GOTY 2017 - bestest gaming year
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    10 is too many, as is the points difference between first and second with that system. No big deal though really. I can certainly come up with 5 good 'uns, maybe a couple more.
    What do you think of Andy’s suggestion?
    Yeah, it's an option. It probably won't make a lot of difference in the end. I suppose I just favour simplicity, and if it ain't broke.
  • Anyway, from my PS4 only view at this stage, best games I've played so far were Persona 5, Horizon and Nex Machina, maybe in that order. After those there's Resi 7, Nioh, Nier, Rime, Prey and probably one or two others that were very good.
  • Rime is in there, dirt 4.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Will post a proper list with reasons, but so far it's hollow knight then some combo of d2, hob, pyre, Echo, pako 2 and Cryptark.

Movement will be based on getting further in Cryptark, pako 2 officially releasing and d2 dlc changes.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • 1: Mario Oydessy - 10

The best Mario title I've ever played and easily in the top 5 best games I've ever played. An absolute joy all the way through.

2: Zelda: BotW - 9

Amazing, awe inspiring addition to the Zelda series but the game had a few issues that irked me quite a bit after extended play. The sandbox potential is mind boggling but I felt it was under utilised.

3: Steamworld Dig 2 - 8

A wonderful game perfect for the Switch and I had a Metroid itch that needed scratching. Pretty much a flawless example. Great soundtrack.

4: What remains of Edith Finch - 7

Thought provoking and grown up with some really interesting ideas and some tragic tales. All woven together in a nicely paced but brief experience.

5: Nioh - 6

Brilliant combat and lovely deep mechanics. The loot was a bit much but it's a joy to play.

I've a feeling this will change. PUBG and Xenoblade are on the way...
  • Every badger has 100 points. You can allocate them how you want to up to a maximum of 10 games.

Multiformat games get double points. Any points awarded to sequels are divided by the number of that sequel, so 12 points for Tekken 7 is actually only worth 1.71428. Games only released in Japan get a 50 point headstart.

Every game released in 2017 must receive at least one point from a badger or the whole thread will be deleted.
  • WorKid wrote:
    Every badger has 100 points. You can allocate them how you want to up to a maximum of 10 games. Multiformat games get double points. Any points awarded to sequels are divided by the number of that sequel, so 12 points for Tekken 7 is actually only worth 1.71428. Games only released in Japan get a 50 point headstart. Every game released in 2017 must receive at least one point from a badger or the whole thread will be deleted.

You should be in charge.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    Will have a think about this and post here later....
  • Thanks Chalice. Good list.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • #1 Zelda because it's fucking amazingly brilliantly awesome. 
    #2 err i'm pretty sure Mario and Wolfenstein are awesome but i havent actually played them and unlikely too before finishing Zelda so i guess i can't vote for them!
  • 5. Sonic Mania (Switch)
    A wonderful wee reimagining of the main series I was obsessed with as a boy. Right level of nostalgia and feeling new. A triumph in the face of Sonic Team's continued fumbles.

4. Golf Story (Switch)
    The charm em' up to charm them all. Everybody's Golf: A Link To The Past. And from a team of two as well. The best non-Nintendo exclusive on the Switch. Sleeper hit.

3. Yakuza 0 (PS4)
    Still not finished it, but even what I've seen and done so far is enough for it to beat the majority of what I've played this year. At times the best written, most dramatic and multifaceted crime thriller you've seen, then in the next few minutes the most hilariously mental Japanese video game you've ever played. The world needs more of this game. Thankfully, Sega keep churning them out. Yet to open Kiwami!

2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Switch)
    I'm pretty sure a game will never captivate me as much as my first few days with this did. Pure adventure and survival, following me wherever I went. Everything made sense. Anything was possible. A masterclass in open-world design.

1. Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
    Come on down, Mario!

"Oh my god, I'm not prepared.... Honestly... I'm not prepared."

So it was always going to be this, for me. Another masterclass, this time in invention and reward. Brought the most smiles to my face all year, and at a time when I really needed them. Thank you, Nintendo. Really.

So there you have it. A lot of utter shit this year, but Nintendo have smoked it. Don't @ me.
  • Good work Elf.  I like the up to ten thing, it's been a pretty exceptional year.
  • Would agree that the points gap is overdoing it a bit though.
  • No one will probably have more than 5 except me by the time I’m done. So it may just end up same as always anyway.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Surely Odyssey can't be better than 3? It may be better than world but not 3!??

I think anyone who claims Odyssey as better than 3 simply wasn't there to experience the seismic shift that 3 represented. And yes I haven't played Odyssey, come at me etc etc
  • I've had a few, I should clarify
  • But that doesn't mean 3 isn't the best!!!
  • Its a bit different from GTA 3 mate.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Fuck this shit
    My brain didn’t fully take on board that it was you making that comment. So, a moment ago, I gleefully thought to myself that I could @ you for shits and giggles.

Still, I’ve made a thread that you could write War & Peace in, if you want.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    Tekken 7 is actually only worth 100

Tekken 7
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    1. Zelda
    2. Divinity Original Sin 2.
    3. Arms
    4. Player Unknown Battlegrounds
    5. Resident Evil 7

Wow, I thought of 5.
  • No idea what’s going on with the points system, I wasn’t consulted at all on this. Anyway, lock my top pick for maximum points or whatever.

1. Persona 5
  • 1. Nier: Automata
    2. Yakuza 0
    3. Persona 5
    4. Zelda: BotW
    5. Emily is Away Too
  • I don't think I've played 5 games this tray, let alone 10.

So...

1. Zelda
    2. Destiny
    3 Everybody golf

Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Weird - I seem to remember you being super up for Nier. You not got round to it yet? Or did I remember wrong?
  • I still need to play Nier.
  • Looked through the 52 games thread, and this is where I am for the year:

The top 5:
    1. Persona 5
    2. Horizon: Zero Dawn
    3. Nex Machina
    4. Resident Evil 7
    5. Nier: Automata

The just missed outs:
    6. Nioh
    7. Rime
    8. Prey

The nice try, no cigars:
    9. Yakuza 0
    10. Everybody's Golf

The not even closes:
    11. Little Nightmares

The they probably don't counts:
    Final Fantasy XII
    Wipeout: Omega Collection
  • JRPC wrote:
    I don't think I've played 5 games this tray, let alone 10. So... 1. Zelda 2. Destiny 3 Everybody golf ...

Ditto! 

1. Zelda BOTW - Completed this and bought my own Switch because of it. Picked up MK8 & Splatoon 2 and barely touched them to play it through a second time. Reignited my love for gaming. 10

2. Mario Odyssey - Brought me back to the N64 and GameCube days. (I thought Sunshine was decent). It looks amazing, there's so much to do and the difficulty increase is done perfectly. Incredibly frustrating at times, but I felt so rewarded when I finished the tricky moons. 9

3. Rocket League -  (Even though this doesn't count). Portable Rocket League and Cross-Platform play. Fantastic work by Nintendo to get this ported. ( 8 )

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!