the marketplace. Nintendo will of course continue to launch new consoles that are completely different to their previous ones.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Was tempted by this and in the bad old days would’ve bought one, but reality is I don’t get that much time to play the consoles I have. Just bought the Switch, have a PS4, but very tempted with the FH3 shinies. Enjoy your 4K Boners folks.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Will each new box from now on be just a more powerful iteration, running the same OS and just upscaled versions of games as per PC software?

That’s what both companies are saying in their press chat, aye. It remains to be seen whether that actually works in the marketplace. Nintendo will of course continue to launch new consoles that are completely different to their previous ones.

They are? I thought Cerny had indicated that PS5 wouldn’t be beholden to PS4 architecture.
    Get schwifty.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I wonder if Sony will jump on the backwards compatible thing going forward, and whether Microsoft will be able to continue it. It's a big thing for me, especially with the amount of digital purchases I make these days. Will be interesting.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Microsoft undoubtedly need a good kicking for their lack of commitment to new exclusives, but they absolutely must be commended for the effort they’ve put into backwards compatibility. Sony really need to compete there instead of trying to sell us the same games every gen.
    Get schwifty.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:

Zing
    PSN - minkymu
  • Kernowgaz wrote:

She's good and has small hands which obviously helps you.

Double zing

PSN - minkymu
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    lol that means Gaz must have a small widgy too :D
  • FranticPea wrote:
    lol that means Gaz must have a small widgy too :D
    But I am a big prick !
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Get the next gen thread back open, the exhilarating war of the p's is back on lads.....

Need to get back on this with Sparkles, we were enjoying our co-op of it.
  • Played much ?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Think we were on Act 2.
  • Webbins wrote:
    I hope Chalice is taking notes.

Why?
  • Raiziel wrote:
    I thought Cerny had indicated that PS5 wouldn’t be beholden to PS4 architecture.

I missed that. Got to admit, I don’t keep that up to date with PS news.

In that case, it’s just MS who are openly saying that iterative hardware upgrades is the official plan. Which makes sense when they also say every game will be cross-play compatible with the PC version.
  • I don't mind this practice in theory, as long as everything works on the basic console for a decent amount of time.  The OG XBox One launched in 2013 (just checked Wiki, wow, didn't realise it was four years old).  I bought one, in S form, in 2016.  If I can still buy games to play on it three years from now that don't look like a bodge job and run smoothly it's a pretty good thing imo.  I think plenty of PS4 and Xbox games look fantastic, even older ones like Ryse etc, so guess I'm pretty easily pleased, which in theory will save me from feeling like I have to upgrade to play an exclusive.  It's the 'requires Scorpio to run' thing that I'm worried about, but that doesn't appear to be happening, it just allows people who want more in terms of visuals to fill their boots.
  • Escape wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:
    60fps Gears will be interesting even if only at 1080p with all the bells and whistles.
    The Megabone's battling against current TV tech. CRTs flicker at 50Hz (PAL) because electron guns fire every 50th/sec like this: Sa_H.png And although they're actually dark most of the time, our eyes aren't good enough to see it. The problem with all modern tellies is that they display each frame for its full duration, as shown. This is why we don't see flicker at 60Hz. But when our eyes recognise motion and track it at its current velocity, they move ahead of each static image causing it to smear, because they're using the overall velocity to inform their movement. If the TV's going 1---2---3, our eyes are going 123456789, where 2-4 and 6-8 are smudged as our eyes sweep across the held images. Sa_H2.png There are two favoured solutions: increase the Hz and framerate; or add strobing to emulate a CRT. 120Hz is close to fooling most of us, but no console's hitting 120 fps in the near future, so I'd like to see 120Hz Freesync as the next-gen standard, with 90 the minimum target. Strobing's where the screen's darkened in-between frames. My BenQ's service menu allows user-timings, where longer shut-offs trade brightness for improved eyetracking. Matching a CRT's phosphor decay makes it too dark, but you can get somewhat close. However, a lot of games have lower quality textures to maintain their framerates during motion. TVs have increased their brightness quite a bit over the past ten years, but HDR tellies are only just bright enough without strobing, and it's a big hit. Interpolation blends frames together, but with increased input lag. This tends to be a minor hit on monitors, but more on most TVs. Input lag on modern TVs is routinely twice as high as it was on the best models circa 2009. I saw a new Sony model for next year, and it's ridiculously thin. The market's a ouroboros, with customers invested in ever-slimmer, sharper (nonmoving) and brighter TVs, leaving manufacturers (who started down this road for the Buck Rogers dollar) with no choice but to pursue that angle. The Sony's tiny speakers are hopeless, and I think they should offer it with and without them. They could be a £20 option with curved projections on the rear to allow some air for a hint of bass (like sidemounted X-minis). 2018 FED/SED TVs could be the thickness of a 2008 LCD, but with grids of miniature electron guns. So you'd get the benefits of a CRT's image with the size (almost), heat, geometry and power consumption of an LCD. But thin wins, and until a manufacturer takes a brave gamble, we're locked in this cycle of disappointment. All developments over the past ten years have been workarounds for the inherent flaws of LCDs. Interpolation and strobing have been the sole performance concerns following the sorting of pixel response. OLEDs offer pure blacks as furtherance and little else, while HDR selectively increases brightness tied to a higher pixelcount that's undone by 30fps motion. The best OLEDs get down to around 8ms persistence, so that's ‘on’ for the first quarter of every frame at 30 fps, which is about the same as a cheap 120Hz monitor. TN monitors have significantly lower input lag values, though (half a frame versus two or three). OLED.png As for the Megabone, it's a bit hamstrung by its CPU at 60 fps. Exclusive games for it would certainly help, but that's not happening. I think it should've waited another year to take advantage of the first big CPU advancement in years.

Oh yeah I wanted to say cheers for this Escape, really interesting. Explains the sample and hold thing really well, wasn't really aware about the differences. It's funny how technology progresses, so many things are 'improved', then we tend to forget things that made previous interations so good.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!